|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Eliminating State Income Tax

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 03:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockportrocket wrote:

The difference in state income tax and no state income tax, is............

you get to make the decision to pay other taxes, but you dont on income tax.

Yeah, you can always live in a box under a bridge. That will show them.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

MrsSoCalToolGuy

Fountain Valley Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some years ago, we met some folks from San Antonio while attending an rv rally.. We compared home values and property taxes with theirs. Our homes value was more than twice that of the folks from Texas home was, yet we paid considerable less in Property taxes...

Their general cost of living was less in Texas than ours though..There's always a trade off I guess..

We love parts of Texas (still so) and considered moving there.. In the end we could not give up our weather here in SoCal..

Barb

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

covetsthesun

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lived in FL for a number of years with no state income tax. The bottom line is the state has to have money to operate. If it doesn't come from income tax..it's going to come from somewhere. FL's property taxes can be very high...and a lot of other taxes are high as well. But food and med's were not taxed and a lot of OTC meds weren't taxed.

Is OK telling you where and how it intends to get it's operating $$?

cts

covetsthesun

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 06:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wagonmaster2 wrote:

covetsthesun wrote:

We lived in FL for a number of years with no state income tax. The bottom line is the state has to have money to operate. If it doesn't come from income tax..it's going to come from somewhere. FL's property taxes can be very high...and a lot of other taxes are high as well. But food and med's were not taxed and a lot of OTC meds weren't taxed.

Is OK telling you where and how it intends to get it's operating $$?

cts

That's the $64,000 question I'd like to have answered. All the propaganda just says there are lots of costs of operation that can be reduced. Kind of like politicians running for office, they will tell you anything but then after-the-fact nothing gets done as promised. Our current federal administration is an excellent example of that. They are claiming even back several years ago when the state income tax rate was reduced that sales tax revenue increased. Liers can figure but figures don't lie.

Wagonmaster2

LOL! Even FIGURES can be made to lie!! Years ago I lived in MO. During the initial riverboat craze all the talking heads told us our property taxes would be lower, streets better and we'd have better educated kids...IF...IF we allowed the river boats on the Missouri river. Well...fast forward... Jackson and Clay Cos property taxes rival some Florida locales, KC school district lost their accreditation (according to friends), roads in KC still need fixing. Oh..and the riverboats are barges tied to land. Too dangerous to have real "boats" on the waters. The proponents had all the figures in the world laid out to prove the rosy future. The only place that seemed to benefit was North Kansas City...but it still smells bad.

OK is going to get the money from somewhere. And...it sounds like the propaganda machine is in full swing. The very, very wealthy do quite well in "no state income tax" states. If I had a huge income I'd be living in FL again. And..no...I'm not mad at the wealthy people.

It just occurred to me... If OK goes to "no state income tax" it could be a huge draw for people of wealth to relocate themselves and possibly corporations. That would go a long way toward stimulating OK's general economy. That would help generate operating $$, but... that doesn't mean it will help you.

Just my thoughts and observations... 2cts worth.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It should be kept firmly in mind that a FULL-TIMER could care less about property taxes, he just wants to avoid the paperwork involved in filing State Income Tax Returns!
Since he will probably spend very little time in his "State Of Residence", he probably doesn't much care about the Sales Tax Rate, either (he is more interested in the tax rate where he is currently buying "stuff"!)
For me, the choice will be simple: Do I want to deal with the annual State Tax Returns in exchange for the PERMANENT registrations for vehicles over 10 years old, or do I want to become a "paper resident" of a state that does not have an income tax, and have to deal with annual re-registration of vehicles?
I still have time to make up my mind.

* This post was edited 02/08/12 07:49am by an administrator/moderator *

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

lwmuddy

So.carolina

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

State Taxes, as with any other taxes collected, are subject to, shall I say, shrinkage due to misdirection and/or high administration costs.
And changing the name in some cases from TAXES to FEE'S helps misdirect.

There will always be taxes, it's a fact of living.

Bowling Green, KY

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 07:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved from ATC

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The advantage of a state with no income tax is that it will take a lot of pressure to enact one. On the other hand, states with income, sales, and property taxes can easily jack up the rates at any time.

Worst case with property taxes, buy some unimproved land in and stick a portable building on it as a mailbox. With an income tax, there is no escape unless your CPA already has already made you a "paper resident" of Texas.

Dutch_12078

Great Sacandaga Lake, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

It should be kept firmly in mind that a FULL-TIMER could care less about property taxes, he just wants to avoid the paperwork involved in filing State Income Tax Returns!
Since he will probably spend very little time in his "State Of Residence", he probably doesn't much care about the Sales Tax Rate, either (he is more interested in the tax rate where he is currently buying "stuff"!)
For me, the choice will be simple: Do I want to deal with the annual State Tax Returns in exchange for the PERMANENT registrations for vehicles over 10 years old, or do I want to become a "paper resident" of a state that does not have an income tax, and have to deal with annual re-registration of vehicles?
I still have time to make up my mind.

Having done both for many years, I can absolutely say that renewing vehicle registrations annually, or bi-annually here in NY, is much easier than filing income taxes. And often much cheaper...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

orfsotr

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The same push is on here in MO, but the solution proposed to maintain revenue is to increase sales tax by 3%. Which could make for some pretty hefty taxes on new vehicles and other expensive purchases.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Eliminating State Income Tax
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS