RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Shipping Wars- interesting selection of tow vehicles/loads

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Shipping Wars- interesting selection of tow vehicles/loads

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
I'm Rick James

Reno, NV, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 06:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whisperide wrote:

Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

Bfast is 100% correct, every vehicle used for commerce must stop at weight stations, the driver must hold an appropriate CDL for the vehicle they are operating, carry a valid medical card if needed and meet the minimum Federal insurance requirements.

Don

Fail.
DOT doesn't care so long as the truck is under 10K and the combined is under 26K.
It's not commercial if you do it as a non-profit LLC.
Do it this way, you also don't need any CDL.

Fail??? You're WRONG, do some research!

Where did you come up with "non-profit LLC"?

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 06:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watch it and i think a lot of the stupidity is made for TV. Case in point, on the last episode the Hippy got the bid to haul the bread truck from New York to Florida. What does he show up with, a small car trailer to try and haul an over 8000lb, 20+ft long, and over 8ft wide bread truck. How dumb. They show pictures, give length, width, and weight(estimates) on the page when bidding. I think they do this to make a what would be a very boring show exciting, to me it makes the people look stupid.
After watching this show, would you want someone to move your prized posessions across country?

Gman22

Burlington, Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been watching it so far, it's not bad. A lot of "made for TV" drama. I'm starting to call BS though. I mean last episode they were all bidding on a 40000 lb. antique caboose. I mean honestly, only one guy has a truck that can tow it so what are the rest of the dummies bidding on? The other thing I find amusing is how they all bid knowing very little. I mean if I want carpet installed in my house which is no big deal, they send someone to look at it before quoting. But these people are quoting jobs hundreds of miles away without seeing anything but one picture and basic info on the item. They have no idea about who's there to help load, is there machinery available or is it on their dime if they need a crane, is the property able to accomodate their truck/trailer i.e. overhead wires, turning radius, is the road paved or muddy. IMHO they leave all of this open ended for the "drama factor".

The caboose episode the driver had to pay a contractor to come on site and cut a section of roof off this old caboose so he could pass under some O/H wires - now why the heck should that $$$$ and time come out of the driver's pocket? If I (or any reasonably intelligent person) were quoting this, wouldn't you send someone to the property to evaluate these types of issues so that your price and time estimate is accurate???

And I find it funny how each driver comments on the other drivers' stupidity regarding decissions they've made and yet the same driver makes similar bone head moves e.g. "oh.........I can't fit that in my trailer" or "oh that car doesn't start/run, how will I push it into my trailer by myself?" or "oh...livestock needs to be fed and watered???" "Really? That means I have to stop and do that"?

On second thought maybe I don't like the show. 1995brave posted just before me so I never saw that post before posting....but it seems I'm not the only one who sees a lot of made for TV BS.

2011 KZ Spree 220KS
2006 Ford Expedition Ltd. 5.4 L/3.73

jetboater454

Camping or home

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 06:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your buddy that paid $14,000 in fines needs a better lawyer.Maybe the dealer plates on the truck/trailer triggered the stop. If you own the vehicles on your own trailer no reason to stop.Go to a lot of car shows and see how many pull in with 2/4 cars on them.Regular plates,no DOT numbers.No one I have ever talked to has had a problem.

Other half is camping with the angels,Riding alone for now.

2008 3500 Dodge Ram CTD dually 4X4 SOLD
2007 Gulfstream Endura Max 40 SOLD
2001 Polaris Ranger 4X4 SOLD
Harley Dyna Lowrider.

Mod Pics

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are hauling your vehicles then you are not "transporting property or passengers in interstate commerce" are you? So you would not need to comply to the F-DOT Regs!

And yes I'm 100% sure the dealer tags are what triggered the stop, those Bears use binoculars and if they don't like (or do like ) what they see they will come out and have a talk with you.

There have been some guys running MDT and converted class 8 tractors stopped towing their RV's. They must not have had the sign "NOT FOR HIRE" OR "PRIVATE RV HAULER" under or on the door.

Don

Currently truck less and trailer less. Sold the 2500 Ram and ordered a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Eco-diesel. Or as I have been told on here, the slowest & weakest truck on the market

whisperide

Golden Spike area

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 06:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm Rick James wrote:

whisperide wrote:

Bfast is 100% correct, every vehicle used for commerce must stop at weight stations, the driver must hold an appropriate CDL for the vehicle they are operating, carry a valid medical card if needed and meet the minimum Federal insurance requirements.

Don

Fail.
DOT doesn't care so long as the truck is under 10K and the combined is under 26K.

Fail??? You're WRONG, do some research!

Where did you come up with "non-profit LLC"?

Took me 150 hours of research, and 41 phone calls. You obviously did none. You fail.
This works legally, and the Shriners' hospital for needy children will be getting annual checks from my non-profit single-member LLC.

'06 GMC C2500HD RCLB gasser 4.10:1, 4L80E, custom camshaft
'84 Trans Am 6.2 diesel, 700R-4, custom Class-3 receiver
'69 F350 dually. GM 6.2 diesel, turbo, 700R-4, NP208 all pending.

whisperide

Golden Spike area

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 07:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whisperide wrote:

Don

Fail.

Do some research would you.

Classes of License:Commercial Driver's License Program (CDL/CDLIS)

The Federal standard requires States to issue a CDL to drivers according to the following license classifications:

Class A -- Any combination of vehicles with a GCWR of 26,001 or more pounds provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
Class B -- Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more pounds, or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 10,000 pounds GVWR.

Related Links

Disclaimer
I........- General applicability and definitions

(a) The rules in subchapter B of this chapter are applicable to all employers, employees, and commercial motor vehicles, which transport property or passengers in interstate commerce.

So go ahead and try and beat them at their game and tell us how it works out for you. Here is a hint, thousands in fine, possible jail time and possible forfeiture of your truck/vehicle.

Drive by an open weigh station hauling any of the above trailers loaded and most likely unloaded and the mean ole weight bear is going to have a nice long talk with you, even using a pick up truck.

I know a buddy was using a F-350 towing a three place car hauler. Had his dealer plates on both the truck and trailer. He was hauling his cars to the auction in Romulus, Mi. He drive by the weigh station just inside the Mich line and it cost him over $14,000 in fines tow/storage fees, and attorneys fees.

So again, go for it and let me know how it works out for you. Fail??? no you failed!

Don

Again, I did 150 hours of research and made 41 phone calls. I'm legal. Just not greedy. You fail, NOT me.

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is what I want to know........has Americans become so stupid (yes I'm included) that we find this entertaining????Really? Pawn Star's, Gold Rush, Storage Wars, really? What happened to real shows and real movies?

Now I do enjoy Survivor and the one were they go all over the World following clues, I forget the name. If I was in better shape I would try out for them, be afraid my fat ### would be lying on the beach gasping for air! There's a sight that would give the kiddies nightmares!

Don

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So are you a Shriner?

Again what part of "If you are not "transporting property or passengers in interstate commerce" you would not need to comply to the F-DOT Regs!" don't you understand?

And if you are doing an end run around the laws, as in "transporting property or passengers in interstate commerce" then you are a thief and should be put in jail.

So which one is it "Noble" are you just doing hauling to help a non profit or are you a tax evader?

Don

Cleaned up for better reading.

* This post was edited 02/01/12 07:57am by Perrysburg Dodgeboy *

deltamaster

Hilton Head Island, SC

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 07:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is what I want to know........has Americans become so stupid (yes I'm included) that we find this entertaining????Really? Pawn Star's, Gold Rush, Storage Wars, really? What happened to real shows and real movies?

Now I do enjoy Survivor and the one were they go all over the World following clues, I forget the name. If I was in better shape I would try out for them, be afraid my fat ### would be lying on the beach gasping for air! There's a sight that would give the kiddies nightmares!

Don

And I find shows like Survivor and Amazing Race to be fantastically ridiculous... to each his own.

As for the Shipping wars show... I saw in the latest episode the van died on the interstate. Overheated towing enclosed trailer with a big (commercial style) video game inside. Driver babied it a while but she gave up the ghost and he had to temporary lease a Dually Dodge in order to finish the trip.

He might have gotten away with it if it had been an E-450 but that van he was using was just not stout enough for the type of work he demanded of it.

I ride it like I stole it!
.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Shipping Wars- interesting selection of tow vehicles/loads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS