|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Thermal Pane Windows

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
whporwil

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/12 05:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This will be our last camper without them.

Sundowner1

Chesapeake, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/12 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had them on my last two 5th wheels, and I would not be without them. Best thing is that they never sweat in cool or cold weather.

sundowner

10 Chevy2500HD, Duramax, crew, std bed, 4x4
08 Fleetwood Quantum 325rkts

Seamutt

Prince George BC Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 11:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have double pane windows but have metal frames. The windows don't sweat but the frames sure do when cold outside, cold frames. Check to see if the frames if metal, are solid metal or not. Some double glazed windows for houses if metal framed have a thermal barrier between the inside and outside. I don't know if this design is used in RV's.

2007 Okanagan 26 RLS Dual 6v.
2001 Chev. 8.1 L 4X4

thecampingman

Wilmington, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 04:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest benefit to cooling from the dual pane windows is the heavy tint they have. But if you're figuring on living in Florida in the summer you'd need mirrored reflective film on any windows exposed to the sun. Plus 240v air conditioner.

Question; If you're going to live in Florida why not just buy a permenant in some park? A nice 2 bedroom place just sold in Bucaneer Park here in Ft. Myers for $3,800. Sure the lot rent's $550/mo. but it's that much and more at RV parks.
I mean that's what we're going to do when we hit the "fully retired" stage.

'03 GMC 4500 Topkick with Duramax/Allison
'04 36' McKenzie Medallion triple slide
Cabover kayak racks w/18' touring kayaks.
Bicycle carrier on the front with a street bike & a mountain bike
Snowbird W/Ohio camper dock

Chief 2

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 04:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have them in my MS and for the most part are happy with them. I have had to replace six of them due to the seal between the glass going bad and causing them to fog up. Do they help with heat and cold? Yes!

2005 Lance 1181 Loaded
2005 Chevy 3500 4X4 Duramax, Edge Attitude Tuner, 5" Exhaust, Airaid, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig
2007 38RL3 Mobile Suite
2001 Bass Tracker 185

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 04:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you full time or use rig extensively during extreme cold conditions dual pane windows maybe worthwhile, however unlike your stick and brick home you receive no energy savings credit on your utility bill in the summer. Most do not camp in the extreme cold anyway so cold weather benefits are minimal. If the dual panes do not reduce my energy cost what's the point?
I could not justify the cost based solely on noise and condensation reduction benefits.
If you are concerned about the intense summer heat I suggest a 2nd A/C unit.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

If you full time or use rig extensively during extreme cold conditions dual pane windows maybe worthwhile, however unlike your stick and brick home you receive no energy savings credit on your utility bill in the summer. Most do not camp in the extreme cold anyway so cold weather benefits are minimal. If the dual panes do not reduce my energy cost what's the point?
I could not justify the cost based solely on noise and condensation reduction benefits.

Having owned more than several TT's and 5er's with only single pane windows, and then owning my last two 5er's which did/do have dual pane windows, I've had a different experience than you ...I've camped in temps. in the mid to upper 90's in SC and NC where it was very humid, and I've spent weeks and weekends camping when temps. dipped into single digits...and I know from experience that my AC cools more efficiently and I don't fill up my propane tanks as often as I use to when it's cold...now I know that flies in the face of everything you just stated, but I"m speaking from experience...I can compare from having had single pane windows in TT's and 5er's for years and years and years to owning two 5er's for the last, 7 yrs. that had/have dual pane windows...

Cost??? Don't know about that, the brand new Coachemen Somerset that I purchased off the lot in early 05 had a price on it that MORE than offset something as little as dual pane windows...again, the same with sig. 5er....purchased in 07' brand new off the lot....I got such a deal that most wouldn't believe it anyway, so cost of windows??? They were free in my case....

Condensation...never seen it....never even thought about that when I purchased the first 5er...I didn't even know the 5er had dual pane windows until I tried cranking up music inside to hear it outside...SO...another added feature is how it keeps noise from the outside from coming in...it's quieter than a unit with single pane windows...and it also keeps noise from the outside coming inside to some extent....a point some don't look at. Oh, the no condensation is just a bonus.

My 5er is almost 6 yrs. old....windows look as good as they did when unit was new. windows don't fog up and they work just fine...they do have a heavy reflective tint on them which I also think is a bonus...

I had a very good friend purchase my 04' Coachmen, which is going on 8 yrs. of age and his windows are still fine also....(I see it very often, he lives about a mile down the road from me).

Chief 2, who owns the MS, stated he had to replace six of his dual pane windows, (which doesn't seem to be the norm), STILL likes them and claims, as I do, that they DO, like it or not, help with heating and cooling one's rv....

We are not full time, but we camp as much as we can and dual pane windows are STILL a plus...in hot weather and cold weather...the so-called extra weight makes absolutely no difference in towing at all....I save money on propane whether one want's to believe it or not....hey, ask the wife, she even knows it..

receive no energy savings credit on your utility bill???? WHO CARES! I'm camping...I'm staying cooler in the summer time, staying warmer in the winter time, using less electricity to cool my unit, using less propane to heat it, keeping it quieter inside, don't go around with a towel wiping condensate off windows in my 5er...WAY TOO MANY PLUSES than arguments NOT to have them....sorry, it really is my experience, having owned both and had many years to compare both....

......oh, I have tow A/C's....they seem to work less to keep the unit cooler when it's a humid 92 degrees outside..or warmer..

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

richfaa

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 06:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do the homework on the difference between thermo pane and dual pane windows.
Check out the spec's. Determine if yur camping style requires them and the extra money they cost. We do not have them because we are never in real warm or real cold weather and the noise issue has never been a issue.

We have only seen one high dollar 5th wheel that had real thermopane windows. Most have dual pane and there is a big difference.

We are in the if you need them get them camp but as with any purchase make sure you understand the product and what it does.

2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky. 08 Ford F-350 6.4L

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NC Hauler wrote:

Lantley wrote:

Having owned more than several TT's and 5er's with only single pane windows, and then owning my last two 5er's which did/do have dual pane windows, I've had a different experience than you ...I've camped in temps. in the mid to upper 90's in SC and NC where it was very humid, and I've spent weeks and weekends camping when temps. dipped into single digits...and I know from experience that my AC cools more efficiently and I don't fill up my propane tanks as often as I use to when it's cold...now I know that flies in the face of everything you just stated, but I"m speaking from experience...I can compare from having had single pane windows in TT's and 5er's for years and years and years to owning two 5er's for the last, 7 yrs. that had/have dual pane windows...

Cost??? Don't know about that, the brand new Coachemen Somerset that I purchased off the lot in early 05 had a price on it that MORE than offset something as little as dual pane windows...again, the same with sig. 5er....purchased in 07' brand new off the lot....I got such a deal that most wouldn't believe it anyway, so cost of windows??? They were free in my case....

Condensation...never seen it....never even thought about that when I purchased the first 5er...I didn't even know the 5er had dual pane windows until I tried cranking up music inside to hear it outside...SO...another added feature is how it keeps noise from the outside from coming in...it's quieter than a unit with single pane windows...and it also keeps noise from the outside coming inside to some extent....a point some don't look at. Oh, the no condensation is just a bonus.

My 5er is almost 6 yrs. old....windows look as good as they did when unit was new. windows don't fog up and they work just fine...they do have a heavy reflective tint on them which I also think is a bonus...

I had a very good friend purchase my 04' Coachmen, which is going on 8 yrs. of age and his windows are still fine also....(I see it very often, he lives about a mile down the road from me).

Chief 2, who owns the MS, stated he had to replace six of his dual pane windows, (which doesn't seem to be the norm), STILL likes them and claims, as I do, that they DO, like it or not, help with heating and cooling one's rv....

We are not full time, but we camp as much as we can and dual pane windows are STILL a plus...in hot weather and cold weather...the so-called extra weight makes absolutely no difference in towing at all....I save money on propane whether one want's to believe it or not....hey, ask the wife, she even knows it..

receive no energy savings credit on your utility bill???? WHO CARES! I'm camping...I'm staying cooler in the summer time, staying warmer in the winter time, using less electricity to cool my unit, using less propane to heat it, keeping it quieter inside, don't go around with a towel wiping condensate off windows in my 5er...WAY TOO MANY PLUSES than arguments NOT to have them....sorry, it really is my experience, having owned both and had many years to compare both....

......oh, I have tow A/C's....they seem to work less to keep the unit cooler when it's a humid 92 degrees outside..or warmer..

NC your one of the more reasonable and knowledgeable people on this forum so I do value your experience and expertise.
Keep in mind I'm a weekend warrior with a few long stays in between.
But I am not retired and I imagine I don't camp as much as you.

Windows were a $1,300 option on my 2012 rig. My first criteria is would they pay for themselves. Well I figure I'd spend $200.00 a year on propane on my last rig. So if I budgeted $300.00 a year and save 20% with Thermos's I'd save $60.00 dollars. 1300/60= 21 years.
I'd get no return with electric.
Again condensation and noise reduction were not issue for me on my last rig.
Based on the minimal financial return I skipped on the windows.

Now I agree my logic maybe flawed. Looking for return on investment from dual pane windows is kind of silly. Especially since I did not purchase the rig as an investment. Go figure.
But again I am a weekend warrior and usage also played into my thinking. If I camped more dual pan windows would have been a higher priority.
I get your point though. Financial return a side the dual windows do make a difference and they are worth having.

In the end maybe I should have opted for the dual panes. Dual panes maybe one of those things like a Hensley Hitch or Dually pick up.
Until you experience them first hand you do not appreciate their value or benefits.
Keep on educating some of us are slow learners.

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley, I'm not retired either and with the way things are going...still might be a while before I get to. I DO understand your reasoning and apologize for coming on the way I did. As I stated above, first time I owned a 5er with dual pane windows, I didn't even know the unit had dual pane windows in it...the unit was a year old and sitting on the lot..we walked through it, liked what we saw and "did the deed"...we literally found out by chance we had them...that shows how smart I am

I do understand and guess if I'd looked at the pricing and was doing it today, I'd do all I could do to get a unit with dual pane windows and hope I could afford them, who knows, I might not be able to.

We camp as often as we can though the wife and I both still work. Wish we could go more or fulltime.....maybe one day...

.....didn't mean to come on the way I did and for that I apologize...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Thermal Pane Windows
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS