RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Would you Wax your RV?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Would you Wax your RV?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
Sponsored By:
checkmate

Jacksonville, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 34' DP and am considering doing a wax/polish job myself. Any problems to be alerted about? How much wax/polish should I buy?

I'm thinking this will be a task to do in stages!

Thanks,
Jerry

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only wax the front end. Easy to keep bugs off.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

jetboat

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personaly,i do my oun waxing.I use "NEW FINISH" in the orange bottle,and is easy to apply,and remove.It will take a couple days or so to do the total rig.Also apply some "303" to all the rubber/plastic stuff.

Mr.Mark

California/Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just waxed our motorhome last weekend. I had it washed a few days before that and tackled the wax job myself. Our paint job is in excellent shape so I used Meguiar's Ultimate Quik wax that several people on RV.net recommended.

It was easy to use, wax on, wipe off and it gave a nice shine. I also noticed the bugs came off a lot easier too on the front.

I considered the job a good upper body work out! Good luck!

PS. I used one full 15.2 oz bottle and part of another (maybe 2 more oz's) and I spent two days doing the job. I waxed the front, driver's side and the rear one day and finished up the passenger side the next and put a second coat on the front.

MM.

Mr.Mark
2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42.2 ft., 4 slides, 425 hp clean-air Cummins diesel (on consignment @ MotorHomes of Texas)
2013 Honda CR-V EXL, AWD, w/Nav, SMI Air Force One vacuum-assisted braking
2015 Liberty Coach (arriving soon)

Trap

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't say about doing a coach but our 37' 5'er I usually do over a few days. Just to hard on my aging body to try and do it all in one day.

That said I prefer to use NuFinish or Turtle Wax Liguid Ice, the nice thing about the liguid ice is is does not leave the wite paste look if you get it on your rubber moldings, dries clear and buffs and wipes out easily

Trap

* This post was edited 02/05/12 08:41am by Trap *

doc brown

Redondo Beach, CA,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/12 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been waxing/polishing my 40' DP 5 times a year for the last 8 years. I dust it off, wipe it down with a wet cloth then bring out the orbital to wax/polish. The entire job takes 4 hrs and I usually do it in one session. I use a wax/polisher called Mark V I purchase from a detailer supply house locally. It does not leave swirl marks - great for dark colors. My MH is burgandy and my toad is black. I'm getting ready to do it again in 3 weeks.

Steve,Kathy,Josh & Morpheus the Basenji
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2008 Wrangler X Rubicon/Blue OX Tow Bar/Ready Brake

LVJ58

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/12 08:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking for myself, at my age, I wouldn't want to take on the task, also must admit I'm a bit lazy.

Our gas coach isn't full body paint, so twice a year I hire two individuals in a detailing business who do a wash and wax on location. They charge a couple hundred dollars which I consider reasonable for the work involved.

If yours is full body paint, you may want to consider using a product called "The Solution" I hear it works great as a wash leaving a nice finish on the paint.

Good luck with your project..

Jim & Sherry Seward
Las Vegas, NV
2000 Residency 3790 V-10 w/tags & Banks System
2003 Suzuki XL/7 toad

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two cans wax should do the job. I wax and polish every spring. It is great therapy for wanting a bigger rig and is easier to keep clean. Get the kids, grand kids, neighbors. Have fun with it. Follow wax with polish. Every year I try a new brand of wax so have no reccomendations. Actually Mother's carnuba paste wax was surprisingly good. Have Fun

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 36 foot 5th wheel and I wax it two times a year and do the front cap before any long trips for bug control, I do it in stages, the front and back one day, one side another day and the last side on another day, has worked well but it is a huge job, I just take my time depending on the weather and how I am feeling, I do it mid season here in new England and again in oct before I put it away for the year. As I get older I am not sure I will be able to keep up to that plan but so far I have.

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A

restorodder

Pinckney Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/12 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have waxed the front myself,but never the whole coach. I am barely able to wash the four sides myself. I am not able to wash the roof. I usually hire someone to wash and wax once a year.

2008 Newmar Canyon Star - 2007 Dodge Dakota Toad - Ready Brute tow bar & brake system - one cat - Sassy 14

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Would you Wax your RV?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS