RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Diabetes...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Diabetes...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 06:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not know.. I think Banting and Best published just about 80 years ago (Would have been close)

Today however we not only have insulin but for type II's like me many other tools as well. We have simple easy to use home glucose monitors, and all sorts of improvements,

In every area save one.. Today's insulin...... For many is not as good as what Banting and Best produced.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 10:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Type two for some time, on Lantus and Novolog.
I'm searching for an outside Endcorinologist now. Should have long ago.
There are many new things showing up these days, in the media. Perhaps they will find a cure before long.
Byetta is working for a lot of Diabetics. A friend, who is an ENT, came off Insulin after being on it for several years with Byetta.
It won't work for all of us though.
Just keep up with testing and resist the temptation of sweets etc.
Probably see you at a FMCA event of campground.
You'll do fine

Dog Trainer

Richmond Mi.

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 06:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We found my Diabetes 23 years ago. I have been battleing it ever since. I get my major meds and some health care from the VA. I would like to be on the pump but VA does not cover it. For the past couple of years I have been on Lantus 1 time a day and then a sliding scale of Novolog based on carbohydrates. The funny thing about diabetes is that it affects us so differently. I don't mind taking the shots I do hate the finger pricks and having to always remember to have insulin with me.

93 Airstream 35' Dp
5.9 230 uprated to 300 HP
Allison MD 3060
Shadow 12 yr old Golden Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles (fur Bearing Children) Duchess my Golden daddys little girl at the Rainbow bridge since 4/12

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/18/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope you do well with the new regimen. Don't mean to sound prying but I am curious about your diet. You said you lost a lot of weight and excercise. Do you still consume any sugar or alcohol?

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is impossible NOT to consume sugar, Alcohol, however is a choice. (Nearly all foods contain sugar of one form or another, naturally of course, and if you buy processed foods they add sugar, and fat, to make them taste better.. Fat by the way is the greater culprit, even for diabetics.

Many diabetics loose weight just prior to diagnosis.. In fact. it's a symptom.

The reason for this is simple. contrary to the popular belief Diabetes is not a SUGAR problem. it is an insulin problem.. I have wrote a short thesis on how insulin works but the thumbnail version is kind of like this.

Think of a power plant, Coal is trucked in to the plant by Semi. Well coal, (Like sugar) is a carbohydrate, they are first cousins. and INSULIN, is,,,, the truck. (That was simple wasn't it)

Well, the body does have a choice. instead of burning glucose it can burn fat, The burning of fat is NOT dependent on insulin. (A power plant may be fueled with piped in oil or natural gas, No semi needed) So when the cells are starving for fuel. And the Insulin delivery service is not delivering the good stuff.. They switch to the back up.. FAT. and thus you loose weight.

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too go to the VA. I haven't seen an Endocrinologist. My Diabetes is considered brittle and difficult to control. The pump or Byetta or anything might help a lot. Fearful that it has led to congestive heart failure. Most frightening but heart is doing great now as is blood pressure under meds.
Surely there is some way to get VA to look at these things.

emzee

california

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 01:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My dh has type 11 also and may have to go on insulin. He has been reading a lot about the pen, seems very convenient to use. Another place to go in here is the RVing with disabilities forum, might get some good feedback there too. Best of luck to you.

RVJimofOregon

Central Oregon Coast

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This grass roots program has had great results in our area. Ir might be worth while to look into it. On of my friends got off insulin after 15 years. It is a great program for life changing results. Just might be the best 30 days of your life. No I am not selling anything just passing on what I think is a good thing.
If you want more info give me a PM

http://www.chiphealth.com/

RV Jim

Jim & Joyce
Central Oregon Coast

26 foot 2004 Komfort travel trailer
2014 Platinum Tundra pickup

Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents,“It was loaned to you by your children”
Indian proverb

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I too have to very closely watch my sugar intake...

When I eat even a small amount of sugar, my pancreas kicks in and delivers so much insulin my blood sugar drops to ~50 and I can't stay awake.

I very carefully read lists of ingrediends in everything I eat.

Remember: if the word ends in "ose" it is a sugar and all sugars are treated the same way - converted (in the gut) into glucose before it is absorbed into the blood stream.

e.g.
Sucrose
Glucose
Dextrose
Maltose
Fructose
etc.
are all sugars.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
1982 6.2L Diesel Suburban 1500

mking

Indianland,South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 02:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My D/W has type 2 diabetes.She takes insulin shots twice a day.She found out about it appox 1.5yrs ago.She had to give up her CDL lisc. and her job of 20yrs, which hit us pretty hard with the loss of income.But its just something we adjusted too.Diet and exerise helps but it isn't enough.We still can camp,our health is alot better than alot of folks,and were truely blessed to be where we are in life.You don't have to be overweight to have diabetes,and its nothing to be ashamed of.Good Luck and don't let it slow you down!

2006 Dodge Quad-Cab 2500 CTD,4;10 gears,pulling a Forestriver Flaggstaff 831qbss

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Diabetes...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS