|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> carseat question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
petperson

south jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 04:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been doing some searching about this, and haven't come up any ideas.

Ok we have 32' Class C, it has a couch with seat belts, along the driver side wall,
It does not have a dinette table, or chairs with belts. And it has the driver seat, and passenger seat.

So where would you place the car seat, i read somewhere that in this case the passenger seat is the safest place, but you have to turn off the airbag, which is not possible with this motor home.

So any ideas? Its for my nephew who is 2 about 20-30lbs, and tall for his age. The motor home was bought before the baby so that wasn't really thought about, and getting another one is not really an option, we want to do a few small trips with him only a day or two away, and if its close we can take him in the car, but for places a little farther away has us wondering?

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it were me it would be the passenger seat facing to the rear.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

petperson

south jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

Do you mean put in a front facing car seat but turn the whole seat around? Because I don't think he fits in a rear facing seat. Or do they have seats for bigger kids that face backward. Sorry I'm trying not to confuse you but I'm trying to figure something out.

I called my sister he's 28lbs, but she's uncertain about his height, he wears 24mths pants that are a few inches too short...if that helps.

EightEleven

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 06:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

You can't .. The air bag could easily kill a child, especially facing backwards..

IMO a second "safer" vehicle would be my only choice.. I have a 2yo boy also! Gas and mileage is cheap, when it comes to a child's safety!

EightEleven

Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The fact is, you can never prepare enough for an accident. I believe the driver and passenger seat are the safest in the entire vehicle of a Class C.
With the speeds people drive these days a " safer" vehicle isn't the golden ticket, but a better option.

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check with the carseat manufacturer, also. AFAIK, none of the car seats can be mounted on a "side" position - facing the center of the vehicle. They are not designed to absorb impact properly in that position. If it were me, I would put the seat on either side of the dinette.

Edited: I guess I missed the part where it doesn't have a dinette. In that case, I don't know if there is a safe place for a carseat in the RV. I definitely wouldn't put it on the couch...

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would talk to the police or the safe kids people that do carseat checks. Here is a link to NJ carseat inspections Here is another linkThese people can at least point you in the right direction. They were really good when we lived up there. We used to take our carseat to the safekids inspections and they would not only check it but give us (for free) the things to fix it (ie pool noodle to change angle on car seat, cabinet non-skid liner to keep seat from sliding on leather seat etc). They were very knowledgeable. We went to one over near the cooper river (near Collingswood) and one at the Marlton fire department. You just have to call or look around to find them.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL
Reese Dual Cam

2 nights camped in 2014!
21 nights camped in 2013!
21 nights camped in 2012!
27 nights camped in 2011!

Supreme Oppressor

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 05:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The airbags could be disconnected or you could have a switch installed. I don't know about your area but up here a few years ago they made it "legal" to allow a mechanic to disable passenger airbags in vehicles with no rear seating available. Airbags can also be deadly for children into their teens (depending on height) and short people.

2006 F350 6.0 diesel cc lb srw
2004 Jayco Jayflight 30.5BHS

WWH

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 08:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check with a Child saftey seat Technician. Most police and Fire departments have someone trained to install baby seats or they can direct you to someone that is trained.

I was one for four years and can tell you they will not be able to provide you with good information until they see your setup. They will also show you how to install it properly.

Hope this was helpful.

petperson

south jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 11:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like the little guys gonna be doing some close to home camping until he gets a little bigger, luckily there are a few state places around here.

And thanks guys your time!! We do have car seat people that come around locally a few times a year, have to be on the lookout for them!.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> carseat question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS