RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: Questions about my Advantium micro/oven

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Questions about my Advantium micro/oven

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
TripleE

Traveling the country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 03:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just picked up a new-to-us Class A and it has a GE Advantium oven. I was able to download the users manual from GE but it doesn't answer the biggest question I have. Is there a way to turn the turntable off so I can cook using my 9x13 casserole dish? I have looked at all the buttons and skimmed the manual and can't find anything. Any help is appreciated.

Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

docj

Fulltime--Home is where we park it

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 04:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did have the "big" Advantium in our sticks & bricks and there was no way to turn off the turntable.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 05:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ditto no way to turn off. I bought round and square glass cookware to use instead of the larger 13x9 pans.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

mytime

Winter Snowbird-somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TripleE wrote:

We just picked up a new-to-us Class A and it has a GE Advantium oven. I was able to download the users manual from GE but it doesn't answer the biggest question I have. Is there a way to turn the turntable off so I can cook using my 9x13 casserole dish? I have looked at all the buttons and skimmed the manual and can't find anything. Any help is appreciated.

We had that problem also, what we did was to purchase a wire grate with legs, thats the best way I know to put it, but we found it at a Kitchen store in an Outlet Mall, searched for a while before finding the right size, now we just set that over top of the turn Knob, take out the pan and roller, and it works just fine, you may have to reverse your dish part way through cooking as the burner is towards the back, we have cook quiet a few dishes that way.

2007 Country Coach, Allure 470, 42',ISL Cummins 400, TV- 2011 Chevy Silverado, Blackhawk and Brakemaster.

TripleE

Traveling the country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/04/12 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a pain! I guess GE doesn't think we cook large quantities of food in these things! I can't imagine cooking a casserole for a potluck in two separate pans. Guess I will do the same thing mytime is doing.

I sent an email to GE asking this question and when they respond I will certainly let them know what a dumb thing this was.

Treasa

bamcote

KsMeMoTn

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you take the turntable mechanism out of the microwave? I think that's what I did to use my oblong pans.

DH, DW, Bahbutt the Siamese, Molly the Maine Coon
and Mina the rescue mutt
miss you Crystal and Mocha
2008 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z
2007 Saturn Vue AWD with Ready Brake Brute

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bamcote wrote:

Can you take the turntable mechanism out of the microwave? I think that's what I did to use my oblong pans.

You can take the turntable out, but the rotating mechanism is still there, getting in the way of the oblong pan sitting correctly. Better to put a rack over the turning mechanism.

Otherwise, we're reasonably happy with our Advantium, which was in the house when we bought it.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

DOTL Spec. Alexander the Grrreat--tuxedo cat
Spotacus--Christmas cat

TripleE

Traveling the country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/12 10:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. Looks like I am off to the outlet centers kitchen store to see what I can find. I am going to have to try something out in, like store bought cookie dough, to get a feel for the thing. Treasa

mytime

Winter Snowbird-somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 01:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I said in my other Post, I think you will be happy with the wire Grate, I found on that has the legs about 3/4" to 1" tall, the sides of the wire was bent to form the Legs, I did purchase two before I found the One that I really like, You will be better off with this type of arrangement because it keeps your dish high enough from the burner element that it cooks better, Just reverse the dish at about 1/2 time so that it cooks both sides and does not burn as the element is towards the back, you can see the burner when the dish is out.
We all got tired of removing the glass dish and putting the metal pan back and forth, we have what they call a Pizza Pan, same size as the Glass and it has small holes in the pan to cook items better, of course you can not cook something that drips unless you put it in a container, but we leave the pizza pan in the Oven all the time Now even when using the Microwave and have not had a problem in over 2yrs., just make sure that the metal pan does not touch the side of the oven when using the Microwave, it will cause sparks., not good.

TripleE

Traveling the country

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/12 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does your shelf have little rubber feet on it or is the entire side of the shelf bent down to form the "legs"? I have some kitchen cabinet shelfs that are taller than 1" that might work until I find something better.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Questions about my Advantium micro/oven
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS