|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Provincial Parks sucked me in again

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And to compare here, one of the state parks that I dearly love to go to is now 30 dollars a day. For that you do now get 50 amp service. When we first started going there is was close to closing, we could go even on holiday weekends and get a great site. Cost? 10 dollars a night as I remember. Compared to private parks at close to 50 dollars a night for a parking slab is tough to swallow. The only redeeming grace today is National forest campgrounds. With my Old geezers pass I can still go there for 6-8 dollars a night

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

sunkatcher

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 01:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel your pain BUT in 2010 I worked for a private campground owners association and I did get a real eye opener. I have always wondered what the federal and provincial governments think they are doing by COMPETING with private enterprise. They use our taxation dollars to set-up a business in direct competition with a tax payer. JUST WRONG!!!!! Of the private owners that I worked with many of them had parks close to a Provincial park and two in particular come to mind. The one had a terrible spring storm and it washed out the road into their park. It cost them and additional $ 25,000.00 to open that season to fix the road. Directly beside their road was a road (lane) leading in the provincial park. The same contractor did both jobs but the provincial park did $ 55,000.00 of improvement to their road. Of course unlike the private owner, that was all taxpayers’ money that did not have to be financed or paid back. The second enlightenment I got was during a conversation with a campground owner that had severe disabilities and the conversation came around to the topic of “firewood” She had firewood available since her brother worked for the Provincial Park directly in her backyard and part of his job was to cutout the deadwoods from the forest. The Provincial park paid to have this wood removed and would not use any of it. All of the Provincial firewood was delivered to them cut, split and bagged.
Since having this awakening I will NEVER support our government’s involvement in competition with a family business by staying in any of their Provincial parks. For those of you that will say they provide an opportunity for folks to camp and stay with nature for a few days will have to ask the question why and how can they justify SEASONAL camping in a Provincial Park.
Ron

masa4u.com

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 02:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe B. said, "Just hope both of our governments don't decide to lease out our highway systems and allow some companies to charge us to drive on them."

That's funny! Indiana did exactly that very thing a few years ago. I-80 (toll road) that runs East-West in Northern Indiana. Indiana sold it to "them" for millions and millions of dollars and that money was to go back to the state and be used for the next 100 years or so .... Well ... less than 4 years later, that money is gone! (or almost gone)! I avoid I-80 ...

DutchmenSport

2014 Chevy Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 6.6 HD diesel
2013 Keystone Outback 298RE Travel Trailer
Equal-i-zer WD hitch system

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boy are you making me feel better, I thought the California state parks had gotten expensive. The average site without water or electricity runs about $25 a night, with beach side sites with water and electric going for $70!

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel your pain OP. We love going to Sandbanks but I hate their 5 month reservation window and I hate their too popular sites that are booked the second they become available 5 months out and get booked for 23 nights.

We've got 2 trips booked now including managing to get a beach front site so I'm happy about it but if I had my say it would be booking window max 2-3 months before trip date and 7 night max on popular sites. Also no 'name change' on sites - if you book it and can't make it, you have to cancel, not trade it with friends.

Kidoo

Chicoutimi, Québec, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 02:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same in Quebec, price are realy high for PP. They charge a price for the night, then charge every person, every day, to use the park, plus tax. You mainly go around 40 to 50 a night for two persons. Many times there is only 30 amp electric, no water hook up, no sewer hook up, not near a lake, not near the ocean, just a park in the woods.
They are nice place, but they already chunk my paycheck big time to set up the camp, and use part of my money to pay the attendant.

I was told the big difference with State Park in USA is that they have volontary people, park attendant, that help freely to reduce the price. May be they get a free spot for their work, must be something like that. But the State parks are real nice places with reasonable price. So, now I go to the USA and enjoy no getting rip off by my own governement.

Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

michelb

Ottawa, ON, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 02:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Clarryhill wrote:

Close to $50 a night, far cheaper than a private park??? I think you folks stay in far different parks than I do. Just sayin...

In case it wasn't clear from the responses. It's close to $50/night with 0 services at the site, 2 dump stations and 2 threaded fresh water spigots (serving approx 750 sites) (there are other fresh water spigots but they are 'taps' like a sink and you can't hook a hose to them to fill your tank). And this is to camp as public parks that we pay taxes for!

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It has been a situation that many states in the US are also dealing with. There is a big movement (and probably a justified one) that USERS should pay the entire cost of these campgrounds instead of getting a boost from general fund money. Everyone wants lower taxes and this is ONE way to help achieve that goal but when not providing financial assistance to the campgrounds, the camper pays more. Much better than closing the parks as California did in the last year or two (in my opinion any way).
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

paulj

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 03:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On the question of state or provincial campgrounds competing with private ones, most, if not all government run campgrounds were created before the private ones. It's not hard to find parks and campgrounds with structures and roads built by the CCC, the 1930s depression era government employment project. Many private campgrounds depend on tourists who are visiting nearby government owned parks, providing amenities (e.g full hookups) that the government campgrounds don't.

Private enterprise has also been involved in creating and promoting public parks. Perhaps the best examples are the Canadian Rockies parks and their luxurious hotels, with close connections with the railroads.

mayo30

Up here in the cold,cold north.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 03:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We pay $18.75 a day for a full service lot based on a 120 day season.we also leave our unit there,no storeage, no visiter fees,boat on my lot,my sat.Tv.,wifi,1/2 mile to golf course and marina.Provincial park down the road charges $26.00 per day with only 30 amp. power,no water,no sewer.,no storeage etc.,you get the picture.That is why I support a private Park.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Provincial Parks sucked me in again
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS