RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: US Health Insurance for Canadians??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> US Health Insurance for Canadians??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mayo30

Up here in the cold,cold north.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vladen wrote:

Hmm I thought Canada had Health Care for all its citizens. Are you sayin they wont pay "out of Country" claims?

Health care in Canada is a Provincial jurisdiction and varies from one to the other.The extra insurance is to cover the extra costs over out of Country medical costs and local Provincial costs.Each case is adjudicated for cost and patient safety,the extra costs,and the cost of repatriating the insured home as soon as condition allows.Usually flying a patient home is far,far, cheaper.The difference in cost between locations is and can be huge.Some travelers only take a medivac insurance to get home asap,but are still stuck with some costs.I strongly advise in buying the correct insurance and understand fully what is covered.

PaulB46

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thanks for the help folks

About Paul & Ann:
Enjoying Traveling and Working Full-Time From Our RV.

Using Our:
2011 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4
2012 5Th Wheel Alpine 3600RS
and Heading South Come December.

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will almost be forced to get your insurance from Ontario. You need a residence here in the US and health ins. will check your medical records before insuring. You won't get anything for that price. I sell insurance and have absolutely nothing even close to that price.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

isa

Richmond, B.C. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/12 12:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$45 for 21 days, and you want something cheaper !

Don't get old, we pay $20 / day, 0r $1800 for 91 days.

We have a 30 day annual with a 61 day top-up.

We are both in our 70's and I have a pre-existing condition viz. a stent in 2003.

PaulB46

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 05:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got the health insurance for that price through the Good SAMs club. I know it can be very costly when you're over a certain age. Then of course if you have health concerns they charge you astrnomical rates.

Therefore if people think we have a good rate which sounds like we do but again were only 47 with no health problems, you should check out the rate for yourself through the provider of good SAMs wich is the cooperators

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vladen wrote:

Hmm I thought Canada had Health Care for all its citizens. Are you sayin they wont pay "out of Country" claims?

It is my understanding that, for Ontario residents covered under the Ontario Health Insurance Plan, the Province will cover you up to whatever that same service would cost them if incurred in Ontario. For example, off their website: "an outpatient visit to a U.S. emergency room may cost thousands of dollars for the duration of your care, however OHIP will only reimburse up to a total of $50.00 CDN per day for this service regardless of the severity of the situation."

This is also all over their website in various sections related to US travel: "...it is strongly recommended that you obtain additional private medical insurance and fully understand what your policy covers."

1999 Itasca Sunrise

cherrykiss3

Texarkan TX.

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/12 06:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My son is 44 yr and he pays $500/mo for him, his wife and baby! I think $47 sounds very reasonable.

Cherry

Wildcat63

MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you add up what an employer pays and what a family pays on top of that for one month of health care coverage it can easily be over $1,000 a month. And you still have co-pays for everything. I have tried to argue some of our medical insurance co-pays for things like physicals which are supposed to not have a co-pay. I really get steamed when we are basically paying them what a mortgage for a home would be in a year and they want to nickel and dime me over $30.00

Wildcat63
07 Coachmen Clipper Classic 1070ST
02 Explorer 4.6 V8 TV

jolooote

Miami, FL

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 07:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pay about $12000.00 per year so I can sit in my Private Doctors air conditioned, modern office awaiting my turn. Those (40 million?)who don't want to, or can't, pay for this Private service can get FREE medical care at ANY Emergency room. 'Someone' wants to force me to pay to include about 40 million additional people into my Private Doctors waiting room, sitting next to me in line! If U play u'r cards rite...I'm sure Canadians can be there with me also. LOL

Joe&Charlotte, Nat'l SurfSide DE34D Ford 362HP 5speed

Rusty, Rosie Dogs
Leroy's a Conure
If its got Tires or Boobs...U'r GONNA have trouble with it!

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I could be wrong but...
I don't think you can apply for insurance from outside Canada. At best you can get an extension for the coverage you already have.

By the way this extra coverage while out of country is not near as expensive when traveling to any other country. In some countries it's not really needed, our regular insurance will cover it.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> US Health Insurance for Canadians??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS