|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Camping 1st time with 1yo and 3 other kids

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bkkalk6

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 10:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Im sorry if I sound like I have no idea what you are saying.. but I really dont.. lol.. Our TT is a 2003 so is the water safe? my hubby bought a inline water filter for the water hose so is this all we need??

psa0298

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will get many different answers to this. The water you put into your fresh water tank should be safe(I doubt you would put water in that wasn't) Many people do not use their water in their tank for consumption. I think it is silly but each to their own. I would suggest maybe sanizing you system and rinsing thoroughly(do a search there are many posts explaining how) We have a 1990 motorhome we purchased 4 years ago and have always used the water in the freshwater tank...never a problem. I always drain after each trip and refill for each new trip to keep the water fresh. The way I see it, you have a fresh water tank, why not use it. Then you also know where the water came from and it's quality. I have never used a water filter(although I think it is a good idea, I just haven't). I always check to make sure the water at CGs is potable and I have a smell/taste before filling my tank with it. I have never had a problem with water from a CG although others here have stated they have.

* This post was edited 02/07/12 01:29pm by psa0298 *

computerbug

Sarasota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 02:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sleeping bags (no linens) Side walk chalk, pail and shovel assorted plastic things and a bag of sand( pour it out let him have at it)Crunch berries for snacks and park next to some grand parents. Good Luck

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 10:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can put a baby gate up in the trailer to block the door. Also do a search on side rails on this forum. This will help you as the 1 yr old ages. Some people put a small pack n play on the dinnette for a crib. You might also want to remove/ disable the lock on the bathroom door. Trying to unlock the bathroom door w/ no-one on the other side is not fun. We had to disasemble the entire door handle to get it open. (We started camping when Dd was 3 1/2 yrs old) . Our Dd did take a walk on us. We caught her before she got far but she did get in the campground road. Gave us a heart attack. We have taught her not to go out and she won't now. She also hasn't figured out the door lock. A eye hook high up on the screen can help. Also baby locks on low cabinets. Watch your stove handles.etc. you still Jave to baby proof it. As stated before look for word that are easy to reach. We passed ok a jayco because the wires were easily reached under the sofa. Good luck. Happy camping.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL
Reese Dual Cam

2 nights camped in 2014!
21 nights camped in 2013!
21 nights camped in 2012!
27 nights camped in 2011!

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 07:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bkkalk6 wrote:

This is all WONDERFUL advice! THANK YOU!! Keep the posts coming!! Do you all take suitcases for clothing? what do you pack all of your "stuff" in?? Linens? clothes? bathroom items? food? etc.. etc..

Oh as far as water... do you bring lots of bottled water?? like 3-4 cases for a weekend? do you cook with bottled water? trailer water?? any good advice for that?? what do you give older kids for drinks other than water? just buy some capri sun or make pitchers of lemonade?? or what??

TY!!

LOVE the spider idea!! DEF gonna do that.. I also went to the dollar store yesterday and got a bunch of balloons and glow sticks so i can put the glow stick in the balloon and blow it up so they can play with them in the dark at night! p.s got that idea on pinterest!

We do not use suitcases--too bulky to store. I have had the kids put their things in a pillowcase or back pack. Each kid is allowed to bring one extra backpack for their toys, books, and games--but only one backpack. That means the teddy bears, blankies, Gameboys, etc must fit. It's amazing how your kids can streamline their idea of what they "must have" when they're forced to make those decisions.

Now, with the baby you will naturally need more clothes and diapers. Take twice the diapers that you think you'll need. Trust me on that--we ran out of diapers at Yellowstone and had to go into town to find more(*DS16 wears adult sizes, so we were really out of luck--had to find a pharmacy in another town!)

Laundry--I see you have boys. Take a laundry basket with you and keep it by the door outside the trailer (keeps the stinkiness down.)I save quarters all throughout the year. When I get a little bagful, I put them in the camper with those Purex 3-in-1 sheets so everything is together for laundry runs. Babies(and 5yr olds!) can generate more dirty laundry than you can believe. One time my DD, then 5, went through absolutely everything she had in the first 36hrs of camping (she fell into a creek--twice). She was literally running around in her last pair of dry panties and her Dad's tshirt, which might sound great, except it was April so a little nippy. I had to find a laundrymat to get her duds cleaned & dried. After that we made the kids bring extra clothes. You can always keep them in the car, if you don't have space.

Water--sometimes we use the campground water, if i know it tastes good and is safe. No well water for us. When we took our kids on a 2month long cross country trip , I took bottled water. Sometimes "strange" water can upset kids' tummies. I didn't want to deal with that on such a long trip, so bottled was the way to go. I do not use our freshwater tank for anything other than showering and toilet flushing. That's just me. YMMV.

I always take some games, books, and small crafts to be used in case of rain. Being closed up in a camper with nothing to do is miserable. I have been known to make my kids go on nature walks in the rain(as long as it's not thundering or cold.) So take some rain gear or use large trash bags with holes punched out for head and arms.

* This post was edited 02/08/12 07:56am by Chock Full o' Nuts *

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 09:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We sanitized the water system and use that to cook. I've always been a bottled water gal so I bring a case with me (there's 3 of us). We use 2 laundering baskets to move clothes. Dh packs his stuff in 1, Dd and I in the other. We use a cooler to carry food to storage lot (usually turn fridge on day before unless it is a close trip). When we get to storage lot I put things away while dh hooks up. I start putting food away. Then we head out. (I usually drive). At CG DH will unhooks and set up, hook up watwr, electric and sewer. While he's doing this, I'm putting the rest of.the clothes away. Dd gets to help or watch a movie. Once clothes are away and all of the blocks for the stab jacks and chocks etc are out of the way, the laundry baskets are stacked in the pass thru. We have a laundry chute so we drop the dirty clothes in at night. On trip home, dirty clothes in 1 basket, clean in other. If longer trip, we might utilize a large garbage bag to store dirty clothes.

Oh remember do not flush any wipes, even the toilet flushable ones! Also teach the boys tp fill the bowl halfway w/ water for BMs. this will help with the deaded stone mountain!

* This post was edited 02/07/12 10:04pm by anaro *

rolling_rhoda

South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/12 07:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use 2-3plastic tubs for hauling food and clothes into the rv. Once in we put stuff away. The tubs then get used for dirty clothes, muddy or wet gear, and wouldnt make a bad toddler bathtub either. Keep a dishpan of soapy water and toewl on the picnic table for quick washups and to conserve water. Also cuts down on trips in and out if the air conditioner is chugging away. Take flip flops for everyone and keep them by the door. Bare feet running around outside really soil flooring and furniture inside, and who knows what one might step on. :-)

4monkeys

Southwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 11:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 4 kids and use a giant insulated water cooler with a spicket. We load it with ice & water and leave it on the picnic table. They make a ton of 'crystal light' type products - individual sized packets that you can add to a cup of water; to give some individual variety. Besides, leaving sugary mixed drink in water jug attracts bugs.

We use duffel bags for clothes.

I also recommend to take a child carrier for your youngest, so the baby can enjoy hiking, etc with you guys! If it's an older 1 yo, you husband might want a backpack style carrier (I never used that type, but see them a lot when hiking).

The kids will have a blast no matter what! Enjoy - you're doing a good thing for your family!

4monkeys

Southwest Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 11:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wanted to add, that I've also found I never have enough snacks. Because we are literally outside on the go all day, the kids are always famished.
And for packing food, we use Rubbermaid tubs. But we've been tent campers, not in an RV w/ cabinets.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Family Camping

> Camping 1st time with 1yo and 3 other kids
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Family Camping

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS