|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Report on my new Fun Finder X-139

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've taken our maiden voyage in our new trailer, and it went pretty well -- if you have a few minutes, here is a report on the trailer itself:

My new X-139: mostly pros and a few cons

(And if you want to read about our trip to the southern part of Sequoia National Park, please feel free to click on the "trips" link in my signature, below.)

And I guess I will have to update my signature photo -- that's my old trailer in the picture, not the new one!

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice storage...the RV Companies should take notice! Glad everything is workig out!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

Tiger4x4RV

San Diego County, California

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice TT! Let us know how that storage cupboard with the floating shelves works out on rough roads. And have a great time acquiring some "forest pinstripes" on the outside!

2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

mitch5252

NW Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VERY nice mods! Sure wish I had your talent!!

Congrats on the new Fun Finder!

Regards,
Michelle

2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tiger, the floating shelves work fine on rough roads, because all of our soft goods (clothing and linens and paper towels) act as buffers. We were on some very rough country roads at pretty good speeds, with no problems. My guess is that the shelves will do fine on dirt roads, since the speeds are so much slower.

If the shelves were empty, they would bounce around a lot!

ewarnerusa

Helena, Montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 02:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My father has a Funfinder 139X that he only used during hunting season and my wife and I used the rest of the time. We LOVED using it, but of course not everything was perfect. This was the first RV-camping we had ever done (dry camping/boondocking only in it), so everything I know about TT comes from our couple years of using this thing. I believe it is a 2007 model, looks exactly like your's does (I think). I like your custom cabinetry, good idea. Although I had no problems with the stock setup. Regarding your water heater comment, I always switched it off at night and on again in the morning. I found that it was insulated well enough to still be fairly warm in the morning.
One issue with our's was that they gray water tank was too small. I forget what the brochure said its capacity was, but in practice our's was way smaller. Maybe it was plugged or blocked, but my father has tried multiple times to trouble shoot it and found nothing wrong. So basically if you used the drains a lot then the gray water tank would fill up quickly and then begin to back up out of the bathroom/shower drain. So we had to always be very concious of how much liquid we sent down the drain. I would always keep a dish tub in the sink and try to dump as much of our waste water outside as we could.
We also hated the inconvenience of breaking down the dining table into a bed and vice versa. We ultimately left it a bed full time and used a small folding table for eating on. One person sat on the bed, the other on a folding chair on the opposite side of the table. As you know, there isn't much room in there for moving around! So it was a very small table. If this Funfinder is the same size/floorplan as your old TT, then you're used to all of this already.
Ours had an outdoor BBQ grill that hung off the side of the TT and tied right into the TT propane. It was very cool and we cooked on that thing all the time.
I also used the outdoor shower all the time. It also helped with the not filling the gray water tank.
Have fun!

Aspen Trail 2710BH | 280 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W & 300W PSW inverters

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 08:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the gray water tank is much bigger than our old one -- it is 25 or 30 gallons, I think. And yes, it is kind of a pain to convert the dinette into a queen bed and back again, especially if I want to take a nap in the afternoon before dinner. But the tiny size is a huge asset in rough country, so we put up with the bed situation.

retiredtraveler

Woodstock Il --- GO HIKING!!!!

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting. Funfinder 189-fbs is on my short list of new campers.

Pup: 2007 Jayco 1206 w/slide-out + shower
surge brakes, 54w solar panel
TV: 2005 Nissan Xterra 4X4, manual trans
25 years tent camping, 4000+ miles of hiking, lots of biking

Road Phantom

pa

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 11:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently down sized from a 37 ft Holiday with 4 slides to a 21 ft Fun finder with a small couch slide. Since I don't full time in the winter any longer I wanted something shorter for weekends and long road trips. The added benefit is a 1/2 ton truck that is far more comfortable than the heavy duty trucks needed to pull the large 5th wheel. Also, in the future I can switch to an suv.
I pull mine with a hemi and enjoy the ease of a much shorter rig. I like what you did with the rear storage and agree with the redesign. As for my 21 ft'er, it comes with a cavernous crawl through storage accessed from both sides of the trailer. I find that the large cabinet in the bath is more than adequate for towels and blankets.
With the shorter trailer you have, any increase in storage is welcomed I'm sure.
I'm not sure about this, but isn't cruiser rv an Australian
company? If so, that would explain the high quality of the unit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIvTq3YISZQ

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think Cruiser is in Indiana -- the Australians are importing Cruiser, which is a switch (since so many amazing expedition trailers are made Down Under).

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Report on my new Fun Finder X-139
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS