RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Which Georgia State Park is best for us?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Which Georgia State Park is best for us?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Kentucky_Joe

Fort Thomas, KY USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John, thanks for your information. We are open to any area. We love coastal, mountain, anywhere there is alot to do or see. We love to do any kind of tours, plantations would be great, small hikes,scenery, battlefields we have seen, unless someone takes you and explains what you are looking at. Don't have any children with us so not worrying about entertaining small children. We just are looking for advice to narrow down our trip to a few state parks. After looking at the website, there seems to be so many good choices, we were hoping with telling what we like to do, others could help us pick which would be best for us. We have gotten so much good advice on this forum, I figure those who have visited know more than us. Thanks.

MegaJohn

NW Geogia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 02:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Savannah & Augusta have lots of older, pre civil war homes. Savannah is probably better... and I think they offer guided tours and River Street is a must visit. You'll see a lot of old buildings and homes... as well as Spanish moss hanging from the trees. Maybe someone else who has visited lately can comment. My wife used to have family there... so we were usually meeting with family when we visited. Others mention Skidaway Island, I'm sure it's a great place.

If you're into golf... Augusta (Mistletoe SP) has the Masters the first week of April. But if you're not REALLY INTO GOLF... I'd stay clear. The city is REALLY crowded that week. Also, make your reservations ASAP... everything will be booked solid for a 75 mile radius.

Cloudland Canyon is near the Chickamauga Battle Field... if that's your thing. It's a pretty impressive battle field and they usually have something going on most weekends. A little further down the road in Resaca, GA (right in my back yard) they have a battle re-enactment each year... thought I don't remember the dates this year. It's probably on line somewhere.

If you want to get down into Atlanta, check out Red Top Mountain. It's about 30 minutes north of downtown Atlanta, just off I75. It's easy to reach without being too close to the big town.

Stone Mountain also has a campground(link)... though I don't think it's actually a SP. I've never been, but they seem to have a lot to do... and it's close to Atlanta.

I'm sure others can give you some options from around our state!

Happy Camping!
John.

Stock 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 MegaCab, 5.9L Cummins, Automatic, 2WD, Dually
- 30' 2006 Pilgrim Interntional travel trailer, dry weight ~7k pounds, GVWR ~9k pounds
- Husky weight distributing hitch, friction anti-sway control, electronic brake controller

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 05:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Georgia Veterans SP. When we were there,we visited the infantry museum at Ft Benning,The Confederate Naval Museum in Columbus and Andersville. The first 2 were very impresessive,but Andersonville was a disapointment. But maybe they have done more since our visit which was almost 20 years ago.

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mistletoe SP and Red Top Mountain both are on CoE lakes, that have many CoE campgronds. When visting Lakes Strom Thurmand & Allatoona we prefer the CoE parks

AH Stephens has a fair campground, mostly pull thru sites that are fairly level. But be aware that there is a low bridge right in Crawfordville. From the GA State Parks web site
"If RV is taller than 12' 10", exit at #148. Go 2 miles and cross the junction of Hwy. 22 and Hwy. 278. Turn right onto MLK Jr. Dr. Go 1 mile, then turn left onto Alexander Street. Follow signs to park office."

2005 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

bodyshop bob

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd agree with FDR State Park. Very nice historical sites. Close to Callaway Gardens. I'll throw in one not mentioned yet...AH Stephens State Park in Crawfordville, GA. The park has the restored antebellum home of the Vice President of the Confederacy, AH Stephens. It also has a very good museum. The downside is that Crawfordville, GA sits exactly in the middle of nowhere.

Bob & Carla
Josh & Emily
mostly Lab mix Eryn
Chase is waiting for us at the Bridge
2007 Chevrolet 2500 D/A
2011 Jayco 308 RES

MegaJohn

NW Geogia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 06:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bodyshop bob wrote:

I'd agree with FDR State Park. Very nice historical sites. Close to Callaway Gardens. I'll throw in one not mentioned yet...AH Stephens State Park in Crawfordville, GA. The park has the restored antebellum home of the Vice President of the Confederacy, AH Stephens. It also has a very good museum. The downside is that Crawfordville, GA sits exactly in the middle of nowhere.

I've wondered about AH Stephens... we've seen the sign from I20 for years. I didn't think they had camping, but noticed it on the internet recently and it looks really nice.

I was last in Crawfordville about 20 years ago to visit a popular Christmas lights display... if it's not "in the middle of nowhere", it's really close.

We'll have to check it out sometime!

Happy Camping!
John.

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you are down toward Cordele, you might as well head southeast and take a look at Stephen Foster SP in the Okeefenokee Swamp. Rent a boat or canoe and check out the swamp. There is a museum on the property, boat rentals, hiking trails and fishing in the boat basin. Watch out for the alligator that likes to sun on the boat ramp into the basin.
Laura Walker SP near Waycross is also a nice and restful SP

saga

A stones throw from the Red river,Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 02:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have mentioned, Skidaway Island

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Which Georgia State Park is best for us?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS