RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Insurance, Travel Club/Road Hazard & Extended Warranty??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Insurance, Travel Club/Road Hazard & Extended Warranty??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
reubenray

Pearl River, LA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 06:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since putting down a deposit on a Fifth Wheel I am being overwhelmed with what to get. Our trips for the next 5 years or so (until I retire) will be short 3 to 5 hours (travel time) away for about a week each time. These will occur 2 or 3 times a year. They will most likely be to the same area - (Gulf Coast-Alabama or Florida). I have been doing some checking/pricing, but I do not know what is high or not. Below is my current info. I have about 3 weeks to decide on what I want.

1) Insurance - I have two quotes so far. One is from Progressive (by dealer) and the other one is from State Farm (my car/home insurer). State Farm is $179 less with a $500 deductible. I have tried several times to get a quote online from Good Sams Club, but for some reason they will not bring up the info for a 2012 Cougar HC. What other options do I have for insurance?

2) Travel Clubs/Road Hazard - are these basically the same thing? I currently have AAA Plus for my vehicles and to add the RV it was $30 a year (this seems low, but I am pretty sure that is what she told me). I do not know exactly what it covers yet, but she is told me it covers everything that it covered on my vehicles, which is flats, towing, etc. AAA will be sending me a brochure. The other options are Good Sams Club and Passport America. Good Sams will work best for me because where I will be camping at none of the campgrounds take PA.
Several of them take Good Sams and AAA. But are these two (AAA & GS) comparable to each other.

3) Extended Warranty - the dealer sent me info on an extended warranty and it is high to me (48 months/$1644 to 84 months/$2124). My new Cougar only has a 1 year warranty. Is this worth getting? Also what other options do I have?

2013 Tiffin Allegro 31SA
2010 Chevy Equinox

RRUGG

Newaygo, MI,USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 06:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Insurance: shop around. Road service: Good Sam or Coachnet. Extended warranty: save your money. Too many reports here, in Trailer Life & Motorhome mags about how hard it can be to collect. Put that money in an account that you add to for possible repairs. My wife & I have been RVing and buying vehicles, RV for 48 years and, in all that time, only ONCE would an extended warranty have paid off.

RRUGG
2009 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 1500 4x4 5.3L
2011 Kodiak 281RLGS travel trailer
2011 Egg Camper
2010 Chrysler Town & Country
Good Sam life members
Bob & Grace professional retirees

Camped in 49 states. Missing Hawaii.

rr2254545

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Extended warranty is a Chevy vs Ford thing strong opinions both ways I buy them because I am not handy. Like any insurance policy you are playing the odds. I have not read allot on here about them not paying off.

Travel clubs and road service are not necessarily the same, it is just that Good Sam does have a road service service that is over and above the basic membership

Good Sam travel club will pay for itself in camping discounts

I have progressive insurance and it has many special RV riders, make sure you are comparing apples to apples as I do not know about state farm.

Finally AAA road side service in my opinion is not for RV's Coach Net or Good Sam offers much more than a road service, again compare them to what AAA sends you. I have AAA on the cars and Coach Net for the RV

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited, Air Force One
182 Campgrounds in the past 5 years

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 07:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are thinking extended warranty you really need to bargain with the dealer. They do bargain on those policies. The choice is basically personal.

I have had the GMAC insurance the GS type policy for about 20 years. My only claims have been broken wind shields. I have never had a problem on a claim. The reason I switched to GMAC was State Farm raised my rates when I had a broken window in my MH. The sunshield material I installed on the rear window didn't allow immediate entry and they left before they got into the MH. State Farm classified it as an attempted burglary.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

Kirk

Livingston, Texas.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/12 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1)For insurance I suggest that you may want to consider using one of the agencies that specialize in coverage for RVs and RV owners.
http://www.poliseek.com/rv
http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/
http://www.explorerrv.com/

2) If you travel much at all, Passport America is worth the price and the best part is that if you find you don't use it, you simply do not renew! It costs less than $50/year and takes only 3 or 4 nights of use for it to save money. I would not travel much without some road service as that can be a major issue. It takes only one time needing towed for you to recover years of annual fees from a service such as Coach Net. We have only been towed one time but the cost of that tow, from a Corps of Engineers lake way out in the country, to the nearest shop, would have cost us more than nearly $2500!

3) Before you make a decision on this one, let me suggest that you read the article from Escapee's Magazine on the subject. http://www.adventure.1tree.net/index.php........om_content&view=article&id=88&Itemid=124

Good travelin! ........Kirk
Professional Volunteer
Fulltimer for 11 years,
URL: www.adventure.1tree.net

reubenray

Pearl River, LA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was finally able to get a quote from Good Sam (GMAC) insurance. It was $350+ less than the lower of the two.

Is there policy OK.

Kirk - I will read the article tonight.

doublenot7

Clear Lake, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TV and TT and covered by same insurance company, makes any claims much easier. This is our first TT so I went with the extended warranty.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 10:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travel clubs, campground discount programs, and emergency road service programs are not all the same thing. It just looks that way, because some of the travel clubs are in the business of selling insurance products to members. Passport America is just a discount program; starting recently, Good Sam started selling it (to replace their own camping club, which merged with PA).

One way to get your hazard insurance costs down is to raise the deductible. $500 is pretty low. Another way to get the cost down is to simply not insure (financial responsibility goes with the tow vehicle, not the trailer) and be ready to absorb losses yourself. If you are financed, this may not be an option.

Similarly for service agreements/insurance sold as "extended warranty" and emergency road service insurance. The way to keep the insurance cost down is to be prepared to pay the costs yourself.

If you are not willing to self insure, shop around for better prices. If the dealer is selling you an insurance program, chances are pretty good his up front commission is nearly half the premium.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

PattieAM

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 02:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roadside Assistance - Good Sam ERS or Coachnet are nationwide. AAAPlus RV may not really be available nationwide - hear tell it's 'regional'.

As to extended warranties - your unit has a warranty as do the appliances. What would the extended warranty cover and it's cost. Most feel it's not worth the cost.

Discount Camping programs (annual for about $50) offer 50% discount on member campgrounds with restrictions. Before joining, check the campground lists and the restricted dates/times. (Passport America, CampClubUSA, Happy Campers to name a few).

Membership Camping (such as Coast-to-Coast, Thousand Trails) have various memberships, regional/nationwide, with some restrictions (ie., 14 days at a member campground then 7 days 'out' of the system). If interested, research thoroughly and BUY A USED MEMBERSHIP. Remember a membership is only good if you use it enough to offset the purchase price and annual dues/maintenance.

As to your insurance - the higher the deductible, the lower the premium. Granted your auto policy covers the camper being towed, but you might want to include it on your auto policy so if a tree branch falls on it in a campground or even your driveway.....it's covered.

There is alot of info in the 'sticky' portion of this forum.

reubenray

Pearl River, LA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 08:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As it stands right now we will not get the extended warranty.

It is still a toss-up between the Good Sam Club ($25)and AAA Plus ($30)for the travel clubs. At the campgrounds we have been looking at I get 10% off with either one of these plans. I have not found out about the regional issue with AAA and a brochure is on the way. The AAA Plus includes road hazard where I don't think the Good Sam one does unless you actually get the Good Sam Road Hazard plan.

The insurance is still the biggest issue to decide on and the biggest cost. Progressive is the highest, with State Farm being $179 less and Good Sam being $377 lower than State Farm. I still have a few questions I am waiting on answers from Good Sam, but this one is the front runner. These costs are all for a year and with $500 deductibles on each of them.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Insurance, Travel Club/Road Hazard & Extended Warranty??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS