|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Freedom Express 292BHDS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
fedwa001

Huachuca City

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 01:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So my Wife and I have been kicking around the idea of getting a travel trailer. I have already got some much great info regarding things like towing information and what to look for while shopping. I am pre-approved through my own bank and I think I’m ready to get it done. We are looking at a Freedom Express 292BHDS and were wondering if anyone had one and could give a little feedback. Pro’s Con’s?

fedwa001

Huachuca City

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Particulary will I have any trouble towing this with a 2011 F150 rated at 7500?

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 02:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That will be a good match for your truck. Right at the limit but a good match.

The Coachmen Freedom Express hasn't been bashed on this board lately, I think it's a great ultra-light. Considered it when shopping for trailers.

5500 lbs dry will weigh around 6500 loaded with options. 7500 lb towing capacity will be comfortable at 80% = 6000 lbs.

You don't want to go any heavier.

2009 Keystone Passport UL 290BH
2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L/3.73

gregrc75

New Bedford, Massachusetts

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a 2010 Freedom Express 242rbs for almost 2 years. I bought it new in 09 and it was a great trailer. It felt solid and didn't wear out any. It towed easily also. I traded it in for a Keystone Bullet Premier because I liked the floorplan. I find the Coachmen had fewer initial issues than the Keystone. On a side note...I like the Keystone, the dealer has fixed the few issues and has been terrific.

Greg and J
Sam - the Golden Retriever. Ben - the Yellow Lab
2011 Keystone Bullet Premier 28RLPR
2012 Nissan Titan SL CC

eye8Ubutler

Maritime Provinces

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fedwa001 wrote:

So my Wife and I have been kicking around the idea of getting a travel trailer. I have already got some much great info regarding things like towing information and what to look for while shopping. I am pre-approved through my own bank and I think I’m ready to get it done. We are looking at a Freedom Express 292BHDS and were wondering if anyone had one and could give a little feedback. Pro’s Con’s?

We have a 2010 280RLS, it is great.
Re. your F150, I'll be honest and say you are cutting it fine!

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ 2007 (new shape)
4x4 Crew Cab VORTEC MAX (L76) 6.0L V8 4L70E 4.10 axle
factory NHT Max Trailering Package.
2010 Coachmen Freedom Express 280 RLS

"...a Waldorf Salad?, sorry we are fresh out of Waldorfs!".......BASIL FAWLTY.

fedwa001

Huachuca City

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 08:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the great info yall, we are gonna continue to look another week or two (no reason to rush on a decision like this right)and hopefully I will be able to post some pictures. Any one have any recomendations of WDH?

eric james

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 09:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fedwa001 wrote:

Thanks for all the great info yall, we are gonna continue to look another week or two (no reason to rush on a decision like this right)and hopefully I will be able to post some pictures. Any one have any recomendations of WDH?

Equal-i-zer 4 point

Reese SC

Reese Strait Line

pwrplay

Burlington

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 03:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We just purchased (today) a 292BHDS as well and am looking forward to picking it up the beginning of May. (it was a stock unit , I just didn't want to store it until then).

I'll be pulling it with a 2008 F150 5.4L XLT 4x4 with Tow Package. I talked to another 292BHDS owner who pulls with the same TV and he said his 2010 F150 FX4 pulls it no problem. He's using a Reese WD hitch with the Cam Sway Control and says at 80Km/hr (50MPH) he doesn't feel it but the max he'd go is 110 Km/hr (68MPH).

I'll be getting the Husky Centerline WD which I believe is similar to his Reese, so I feel pretty comfortable with this set up. The TT weight is 6120 lbs as shipped.

Anyone else have/had a similar set up and provide any feedback.

Thanks alot.

By the way this is a great forum and it really helped us with our purchase decision. Thanks for all the informative posts!!

2012 Coachmen Freedom Express 292BHDS
Husky Centreline WDH w/sway control
2009 Ford F250 Super Duty CC 4x4 6.8L V10 4.10 "Big Bubba"
2013 Nights Camped: 32
2012 Nights Camped: 38

steeleshark

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, doing camp driveway this weekend. Working on getting all the supplies needed for the trailer and testing everything out before venturing all over the place. Kids are watching a movie in the bunk house and I am at the table on the computer. This is really nice. Plenty of storage. Today, I installed my second swaybar and adjusted some of the setup with the hitch. I had to lower the ball by 2 holes. The trailer was tilted up slightly when on the hitch. When I hook back up tomorrow I am going to measure to see what the perfect amount of links to have for the WD hitch. I could really feel the 40mph wind gusts when running 50 mph but was still well on the safe side in the Armada. Getting everything fined tuned with a second sway bar is going to make it even better.

2011 Nissan Armada SL w/Tow Package
2012 Coachmen Freedom Express (292BHDS) Liberty Edition

steeleshark

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camp driveway was a success. I also had time to adjust my hitch setup to a more appropriate configuration and installed a second sway control bar. I moved the hitch ball down 2 holes which made the trailer perfectly level when hooked up to the Armada. I also went up another link on the wd hitch (now 6 links between the spring bar and the hitch.) No my auto level only comes on foe about 15 to 20 seconds. All in all, when I took it back to storage, this trailer felt solid behind the Armada. I am very pleased. Next weekend, going to a campground about 8 miles away for its real true test.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Freedom Express 292BHDS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS