RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Other than outdoor showers, what don't you use (and why?)

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Other than outdoor showers, what don't you use (and why?)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/12 01:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK we got answers to what the outdoor shower is used for (beyond the obvious..."Showering") so lets explore what else folks don't use and awnings have already been covered (no pun intended). The one thing in our rig we never use is the TV antenna, we simply don't watch braodcast TV and frankly never missed it. The darn thing doesn't work all that well to begin and forgetting to lower it could be a problem. Other than that there's nothing else I'm perpared to part with. So how about it folks, what could you live without and why?

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/12 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oven, never use it.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/12 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, as FT'rs we have already gotten rid of those things we didn't need or use.

Now.....we sometimes use the outdoor shower, we use the antenna and with new LED TV works good, we use the awning, the oven, the shower.......etc.

The one item we don't use but still have is that piece of junk fold out bed. The sofa part gets used....our dog loves to lay on it. But when friend visited us for last shuttle launch he tried to sleep on it (1st time used) and we ended up buying an air mattress and using it on the floor (wouldn't work on bed frame). After he left we yanked the mattress.......and use area for light storage. Thinking about couple of Euro Chairs.

campingliz

Bay Area, California

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/12 01:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have never used the microwave other than as a tiny cabinet. I wish the space was devoted to a propane oven instead.

We almost never camp with hook ups, so the microwave and air conditioner are not usable wtihout runnin the generator. Hate the generator noise, so don't use those elec only appliances.

Happy Camping!

Dog Folks

Naples, Fl. USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think part of the question is your particular "style" of camping.

In 30 years of weekend and vacation camping, we NEVER used an oven in any of the trailers we owned.

Now that we full time, we use it all the time!

Camping Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS
We also have with us a "fur baby." A Chihuahua mix.

Full time since June 2006

charlysmom&dad

illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never used the oven. We use a counter top convection oven and the microwave. Someday, we may take the oven out and put in a cooktop.

2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35H

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/12 01:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Different lifestyles, different needs.

We routinely use the outside shower for a variety of uses. Very handy for dry camping as well. Proper utilization saves a lot of grey tank capacity.

We routinely use the oven for lasagnas, frys, pies etc etc.

We routinely use the antenna as we like local news in addition to what the satelite provides. Heck in some places there are considerably more channels available over the air than over satelite. I think our TV found 146 digital channels when we were in Anaheim a few weeks ago. We have also noticed more parks not even having cable so I suspect the antenna will become more important over the next few years.

I can't think of anything on our rig we don't use right now but I would say our most used appliance is our under the counter beverage hot water dispenser hooked up to our 4 filter UV system. Even when dry camping we use it routinely although we try to time it to correspond to our two X 45 minute generator run times at breakfast and supper. Having said that, once hot using it in mid day doesn't seem to have much effect on the solar/battery capacity.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only time I have used the oven is when the mh was parked in the yard and we needed it to help with Thanksgiving dinner. Otherwise it is used for additional storage. Don't use the fold out couch. Don't care to have anyone sleepover. Use the awning(s) everytime we stop. Would not own a mh without them. Use the antenna, may change my mind on this one if I ever decide to get a dish. Have NEVER used the gen during camping. Will run it once a month to keep everything in good condition "Just in Case". Outside shower is great for rinsing off after a dip in the lake.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2000 Hurricane 30Q

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/12 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh Boy, where do I begin. I am one of those guys who load up stuff for Just in Case mode. So there is a LOT of stuff I don't use, but if you are only single-ling out factory installed stuff, I would have to say the bath room mirror. It's so high I can only see my top of my head. the women have the same prolem trying to do their hair in the morning

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/12 02:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My KZ's outside Cook Centre stove. POS - low pressure unit can't even boil a cup of water. I do use my Coleman Guide series stove all the time though!

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman
Camping Pic's and Mods
Winter Camping Tips and Tricks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Other than outdoor showers, what don't you use (and why?)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS