|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Continuous duty solenoid

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
mtnstarman

Piney Woods

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I'm not using my TC with the DW aboard, I've started using my fiberglass camper shell/cap to camp alone. When I'm "roughing it" I don't need a lot of luxuries, but would like to have a deep cycle battery or two for running fans, lights, etc. My alternator puts out 150 amps, so I'm needing suggestions on a brand and model of contiuous duty solenoid for my situation. Up to two 12v (115 ah each)batteries with a 18' run from chassis battery to the deep cycle batteries. Probably go with two Everstart wallyworld trolling motor batteries that I already have on-hand. What size wire would I need for this distance and should I use a fuse. If so, what size and where should it be installed? Thanks

Boatycall

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I run 4 Golf carts in my camper, 6 in my toyhauler.

If they're just light duty, lights, fans etc, and no inverter, I'd say running 8ga is fine. Plenty of amperage, and YES, fuse is mandatory.

Here's a way to cheat-- go to Walmart in the car stereo section, and get one of thier Amplifier install kits. Ebay has a ton also if you're not in a hurry. For a small load like this, they come with fuse, fuse holder, and wire.

As far as continuous duty solenoid - Are you wanting it to come on when the truck is running to charge them back up? I use a simple Battery Kill switch. An isolator is also a good choice.

01 F350 DRW 4x4, Torklifts, SuperHitch, F550 Rear Suspension, Roadmaster ANTI-Sway Bar, Rancho 9000s, Jasper MonsterBox Tranny
2012 Eagle Cap 1160-Six 6v Interstate Golf Cart Batteries, 100a truck charging circuit, 2kw Inverter, Dish Tailgator, Ice maker

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 01:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, for that run, double the number and that's yer true run length for voltage losses.

So, doing that, yer likely close to mine, so, nothing less than 6 gauge AWG, though 4 gauge would be better, especially if you're goal is to get effective charging from the truck alternator.

I did the 8 gauge, and ended up redoing it all, save yourself the money and do it right the first time.

For the relay, I just used one of these:

Tekonsha 3 Terminal Battery Switch Isolator

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

cewillis

Tucson, az, usa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Well, for that run, double the number and that's yer true run length for voltage losses.

So, doing that, yer likely close to mine, so, nothing less than 6 gauge AWG, though 4 gauge would be better, especially if you're goal is to get effective charging from the truck alternator.

I did the 8 gauge, and ended up redoing it all, save yourself the money and do it right the first time.

Joe is right -- do not undersize the wire.

Cal

d3500ram

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As Matt suggested I aslo used this same CDS:

Though not the same truck as you, you can see how I installed this and the breaker in my truck. I would imagine that with sufficient space, the install would be similar: Install of continuous duty solenoid.

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.
2008 NorthStar Arrow short bed.

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used 4 ga , 80 amp circuit breaker each end to protect wiring , 80 amp continuous duty solenoid with lighted on/off switch in cab. You can get the solenoid at most auto parts .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A

mtnstarman

Piney Woods

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Boatycall wrote:

As far as continuous duty solenoid - Are you wanting it to come on when the truck is running to charge them back up? I use a simple Battery Kill switch. An isolator is also a good choice.

Yeah, Boaty. I want to charge the batteries only when the engine is running. I'm too forgetful to use the kill switch.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mtnstarman wrote:

Boatycall wrote:

Yeah, Boaty. I want to charge the batteries only when the engine is running. I'm too forgetful to use the kill switch.

I just tapped the ignition hot lead that turns my stereo on in my pickup, so that whenever the key goes to right position, it connects the secondary battery under the hood and the rest of the camper circuit.

Joners

Idaho Falls, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cewillis wrote:

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Joe is right -- do not undersize the wire.

Joe and "cewillis" are both correct in their reply. And the battery isolator costs about $20.00.

Cap'n Bob

1996 Chevy K1500 4X4 Short Box, 5.7L Vortec, E rated tires, Lance Model 820 with Cabover Struts, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags, KYB MonoMax Shocks, Torklift Stable Loads, Happijac Truck Camper Tiedowns and Turnbuckles, Honda Eu2000i Inverter/Generator.

mtnstarman

Piney Woods

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

I've got plenty of 10 gauge stranded wire already on hand. Would it be OK to run two of these wires together to come up with an equivalent 4 gauge wire. I read today on a wire gauge site where using 2 wires with the same diameter together would equate to one wire with 6 gauge numbers smaller. If this is correct, my two 10's would result in a 4 gauge wire. Make sense?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Continuous duty solenoid
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS