|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Michelin XZE vs XRV Tires

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
Commerce

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 05:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Recently I had a blowout of the sidewall in an inner rear dual Michelin XRV size 255/80 R22.5 tire that was properly inflated and of 2010 vintage. Thank GOD nothing went wrong and I was able to travel another 25 miles to a repair facility and put the spare on. The replacement I put on was the same size but it was an XZE and not an XRV, I put the new XZE on the inner dual where the previous tire was and the tread depth looks similar to the year older tire next to it that has about 7k miles on it. My question is , is it bad for me to have an XZE next to an XRV ? Does anyone have experience with the XZE tire ? From looking on the Michelin website it looks like it is a good tire even with better curb scrub protection than the XRV http://www.michelintruck.com/michelintruck/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XRV . although the XRV specs say it has better ozone protection http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/tires-retreads/tireInfo.do?tread=XZE . Also on balancing them I used the beads and hope that will be ok. I will try to find someone when I replace the steer tires that can do a spin balance for those though. I now have 2 spare tires , 1 mounted on a rim and one not on the rim, I just have alot of extra storage under this 40ft phaeton on the drivers side and even though those tires add 100lbs each id rather have them because sometimes you get somewhere and these tires can be hard to come by.

steveownby

Cosby, TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The XRV has a history of sidewall failures. Your best solution is to spring for one more XZE and put it along with the XZE you now have on the steer axle. Then put one of the XRV's in the duel position. That will give you the best tire match on each axle. At a minimum you should move the XZE to the steer and put the XRV in the duel position. It's very important to put closely matched tire as mates in a duel position.

Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 08:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To compare the XRV and XZE go to: http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/toolbox/reference-material.jsp

Click on "RV Tire Guide".

Tread depth on XRV is 16/32". On XZE 20/32"

Just out of curiosity, what are your axle weights? What PSI do you carry?

And if the other rear tire on the side with the tire failure was run for 20 miles, it is considered ruined/severely overloaded and should also be replaced.

On Edit: I should mention that I have over 150,000 miles on that size Michelin XZE with no problems. BUT, coach weight/tire loading is one of the prime reasons for tire failure. So, again, please post your wheel/axle weights and PSI you carry.

* This post was edited 02/04/12 09:54am by wolfe10 *

Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
EX: 1993 Foretravel 36' U-240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

horizon36

Henderson, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 09:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you traveled 25 miles with one inflated and one flat dual you severely overloaded the remaining tire. The chances of it failing are pretty good. I suggest you talk to Michelin or a reputable truck tire shop and see what they have to say. Truck tires are considered flat when their air pressure is down by 20% and in the trucking industry it would be required to be dismounted and inspected for safety.

Live Long and Prosper.

Home is where we park it.
FT since August 2010

'02 Itasca Horizon 36LD
'02 Jeep GC toad

Smitty77

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Concur with the input so far, you could have a safety risk with the remaining dual tire, that carried the load for those miles.

Steve gives an economical solution. Two new XZE's on the drive, and move the old drive to the rear, and say good by to the at risk tire.

Best of luck, glad no one was hurt or anything damaged on this one!
Smitty

J-Rooster

Port Orchard, Wa. / Lake Havasu City, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 12:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

steveownby wrote:

The XRV has a history of sidewall failures. Your best solution is to spring for one more XZE and put it along with the XZE you now have on the steer axle. Then put one of the XRV's in the duel position. That will give you the best tire match on each axle. At a minimum you should move the XZE to the steer and put the XRV in the duel position. It's very important to put closely matched tire as mates in a duel position.
I never new XRV's had a history of sidewall failures? I guess that I'm one of the lucky ones I'm in my 9th year with XRV's! I agree with Steve about switching tires. XZE's are very good tires I ran them on my semi when they first came out until I retired.

J Walker

Oakton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 03:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I switched to XZE tires after I had a sidewall blowout on an XRV. I don't read about blowouts on XRV now and would not hesitate to use them is XZE were not available. Using an XRV and an XZE on the same dual is not a good idea because they have a slightly different diameter. It will cause wear.

Jim Walker
2014 Thor Palazzo 33.2, 6.7 Cummins, 2100 Allison
2009 Malibu

Pirate

Appalachia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have XZE all the way around. Nice tires. Smooth ride. Sure wouldn't want to use them in snow or excessive rain.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Michelin XZE vs XRV Tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS