We bought our Mexico insurance from San Xavier Mexico Insurance, out of Tuscan and Nogales, while still home in CO. Due to a series of continuing problems, we had to cancel our 4 month Mexico trip. I called San Xavier after 6 weeks as soon as we determined we couldn't go.
"Well why did't you call sooner?" they asked. Well duh! Anyway, they sell insurance in 3 month increments and I thought, the least they could do was refund the 2nd 3-month segment. Not a penny did were receive from them. And frankly, I'm sure ALL Mexico insurance (unfortunately mandated) would be the same.
Lesson learned: Do not BUY your insurance until the last possible moment before you cross the border. Just do your research ahead of time. We are $750 poorer for the experience.
MikeJin, I'm sorry you had a bad experience with San Xavier Ins. All the years we traveled between the US and MX by road, we used both Bob Acosta at San Xavier and Lewis & Lewis Insurance, changing only when our needs changed. Thankfully, we never needed either, but it was comforting to know that they both had good reps. Last year, my friend, Mike, chose Lewis & Lewis for his trip to Mazatlan. He expected to be here for the winter at first, but he's never been away from his kids for Christmas, and when he realized he couldn't manage that big a change, he left to go home early. He notified Lewis & Lewis when he got home, and though it took a couple of months, he did get his refund for the time he hadn't used. If you have a phone number for San Xavier in Nogales, call Bob Acosta (in our dealings with him, he was very helpful) and talk to him about a refund... it might be possible to settle the issue to your satisfaction. I hope so! Good travels! Lee
That's not any different than how it would be handled in Canada or the USA. Perhaps You might have gotten a break 30 Years ago when Insurance Agencies had some autonomy of Their own but these Days of competitive rates and computerised Systems there isn't much slack cut!
Sorry that you are not happy and are out the $
Rob & Jean
98 Dutch Star Diesel Pusher ..92 Tracker 4X2
As I understand it they will rebate if the start date for the insurance has not passed. At least that was what i was told by Don Smith a couple of years back when my wife found out she needed breast cancer surgery 2 months before we left. As it tuned out we only got delayed 2 weeks so it was not an issue. I am not sure if SX uses the same Mexican insurer as Don Smith. purchasing it within a couple of weeks of leaving is a good idea.