|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> new to camping

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Rolling Condo

South Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you like to cook and bake and plan on using your stove and oven here is a suggestion. The ovens will tend to burn or overly brown things on the bottom. The cure for this is to place a pizza stone or unglazed tile over the burner to act a heat sink. Also air bake pans or cooking sheets will help. Using these tricks I don't have any issues in using my oven.

'90 GMC R2500 7.4L w/ Gear Vendor OD
'90 Avion 34V
Cummins Onan P4300ie
Pro Pride 3P
Prodigy

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 12:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JNSHorne wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, they are so helpful. I guess I can also use a crock pot in the camper too right??

Yes, you can use a crock pot if you are hooked up to electricity, with power to the 110V outlets.

So far as what to take--I make a rough meal plan. Then you know what you need to take.

I like to start out with the fridge full of stuff I've made at home. Part of it is thawed and part of it is frozen. Eat the thawed stuff for a day or so, then the frozen stuff. So that's at least 3 days with very little cooking needed.

I like to make easy skillet dinners or other types of one-pot dishes. We keep all our stuff like sugar, tea, cocoa mix, whatever in sealed containers. Canned goods are fine to leave in the camper. We clean out all the perishables after each trip. We've had no mice problem.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

Mountain Mama

N. TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 01:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JNSHorne wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, they are so helpful. I guess I can also use a crock pot in the camper too right??

Yes!

2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

TXcampingfamily

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 01:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave very little food in the camper when it is in storage. There are a few exceptions, some seasoning and tea bag, etc. When we do leave things, they are stored in an airtight container. Haven't had mice problems and don't want to risk it happening. Now if you are just looking for items to stock for the kids...we cook most of the meals we do at home. However, like others we grill more when camping. I try to keep the meals simple since we have a much smaller prep space in the camper. I like the pancake mix that you add water and shake. The kids love jiffy pop popcorn, the kind you shake and it expands. Any place where you can cut corners and simplify is good. Remember you are on vacation!

Gin & Mike + 2 TD (tax deductions)
2009 Fleetwood Fiesta Bunkhouse
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

rolling_rhoda

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 01:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In addition to the above ideas I would add coffee, instant gravy mix, canned stew, their favorite cereal in a Tupperware container, a few single serving drink mixes like Propel or Crystal Lite, Captain Morgan and Irish whisky

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 08:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We keep a crockpot in the camper and use it nearly every trip. I cook roast & vegetables, beef stew, pinto beans or red beans, and chili in the crock pot. It's nice to come back at the end of the day and find dinner hot & waiting for you.

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

Familyof4inMD

Pasadena, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I am definitely using my crock pot, we are doing our first trip in March and it will still be chilly outside, so its a perfect time for beef stew

2006 Ford F350 4-door Diesel
2008 Jayco Fifth Wheel 31.5 BHDS

resmas

temporarily displaced Alaskan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 08:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Storage is definitely an issue in a camper that can affect what you prepare for meals. Your house does not have wheels, and it generally stays around 72*. Foodstuffs in the camper need to be able to withstand heat and cold, and not get crushed during transit.

I cannot store near the amount of food in my RV fridge/freezer that I can at home, so consequently, the food prep changes. Plus, this question is posed in the "Family" forum, which indicates it will most likely be more than 2 people consuming meals cooked in the camper.

Another HUGE difference is that I don't have a dishwasher in my RV, and my RV sink is much smaller than my sink at home. So my goal is also meals that can be prepared and eaten with a minimum of dishes to be washed.

I think it is very valid question for a new person to ask!

* This post was edited 02/15/12 06:18am by an administrator/moderator *

2012 Dutchmen Voltage Epic 3795
2010 Dodge 3500 DRW MC
2009 GMC 2500 DA CC
2012 Smart-for-two (sometimes hitches a ride in the Voltage!)
2005 Sundowner Sunlite 777

kazmir

Santa Cruz, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My kids grew up camping and liked to have "special" foods for camping. We make pasta with big meat balls, potatoes over the campfire in foil packs. Foil is your best friend camping!

I got a hot iron sandwich maker that you put in in the fire to make toasted cheese sandwiches and camp pies. I use canned pie filling with sandwich bread, you can get the pie iron from Cabellas.
We BBQ most dinners so pack a Weber charcoal grill in the camper.

We do store items in our pantry, pancake mix, coffee, trader joe prepackaged items like soaps and noodles for quick food between meals. I assume you have kids

The most important thing is to have fun!

2005 Minnie 24V
Family of Four with lots of toys!

Familyof4inMD

Pasadena, Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/12 01:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The hot iron sandwich maker sounds great! I am assuming you can get those at a camping supply place?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> new to camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS