|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> new to camping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Familyof4inMD

Pasadena, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 07:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, so I am looking around for ideas to stock up the pantry in the camper. So far on my list is soups, tuna, spices, i even bought the hungry jack hashbrowns in the carton, what other things should I be buying? We have small children so I just want to make sure I have what I need each time, that way all I have to do is buy the perishable foods right before we leave. Thank you!!

2006 Ford F350 4-door Diesel
2008 Jayco Fifth Wheel 31.5 BHDS

Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Welcome to the RVing family! What we take camping is not much different than what I use at home. I make out a menu for the trip then stock and buy what I need accordingly. Some people keep the basics and go shopping while there, but shopping isn't my idea of fun so I try to have everything I need for all meals. I have on occasion forgotten something or run out of milk and have to pick up something. Having small children, I'd be sure and have some of their favorite snacks on hand too, just like at home!

One thing that a friend taught me to do is to cook some ground beef/turkey, etc. ahead of time and freeze it. It's great to have on hand for spagetti, tacos, etc. I've also cooked brisket or ham ahead and taken that. We do cook out on the grill some, but not all the time, so I do what I can ahead to make meal time easy as possible.

Have fun and enjoy!

2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Opie431

Bellevue, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 08:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I take biscuit mix.
I use mayonaise or large peanut butter jars to use as cannisters for sugar etc. I have some wonderful square metal cannisters but I can see how much of everything is left in the clear plastic jars. Macaroni, instant pancake mix and anything similar goes into the jars.
I keep dried onions in the TT to use if I run out of real onions.

dupreet

High Point, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 08:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are on the right track. A couple pointers - consciously try not to over-pack. It is easy to pile way too much food in the camper. When we started back camping (first time for my wife), we would easily take 50% more food than we needed. We would end up tossing a lot of perishables. Now we pack lighter and have some extra boxed/canned goods if we have unexpected company, or run low!

My other piece of advice is to be a little wary of leaving anything other than canned goods in the camper. Critters will sniff out things with sugar, dry cheese in a Mac 'n cheese meal, etc. and can invade! We keep a lot of things in the rig when we are camping every 2-3 weeks "in season". If we aren't going out for a while, cans are about the only things that stay.

Lastly, don't be too concerned. We all pack stuff we never eat or use, and forget to bring other things we need...laughing about this, improvising, or driving 15 miles when you can't improvise is all part of the RV experience!!!

Happy Camping

Todd

1993 Ford E-350 pushed by a 1988 Wilderness 24' TT

korbe

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we go campin', we spend most of our time outside and cook outside. Most of our meals are different than at home. Part of our campin' experience.

2004 F250 SD PSD
2004 Crossroads Cruiser CF25RS

AlanMcD

Cincinnati, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 09:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We try not to leave ANY food stuffs in the camper at all so as to not attract mice and other vermin. We pack and unpack all food before and after every outing.

-Alan

lots2seeinmyrv

Cumberland, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AlanMcD wrote:

We try not to leave ANY food stuffs in the camper at all so as to not attract mice and other vermin. We pack and unpack all food before and after every outing.

-Alan

Ditto, we don't leave anything in there between trips for the critters to get.

Don't forget the olive oil, mayo, mustard, ketchup, pickles, salad dressing and stuff like that.

2010 Tundra TRD 4x4 Dbl Cab 5.7L V8 4.30 Max Tow 10,300 Payload 1,640 Class IV Hitch 1,030
Prodigy P2 - Blue Ox Sway Pro 10K/1K lbs
2012 Evergreen Ever-lite 29FK

Familyof4inMD

Pasadena, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 11:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, they are so helpful. I guess I can also use a crock pot in the camper too right??

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Opie431 wrote:

I take biscuit mix.
I use mayonaise or large peanut butter jars to use as cannisters for sugar etc. I have some wonderful square metal cannisters but I can see how much of everything is left in the clear plastic jars. Macaroni, instant pancake mix and anything similar goes into the jars.
I keep dried onions in the TT to use if I run out of real onions.

I do the same thing for food storage in our camper. I keep any clear plastic screw-on lid container that food comes in and re-use it for anything non-perishable. Cereal, rice, instant potatoes, flour, sugar, pasta...

I do stock my camper differently than my pantry at home. I want meals that are easy and quick to prepare, without a lot of different dishes needed in the prep/cooking. I also want things that can be stored without refridgeration.

I also pre-cook meats and casseroles that I can pop in the oven. I also pre-cut veggies like carrots, peppers, onions, etc and freeze them in small baggies to make storage and meal prep easier.

A lot of rules that apply to making a kitchen at home work easier also apply to a camper. You just have to stay within your storage capacities!

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

Ray55

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 11:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would make sure with kids to try every menu at home. If they realy do not like it and will not eat it then do not use it while camping.

When I go canoe camping with my brother he always uses dehydrated backpacking foods. I can eat the stuff but prefer to have quick prep noodles/rice/potato dishes like many people use at home. I would only use these more exspensive but eaiser to prepare foods when camping. At home I use regular rice/ noodles and real potatoes almost never buying anything in a box or in the freezer section. Backpacking type foods are for 4 day or longer backpacking trips or canoe trips over a week long.

For short trips prepping/cooking things ahead of time is a great idea. Good food and more time to enjoy the outdoors. The only thing better than prepping foods is to have someone that just loves to cook and thinks it is a joy to spend all day in the camp cooking for the group. I have been lucky enough to have one camping buddy who enjoyed doing this.

My wife does not cook on trips and since I stopped working she only cooks 2 or 3 times a month at home the same as when we were both on active duty. I could use that camping buddy who like to cook every day.

I would keep a can of stew, microwavable mac and cheese or a favorite can of soup that the kids realy like on board at all times for that we didn't think we would be still out here moment. Something that taste bettter if you heat it but something that could be opened and ate as is.

* This post was edited 02/04/12 11:13am by Ray55 *

US Army Retired X 2 (Both wife and I)
2012 North Trail TT 30QOK
2005 Dodge deisel 2500 HD, shortbed, 6 speed manual, Equalizer Hitch, Warn Winch, highlift jack, Honda Gen Set, Winona Canoe

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> new to camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS