|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Is HD TV That Important

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Steeljag

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 07:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HD at the house is the best on our 55" Sony ! Sports / movies / any outdoor channel are perfect ! In the TT we have digital reception picked up by the batwing. When we're camping we really don't watch allot of TV so digital works fine for us.

However, if there is a big game or race........and the neighbor is watching outside on his / her big screen, I want it to be in HD.........so don't be cheap........spend the $$$............so I can wonder over with a few beers and my chair to enjoy it !

2010 Flagstaff 26RLS
2012 Ford F-150 Screw Ecoboost H/D 3.73
2006 Toyota Tundra D/C (sold)
2001 Bantam B-19,(sold)
2003 Harley Road King
The whole family,
Cold ones in the cooler, good times ahead.

rolnhome

Casa Grande, Az

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Steeljag wrote:

HD at the house is the best on our 55" Sony ! Sports / movies / any outdoor channel are perfect ! In the TT we have digital reception picked up by the batwing. When we're camping we really don't watch allot of TV so digital works fine for us.

However, if there is a big game or race........and the neighbor is watching outside on his / her big screen, I want it to be in HD.........so don't be cheap........spend the $$$............so I can wonder over with a few beers and my chair to enjoy it !

Lol. My uncle told me boats are expensive. Don't buy a boat ..... make friends with someone that has a boat.

We're in Arizona

Richert

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 10:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep!! As a retired Broadcast Television engineer it took a lot of money and hard work to convert everything to Hi Def. I love it!!!

Blake
2000 Kountry Star 3565
98 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 11:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

HD is not that important but some of the channels that I get, that are ONLY broadcast in HD with DirecTV, are important to me.

even if its broadcast in HD u can still receive the channel

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 11:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOCj says:
--HD signals are broadcast in 16:9 format compared to the 4:3 format of SD. Therefore, watching SD TV on an HD set will mean seeing lots of black borders.

Not true all u do is ajust the aspect ratio and you can have full screen on most channels.It does depend on how its broadcast.

C Duck

Visalia, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 11:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And soon 1080 will be edged out by 4k - four times the pixels of 1080 or so I've heard.

Chuck

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 12:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boonedocks wrote:

Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:

I no longer have HD eyes so SD is fine.

Actually, I would think that as your eyes weaken, the more valuable HD is with its much higher resolution.

all that means is us old fogies will see a sharper picture fuzzily.
bumpy

Daveinet

il

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of things. First of all, none of these networks are truly broadcasting HD. All of it runs variable compression to something less than HD. The only true HD is off air with an antenna. Even at that, most of the stations are renting so many subchannels that they don't really broadcast in true HD either. As far as what the eye can see, one may not see the higher resolution, but typically your eye detects much better contrast and depth of field from viewing in 1080P.
The other thing to consider is how good your tv upconverts, as that will have a significant effect on how good standard definition looks. I've discovered my old Hitachi plasma upconverts extremely well. I often watch stuff on YouTube from the HDMI output on my laptop. I have been amazed at how much better it looks on the TV than on my laptop screen. Things that blur together on the laptop look clear on the TV. I've since bought a second TV and boy is it disappointing compared to the Hitachi.

Dave

The Flying Fortress
FMCA F298817
'83 Revcon Prince 31' FWD
502 w/Howell/GM 16197427 ECM/Edelbrock MPFI,Thorley's & Magnaflows,
4L85E 4 speed, KoniFSD,
6% grade = wanna drag?
MISC photos
Revconeers Forum

Kiwi_too

OutterLimits

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 07:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HD is only as important as your wants. You will get the news and NASCAR without HD. You will get it clearer with HD.

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgatijnet1 wrote:

HD is not that important but some of the channels that I get, that are ONLY broadcast in HD with DirecTV, are important to me.

they can be broadscast in HD and received on your regular receiver but wont be HD is all.its not like you cant view the channel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Is HD TV That Important
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS