|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Taking day trip to Yosemite 2/4/12 to check out CG's

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Dennispel

Southeast texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 02:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On 2/15 we will be vying for a spot for late June. Our FW is 32ft, so we would love to know of spots that you find that will accomodate a trailer that long! We have never been, and can't wait--crossing our fingers we get to stay inside the park! Sarah & Dennis

2005 Frontier Explorer 32' bunk house
2006 Ford F250 V10 6 speed stick 430 gears 5Star Tune
Me, Wife, 3 kids and a great dane lab mix

Finally Time

Western Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lower Pines Campground has three "double" sites. Each holds two RV's with a minimum of seven people. Lower Pines is the smallest of the campgrounds so if you all could get in there you wouldn't be that far from each other.

'13 Winnebago Vista 27N, '13 Honda CR-V
Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar & Brake System

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could be wrong but I don't think you can get a 35 foot RV in Lower Pines, or no more than a very few sites. Be aware that the length on the site is -not- the permitted trailer length that is different and shorter. Upper Pines has the most long RV sites, we got in there for 5 days in early June. But the two CG are not that far apart.

There is a limit of 7 days on the Valley floor so one person could not make 4 reservations for more than 1 day. And they check ID's when you check in, you better have the ID of the person who made the reservation.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

EPenney

Galt, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timing lights at the end of the driveway are staged, so we're ready to hit the road for Yosemite. Will report back after we arrive home this evening. You all have a great day.

'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not

Ray55

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would set up accounts with recreation.gov ahead of time. You can look at the sites-discription and some pictures. Scout on-line and write down a list of the ones you want. If you cannot get site X you want site y. The sites go so fast 1 to 2 minutes you will only have time to get one site.

For muiltiple sites at this prk for this time of year you will need a computer terminal with high speed connection and an operator with an account for each site.

At a less crowded National Park (Brice) I made one reservation no problem but could not make a reservation for my sister and brother-in-law untill I set up another account. One account in my name one in wifes name. I was over the number of days they would let me stay in that park. This took time to do. It worked at Brice but there is no way at Yosmite you can set up an account during the reservation period and get a site. Way to busy/crowded.

Of course you can just go without reservations if they have first come first served sites. Many parks do and it could work if you are very flexable.

Traveling with my sister and brother-in-law this summer we chose to reserve outside the park so we know we had a place.

US Army Retired X 2 (Both wife and I)
2012 North Trail TT 30QOK
2005 Dodge deisel 2500 HD, shortbed, 6 speed manual, Equalizer Hitch, Warn Winch, highlift jack, Honda Gen Set, Winona Canoe

CManley

Elk Grove, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The reservation process sucks. Oh how I wish for the pre-flood years when the number of sites were a little more than double.

Keep in mind that your trailer can hang over the back of the site, when choosing make sure you look for trees and rocks that will impede your plans.

Hopefully you didn't RED Light when you had the timing lights staged. 1st round runner-up is never any good.

2001 25dbs Tahoe TT, 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Duramax

Pictures

EPenney

Galt, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a great time on our day trip to Yosemite yesterday. Driving time from home to the Big Oak Flat entrance on 120 was 2 hrs 21 minutes, not exceeding the speed limits. We spent 5 hours inside the park checking out Hodgdon & Upper Pines CG's, and enjoying the beautiful views from the valley floor. There were very few visitors there, so no crowds and very little traffic.

Hodgdon Meadow CG was open, and while a little more rustic than the "Pines" CG's, is nice and has some sites that will fit 30-35' 5ers with no problems. There was no one camping there.

Upper Pines CG in the valley was the only valley CG open, with 3-loops open. It was about 25% occupied, with a mix of RVs and tents. There was some snow, about 3-4 inches in the shaded sites. There are a number of sites we saw that will fit 30-35' 5ers, some by overhanging past the end of the paved parking pad.

Crane Flat CG was not open, but is located in a favorable location for us for access to the valley and high country.

We did not check out the RV Parks on 120 because they are at too low of an elevation and can be hot during the summer months. Plus driving to & from the park daily would eat up a lot of time & fuel.

We are registered on Recreation.gov, and we are well versed in using it for camping reservations at Federal CGs. We'll try to get reservations on the 15th of this month for July at one of the above 3 CGs, but if we are not successful, it won't be the end of the world for our summer camping plans.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Taking day trip to Yosemite 2/4/12 to check out CG's
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS