|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Taking a Shotgun through Canada

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/12 11:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sunkatcher wrote:

Personally I would explain that I am going into a “KNOWN” bear territory in “ALASKA”. Make no inference about shooting a Canadian bear as they think more of their bear than they do of their beaver.

Not really so, shooting a beaver would be like shooting a bald eagle.

It's important to note however that if you actually need to shoot a Canadian bear, you must first verify it's passport or birth certificate! . .

Eric
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Equal-i-zer 12K, Honda 2000 Genny
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Short Bed, 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed auto, 4x4, Line-X
FQCC/Camping Quebec, KOA, Good Sam

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

halibutman214 wrote:

Okay..... so what your telling me is the government website is wrong, I'm misreading it or.....?
So I tell them I'm passing through BC on my way to Alaska and the gun is for hunting. Hmmm, so am I hunting in Canada or Alaska. Where am I hunting. What am I hunting for. The good thing about telling them the truth is I don't have to remember what I said or think about answers to questions they may or may not ask. I appreciate all responses (well all but the leave your gun at home people) but was hoping for something more concrete as far as the regulation I quoted or perhaps am misinterpreting.

In Canada you are not allowed to have guns or pepper spray (or ANYTHING ELSE) for personal protection FROM PEOPLE, animals is fine, people is right out.

There is special language that also allows certain guns (ie black powder, match, etc) for shooting in competitions.

PS That "ANYTHING ELSE" includes... Nunchucks, three-section staffs, knives, swords, etc. Some of these (hinged weapons) are just plan banned, period.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

alageezer

seale, al

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/02/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have read and understand the government regulations, I would go with them and forget any and all things read in any post like this.

2011 Bounder Classic

stubblejumper

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird seasons not open in July.
Big game seasons not open in July.
Hard to use hunting as an excuse.

1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alageezer wrote:

If you have read and understand the government regulations, I would go with them and forget any and all things read in any post like this.

X2.

When we went in 2000 I called the Embassy here in Los Angeles and ask for claification and a copy of the application to carry my shotgun. I did have the shotgun in its case with a padlock and stored in the rear basement compartment. The shells were in the factory box in the closet back in the bedroom.

No problem entering above Glacier, just showed officer the permit, entering from Haines the officer commented that the gun wouldn't be much help stored that way, and a nice lady officer when we entered from Hyder gave me the third degree and said she didn't know how I had gotten into Canada in the first place and wanted to confiscate the shotgun and ammo.

Seems that each officer has their own idea of what should be allowed. It's like the regulations for bringing your pet thru Canada, ask ten people get ten answers.

We have entered BC several times at the I5 crossing both in the DWs Explorer and the MoHo and been asked each time about guns, I always answer the same way, "No guns, I don't wish to find out how nice your jails are and I don't want to lose my guns." Never a problem.

As far as what to do in AK, "just smile and wave boys, smile and wave", if you get stopped by the AK LEOs forewarn them you have a weapon and where it is. I never got to go to the back country places in AK that I wanted to see so I never unlocked it but on the Seward Hwy there is a birding area, a marsh I believe, a local shot a bear in the campground there because he felt it was a danger to his kids. Nosey people wanted him jailed, turned out he had a hunting permit for bear and it was bear season. He didn't want to use his tag so he didn't tell the LEOs at first but when the heat got too much he did and the LEOs closed the case and didn't bother to tell the news media for several days while the nosey folks made jerks out of themselves.

* This post was edited 02/02/12 09:20pm by an administrator/moderator *

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000

LGarrison

Sandpoint

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leave your gun at home. Buy a used one in Alaska sell it when you leave. There are many at the pawn shops. I live in bear country, PM me on how to load a shotgun to protect from bear.

2012 DODGE RAM 3500 4X4 LB, 6.7 CUMMINS, G56 6 SPEED TRANSMISSION, 373 DIFF GEARS, B&W Companion 5TH WHEEL, Firestone Airbags, 115 GAL EXTERNAL FUEL TANK, EVERTHING ELSE IS STOCK 40,000 miles to date.
A legal/quality carrier does matter.

RedRam

Moved from the smallest county in Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took a shotgun in 2010 and when asked why I was taking it I told him it was protection from bears.When I had finished he asked is that the only reason and I said yes.He told me if I had said protection from people I couldn't take it.I kept mine in the clothes closet with a trigger lock in place and the shells in my sock drawer.

04 Dodge CTD
08 Bighorn 3370

JackD

Montreal, Qc,Canada (when not on the road)

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 09:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Leave your gun at home. Buy a used one in Alaska sell it when you leave.

The best recommendation so far..

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 04:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are right - some people here give out a lot of WRONG, possibly deliberately BAD non-information.
You got the correct information from the correct sources.

Cal

ausie607

white lake

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 01:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Declare your shotgun, fill out the form pay $25 for (60 days) and state the use for the shotgun is 'skeetshoot' in AL. Make sure to have trigger lock on the shotgun.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Taking a Shotgun through Canada
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS