|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Thinking About Calling It Quits

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lug_Nut

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think you are alone with these thoughts. However, I would not make any flash decissions. Quite often time changes thought and may bring different ideas that make things brighter.

'07 Newmar Essex 45' ISM 500 4 slides

okgc

Southern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Spending money on fuel is part of this life style. Some say we are throwing our money away filling up our MH tanks. I say when we travel in our motor home we are the happiest. So many places to see and so many things to do.

Many people do not even leave the town they are born in. I will not be like them.

X2

2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with Chevy HHR

jsimons3

tampa fl

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To each his own...some do things, others don't.

jsmns8

crickeydog

Marietta, Ga.

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nascarcruzin wrote:

Is anyone else having reservations about future RV travel?

Nope... No way... Nada... Zero... Zilch... Not even a mear fleeting thought...

Happy camping!!! See y'all down the road!!!

USAF RETIRED 1992 "EITHER LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET OUTTA THE WAY":
DEPT OF DEFENSE RETIRED 2014
D/W DEPT OF JUSTICE RETIRED 2010

PULL DOG:
2006 GMC 3500 CC DRW D/A LBZ 4X4 SLT, AKA:"THE SILVER FOX" or "THE ROAD LOCOMOTIVE"

2004 HOLIDAY RAMBLER PRES, 30 SCD 5'ER

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 02:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I imagine that Noah threatened to only take half the animals on the ark due to the high cost of food and fuel. I know I promised to quit driving if gas ever got to fifty cents. Planned on parking it when gas hit $1.00. Was going to take the bus at $2.00. Would rather walk than pay $3.00 a gallon. The beat goes on and on. Drive 10,000 miles a year, get 10 miles per gallon, an extra dollar a gallon will cost you $20.00 a week. Significant, but not really life changing to most of us.

Maddawgs

central MA

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

I definitely have reservations about the future of RV travel. I feel that it will soon be regulated out of existence and that we may be part of a dying industry. We don't have any money issues but like everyone else, our health is the only thing that could limit our travels in the future. Until then, we will continue to travel when and where we want to.

I'm curious what do you mean by "regulated out of existance"?
Todd

Todd, Shirley, and the "Maddawgs" min-pins Precious and Buster Brown
2011 Itasca Cambria 30C
2011 Demco KarKaddy 460SS
TST 507 RV TPMS
"if there is anything left when we are gone, then we miscalculated"

John S.

Valley of Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting, post. I have had 4 Foretravel friends just hang up their keys. They miss it but they have new life per suits to keep them busy. One was for health reasons but the others just decided that the housing market was low and they could buy in and they had spent time on the road as full timers and they wanted to see grandkids or they wanted to stop or where worried about illness. I know that the another FT friend was just told he needs a bypass and heart valve. He was happy he had travelled in case he can not in the future. Each person comes to their own decision. I will stick with it for a while longer. I have put on over 300,000 miles on my Foretravels and am glad I did it while fuel was cheaper but I would do it again today but it might take me a few more years now.

John
2001 42' Foretravel U320
2007 Bornfree 24 Painted
2001 Jeep Wrangler for 300k miles
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Susie and Dolly (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) now in our hearts and thoughts
Doodle a Black and Tan Cavalier
Lolly a Ruby Cavalier

Eastwacamper

Greenacres, WA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gas is a dollar a gallon lower this year than last. We are heading to Costco to fill up the Class C and head south for a few weeks. We unhooked all our power items in the house except frig and the like last time. Turned off the water. Since we weren't home we couldn't drive our cars so we saved gas there. We ate for the same cost, paid for laundry on the road. Hmmm. A good trade-off. I'm not paradoid, no one coming to get me. My friends south now are having a great time, especially with less crowd in Quartzsite. We pinch pennies at home so we can get out on occasion. I wish you sunny days and happy trails.

mpfireman

Cook County Il

View Profile

Posted: 02/01/12 03:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gas $3.69 Reg, Diesel $4.11 in some places, Got our TAX BILL today, First installment, over $ 4,800 dollars. I would love to just travel, homes today are nothing but a money pit.

1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 03:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gang,
Ever see the TV show "American Pickers"? Well, I want to go on the same roads they do. I want to see the same things they see. I want to experience different parts of this country. I'm a born and raised So Cal person with some time spent in the service in TX, WA and IL. But, in my career, I saw it all, the hardest stuff one could imagine, and I did it for over 35 years.

Well, gas and diesel is going to cost whatever it's going to cost. I'm not fond of putting oil execs great grand kids through college so they can become lawyers and then go to work for their dads oil company and defend high oil prices. So, I skimp here and there, make do with this and that, have done my own work, construction, maintenance, fabrication, alterations for my whole life so, I've saved money for things I have no control over, GAS AND DIESEL PRICES!!!

So, in our quest to go on American Pickers roads, I'll pay what it takes to get there, see those places and feel those experiences. When I can no longer afford to do that, then, and only then I'll hang up the keys. I get upset at paying such high diesel prices when each and everyone of us know that it's way cheaper to produce diesel than it is to produce gasoline but, again, NO CONTROL.

Got to go out and get the M/H ready for a trip. Happy trails folks.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Thinking About Calling It Quits