|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Steering Wheel Table

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Scrapz

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 02:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a small round tabletop I want to use over our steering wheel as a table. The wheel can be adjusted to a level position. Does anyone know how much weight the steering column/wheel can hold? I was planning to put the portable ice maker on the table. I think the ice maker weighs about 50 lbs.

Kathy

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 02:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kathy, you shouldn't have any problems. We have a lamp, a plant and several pictures on ours. They're pretty solid....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
Chevy HHR W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/12 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume this is for stationary use....not driving??

Kidding aside, I've been thinking about using the steering wheel for a computeer table, just haven't found one I can easily adapt.

Dick

2000 40" DP Beaver Patriot Thunder Cat C-12 425 HP, 1550 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

Scrapz

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Dennis! DH would shoot me if one of my projects screwed up the steering.

The tabletop I want to use is from one of those particle board side tables with screw on legs. The flimsy legs disappeared a long time ago. I'm confident dh and I can find a good way to stabilize the top to hold the ice maker. This will be great for getting the ice maker out of the way. Now if I can just get DH to put an elec outlet in that area. ;-)

Dick, when I put ours into the table position it is pretty high. You might need a tall stool to reach your computer comfortably.

lanerd

Ridgecrest, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think it would be a problem either. Of course lifting the 50 lb ice maker up that high could be a little difficult. Hope hubby is a big guy.

We purchased a 1/4 inch by 18 inch round acrylic (clear plastic) from JoAnn's (hobby store) and set it up there with a small table cloth covering it and all of the steering column. Then we set on top of that a really nice little table lamp, a small plant and a little basket for keys and such. Our coach has a 110v outlet just on the right side of the console and we plug the lamp into that. I've been thinking of putting another outlet on the left side of the console so that the lamp's cord is laying out in the open. Another project....another day.

Go for it, I say.

Ron

Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ILS 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scrapz...Your coach wheel should support what you want to do without an issue. Just one caution. Make sure you're not depressing the air horn bar when you put weight on the wheel. When you're aired down, your airhorn won't make any noise, but it will operate the horn and blow the fuse if the pressure is constant.

I had placed an object on the steering wheel one weekend and didn't realize it was depressing the horn bar. When I drove home, I realized the horn didn't work......I had blown the fuse.

Don & Mary
2014 Newmar Dutch Star 4018
450 Cummins
2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ CrewCab 4WD
2013 Polaris RZR 800 LE

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh! Yeah! Forgot about the warning about the air horn....DW has done that twice when setting up the inside. Not funny when you're on a ladder cleaning the bugs off the windshield........we just wave to the neighbors like we meant to do it......@Kathy, those tables are great but make sure the metal leg assemblies don't press on the horn button. I left them on in order to keep the table from sliding off the steering wheel, but you have to watch their placement.....Dennis

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 10:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know how much a steering wheel can hold but I know I put way more than 50 pounds of load on it when I get out of the driver's seat Way more.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Boonedocks

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For anyone wanting to make a steering wheel table, I once was directed to a link for a DIY version. I have yet to make mine, but intend to follow these instructions.

DIY Steering Wheel Table

2003 Country Coach Intrigue towing 2006 Ford Focus. Follow our full timing adventures at The BooneDocks

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Steering Wheel Table
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS