RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Squeaking Creaking Class C Overhead!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Squeaking Creaking Class C Overhead!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
kcgaz

Scottsdale, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have noticed a squeaking and creaking noise while going down the road, especially when the road is rough. It sounds like the fiberglass overhead may be rubbing on the top of the cab causing the noise as the rig moves. There is an airspace between the top of the cab and the overhead as shown in the picture below and I was wondering if it would make any sense to slip a piece of thick rubber material in that space to act as a gasket of sorts? Has anyone tried this and did you have success? Appreciate any insights or other solutions to solve this irritating problem.

God Bless,
Kevin & Tracy
1993 Fleetwood Tioga Arrow, 30', Ford 460...Still on the road!
My Blog

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 10:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Squeak may come from a variety of sources - most of that construction material is wood and when wood moves it squeaks - some more than others. If your lucky it's just friction between the luan covering and the plywood flooring - some finishing nails might mitigate that. Might be the plywood flooring itself - maybe it got wet - maybe it needs more support (albeit just a few spots where you can drive screws through to support it.

In my rig I had a water leak by the side cab over window - required me to removed/replace the luan covering the cabover floor. When I put the new luan down I used a combo of glue and finishing nails - also put a few screws into the plywood near where the plywood adjoins the chassis near the driver/passenger seats - the chronic squeak which we had for years (and the dealer couldn't eliminate) magically went away.

edited for spelling.

* This post was edited 02/06/12 10:22am by ksg5000 *

Kevin

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kcgaz wrote:

We have noticed a squeaking and creaking noise while going down the road, especially when the road is rough. It sounds like the fiberglass overhead may be rubbing on the top of the cab causing the noise as the rig moves.

I thought I had read about a similar problem and looked it up. I tried archives since I remembered reading it a while ago. This is the first article, although there are probably others.
Squeaky cab
Apparently even though there is a space above the cab, the cabover is attached where the opening is to walk back into the house. Around that trim area, under the headliner of the cab, are a series of screws that are either no longer tight or are missing. Some folks added more just to be more secure.
Hope this is an easy fix!

We're hooked!
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e

jhlady

Portland, Oregon / Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 12:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevin,

You need to check this out fully. On my 2004 Jamboree the rivets that hold the overhead to the cab had broken. Had to pull the headliner down and re-rivet the whole thing. Much better now. Still hear creaks and groans once in awhile on particularily rough and uneven roads.

Hope this helps.

John

kcgaz

Scottsdale, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 12:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for the information and thanks EMD360 for the link to previous posts. Since this appears to be a bigger problem with Class C's than I originally thought, I will take some pictures and post them once I get into it to make it easier for others in the future.

We would like to get to some cooler weather this summer when it is 115+ here in AZ, but I don't think either my wife or I could stand all of the racked for the hours it would take to get there. Hopefully it is a quick and simple fix! Stay tuned.

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 02:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In mine I had to remove some of the bunk floor and put some more long screws into it to secure it better. Also we have a cover on the bunk that would squeak.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 09:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a recent case of this and suggested fix was stainless machine screws with elastic locking nuts.

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

kcgaz

Scottsdale, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d - Thanks for the response, can those be purchased somewhere like Home Depot or do they need to be ordered? Please advise and thanks.

kcgaz

Scottsdale, Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have only removed half of the headliner, but this is what I found so far on the passenger side. As you can see, one screw is sheared completely off and another has backed out half way.

If I have the clearance, I am thinking about using bolts and lock nuts rather than these small screws that will most like shear off and/or come loose again. Although this solution may not look as nice on the floor of the overhead bed, it will be covered over by the slide portion of the bed. Any additional thoughts or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Alalucha

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently got this same maddening squeaking sound right above my head in the cabover of my 94 Tioga. Took it to the shop where they confirmed it was coming loose where the horizontal connects to the vertical, just as described in the earlier posts on this forum referred to above. They replaced the rotting vertical and horizontal moldings on both sides and the old cab seal and put it all back together with longer screws, just as recommended here. For me it was worth the 6 hours labor and $50 parts charge to once again hear only the rattles my radio can drown out.

1994 Fleetwood Tioga, Ford E350

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Squeaking Creaking Class C Overhead!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS