|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Shadow cruiser 280 QBS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Slider0906

CANADA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking for some honest opinions on the craftsmanship and durability of the Shadow cruiser 280 QBS? It has all I want and need especially the weight but I was told by some people to stay away as the quality of the trailer was no good!
Thanks

denverhank

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/12 02:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it will depend on how much you plan to use it. We're currently full-timing in ours and definitely showing butt/body prints on the various surfaces. Other than that, the usual trim coming off (3 trailers have all had this issue) is perhaps the biggest complaint. But a little gorilla glue goes a long way. I've also sealed up some seams that were letting in cold air at night. Insulation is not all that great, currently 72F outside and 86F inside and I have windows and the door open. A/C is quite loud so I try not to run it.

2003 Ford F-250 King Ranch 4x4 6L PSD
2012 Jayco 31.5FBHS
DW and an African Grey chatterbox
retired IT tech

eend

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have shadow cruiser (195wbs) so slightly smaller then yours, we bought it last year used and it was 1 year old, we used it quite a bit last year and we love the thing, we had a forestriver (flaggstaf) fifthwheel, but honestly this trailer is build way better, the only thing I don't like is the tires it comes with, they will be changed out soon.

The shadow cruiser is a step down from the Fun Finder and they have a pretty good reputation.

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3.0L diesel.
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
2010 195wbs Shadow cruiser travel trailer.

bchecker

Madison

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just ordered one myself. Went to the madison Camper show this weekend and confirmed my opinion the 28QBS by far the best designed bunkhouse out there in that size. I'm glad I'm only 6 ft tall or might be a little tight in spots. My dealer hooked me up with some owners that bought one last season and nothing but compliments. Only neg were no light switch on the wall in the bathroom for the kidos. Easy fix though.

2008 2500HD 6.0
2014 313BHS Shadow Cruiser

bchecker

Madison

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 03:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven't heard about any quality issues, made in the same building as the Funfinder in Indiana. Comparing models at the show seemed to be on the higher end for an ultralight. Was sitting in the unit with a factory rep while people in and out was stable no floor bounce. Couldnt say the same for the Surveyor. I paid with hitch and few small dollar extras less then 20k. Gilletts in Michigan quoted me $17900 delivered to my front door. I opted to pay little more and keep my dollar local.

* This post was edited 02/06/12 06:40pm by bchecker *

Top Shelf

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 09:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're looking at this model as well, it really does have everything we want in a floor plan, and the length and weight is ideal as well.

I too am concerned about quality, and I think the 280QBS has only been around for the 2011 and 2012 model years.

What prices are you guys seeing down in the States? I am in Calgary, Alberta and the best price I have seen is 23,000 plus tax.

I think I saw Holmans RV in Ohio had one for just under 20,000, but kind of a long 7500km road trip to pick up

SilnJohn

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hootravel wrote:

I've been looking at the Shadow Cruiser 280QBS and have intentions to purchase soon. However, I've got a couple of questions for current owners.

1. I see several models listed on dealer sites with a dry weight around 4600 lbs. Others are listed around 5500 lbs. Any idea why the big discrepancy? Did something change on the production lines?

2. I've got a 1/2 ton Suburban as a tow vehicle. Anyone else towing with a 1/2 ton have any thoughts about towing such a long trailer?

thanks!

Depends when it was built pre March/April 2011 models were a spec dry weight of 4682#, post that the spec dry weight was changed to 5404#. I don't know reason for the change but there was a recall dealing with incorrect weight labels between April 2011 and October 2011. I have the smaller 260 model that was part of the recall.

2012 Toyota Tundra Crew max 5.7 Platinum
2012 Infiniti G37xS
2012 Shadow Cruiser 260BHS

panamacamper1

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 05:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Purchased our in MD and Love it. Had a couple of issues with the cabinet door above the kitchen sink. (screw was stripped) so it hung a little. The lower cabinet in the bunk house was the same way. Other than that, we love this thing. I am so very glas we went with the 280qbs. Plus, it isn't well known yet like other models so we get a lot of attention at campgrounds. Espeacially when people see us pulling something of this size with our Ram 1500 Hemi.
Out side Kitchen is the BOMB!!!! I say, dont let this one get away you will regret it later, plus you only live one! Live Happy.

thrasher053

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the S260BHS, a little smaller but identical from the slide forward. First, confirm the weight. 6 months after we bought ours we got a new weight label from Cruiser RV adding 700 pounds to the dry weight.
As far as quality, there are some videos on YouTube showing construction in the factory, so you can see how they are put together. There are some choices made that seem to indicate they are trying to use better materials: stainless steel kitchen sink, Marinco power cord, alloy wheels, Beaufloor flooring. Other choices are for weight, especially the cabinets. Doors are solid wood and plywood, but the carcasses are built with lightweight plywood wrapped with vinyl. Screws do not hold well in the lightweight core.
Most of the other fittings are basic RV, lots of plastic, the most basic appliances, etc.
The big slide really opens up the floor space, but you may not be able to access the bunkhouse or bathroom with it closed. Many people find that important, it is not to us.
The only issues we had were one loose piece of trim, no signal from the antenna and the awning broke (Dometic issue.) All were repaired quickly by our dealer, Family RV in Pomona.
Since June we have 23 nights in the trailer and do not regret our purchase.

Bruce and Jennie
2012 Shadow Cruiser S260-BHS
2007 Silverado CC 1500 4.8L 3.73

hootravel

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/22/12 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been looking at the Shadow Cruiser 280QBS and have intentions to purchase soon. However, I've got a couple of questions for current owners.

1. I see several models listed on dealer sites with a dry weight around 4600 lbs. Others are listed around 5500 lbs. Any idea why the big discrepancy? Did something change on the production lines?

2. I've got a 1/2 ton Suburban as a tow vehicle. Anyone else towing with a 1/2 ton have any thoughts about towing such a long trailer?

thanks!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Shadow cruiser 280 QBS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS