RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Revived Trailer Tire Thread (formerly on the 5th Wheel Forum

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Revived Trailer Tire Thread (formerly on the 5th Wheel Forum

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 95  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

Senior Member

Joined: 01/27/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/27/12 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

..... My current trailer has a 11200 lb GVWR with 5200 lb axles. The trailer axle weights run from 9000 lbs to about 9400 lbs for longer trips (actual scaled weights). My LT215/85-16 E at 2680 lbs gives me 10720 lb of capacity and has plenty of reserve capacity.
Again, figuring another 15 percent of capacity above my trailer 11200 GVWR would put the trailers tire needs at around 13000 lbs.

IMO lets be careful about a one size fits all with a 15 percent above the trailers GVWR recommendation. It doesn't make cents or sense for many folks.

I note with great interest that if Jim had followed the detail, he would have realized that he is actually running his tires at 78.2% of the load for an ST tire - which is suspiciously close to the 85% value I started of with in the beginning.


********************************************************************

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

sh410

Northwest

Senior Member

Joined: 08/29/2007

View Profile



Posted: 02/27/12 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

IMO lets be careful about a one size fits all with a 15 percent above the trailers GVWR recommendation. It doesn't make cents or sense for many folks.


While I agree with your comments, judging from the many comments on this forum about useing the GVWR or CCC of a RV as the criteria for purchase with the intent of useing it all because of the sticker rating may reduce the margin of safety of the OEM tires.





Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

Senior Member

Joined: 12/19/2000

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/27/12 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

JIMNLIN wrote:

..... My current trailer has a 11200 lb GVWR with 5200 lb axles. The trailer axle weights run from 9000 lbs to about 9400 lbs for longer trips (actual scaled weights). My LT215/85-16 E at 2680 lbs gives me 10720 lb of capacity and has plenty of reserve capacity.
Again, figuring another 15 percent of capacity above my trailer 11200 GVWR would put the trailers tire needs at around 13000 lbs.

IMO lets be careful about a one size fits all with a 15 percent above the trailers GVWR recommendation. It doesn't make cents or sense for many folks.

I note with great interest that if Jim had followed the detail, he would have realized that he is actually running his tires at 78.2% of the load for an ST tire - which is suspiciously close to the 85% value I started of with in the beginning.


FYI he would not be caught dead on a ST tire. Chris


My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX.

FastEagle

Taylors, SC

Senior Member

Joined: 03/05/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/28/12 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris wrote:

FastEagle wrote:

You can read this for another point of view.

FastEagle
Why didn't you just say "to re-read my options on ST tires" click here. What really is your agenda in regards to ST tires? You are not a qualified tire engineer and our personal record with them is not good. You were going to give up on them and now you are not!!!!

You are all over the internet promoting a product that many feel is a product with more faults than good points. Only good point appears to be that they are cheap to buy! And that is why then end up on trailers OEM.

Chris


Are you in the USA? We have free speach here. My point of view is just as acceptable in this forum as yours.

FE

FE

Bus driver Joe

Oceanside CA USA

Full Member

Joined: 11/07/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/28/12 01:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2001 Komfort 30' Travel trailer w/ 2 slides weighing 10,200lb. Bee running Goodyear Marathons 225/75/R15 Load range D since new, but have had around 14 blowouts. Sick of wasting money on Goodyear, always purchased from Goodyear Tire Stores, many of which were Truck Centers. Another Dealer recommended Maxis Load range E. Research verified Load range D rated @ 2450 @ 65psi means I have been overloaded since new. Any history on performance of Maxis?
Appreciate, Bus Driver Joe


2001 Komfort 29TS, Ford F-250 Super Duty King cab 7.3 liter turbo diesel.

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 04/06/2006

View Profile



Posted: 02/28/12 02:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FastEagle wrote:

Chris wrote:

FastEagle wrote:

You can read this for another point of view.

FastEagle
Why didn't you just say "to re-read my options on ST tires" click here. What really is your agenda in regards to ST tires? You are not a qualified tire engineer and our personal record with them is not good. You were going to give up on them and now you are not!!!!

You are all over the internet promoting a product that many feel is a product with more faults than good points. Only good point appears to be that they are cheap to buy! And that is why then end up on trailers OEM.

Chris


Are you in the USA? We have free speach here. My point of view is just as acceptable in this forum as yours.

FE

FE


Way to go FE! Once again the tire ruffians led by Chris in his attempt to stifle anyone who doesn’t worship the LT. He always accuses others of an agenda...his agenda is the worst. His agenda is to censure anyone with a differing point of view!

* This post was last edited 02/28/12 02:36pm by RandACampin *   View edit history

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

Senior Member

Joined: 02/23/2011

View Profile



Posted: 02/28/12 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bus driver Joe wrote:

2001 Komfort 30' Travel trailer w/ 2 slides weighing 10,200lb. Bee running Goodyear Marathons 225/75/R15 Load range D since new, but have had around 14 blowouts. Sick of wasting money on Goodyear, always purchased from Goodyear Tire Stores, many of which were Truck Centers. Another Dealer recommended Maxis Load range E. Research verified Load range D rated @ 2450 @ 65psi means I have been overloaded since new. Any history on performance of Maxis?
Appreciate, Bus Driver Joe

This is a PERFECT ILLUSTRATION of where the fault for most trailer tire trouble lies:
Squarely at the feet of the people that built the TRAILER.

BusDriverJoe's tires were undersized to begin with. He's faithfully continued to replace them with exactly the same tires, just as the manufacturer recommends.

Except that the manufacturers recommendation is WRONG, and clearly decided on as the cheapest, very minimum required to get the vehicle off the production line at the lowest possible cost.

Outcome:
Joe's had 14 blowouts, and naturally he's sick of it so he's going to change the size...but also the brand!

Which is the best possible outcome as far as The American RV industry is concerned:

It's the fault of THE TIRE INDUSTRY!


" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

Senior Member

Joined: 04/06/2006

View Profile



Posted: 02/28/12 02:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

Bus driver Joe wrote:

2001 Komfort 30' Travel trailer w/ 2 slides weighing 10,200lb. Bee running Goodyear Marathons 225/75/R15 Load range D since new, but have had around 14 blowouts. Sick of wasting money on Goodyear, always purchased from Goodyear Tire Stores, many of which were Truck Centers. Another Dealer recommended Maxis Load range E. Research verified Load range D rated @ 2450 @ 65psi means I have been overloaded since new. Any history on performance of Maxis?
Appreciate, Bus Driver Joe

This is a PERFECT ILLUSTRATION of where the fault for most trailer tire trouble lies:
Squarely at the feet of The Manufacturer.

BusDriverJoe's tires were undersized to begin with. He's faithfully continued to replace them with exactly the same tires, just as the manufacturer recommends.

Except that the manufacturers recommendation is WRONG, and clearly decided on as the cheapest, very minimum required to get the vehicle off the production line at the lowest possible cost.

Outcome:
Joe's had 14 blowouts, and naturally he's sick of it so he's going to change the size...but also the brand!

Which is the best possible outcome as far as The American RV industry is concerned:
It's the fault of THE TIRE INDUSTRY!


First you correctly blame the Rv manufacterer and then blame the tire industry?

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

Senior Member

Joined: 12/19/2000

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/28/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bus driver Joe wrote:

2001 Komfort 30' Travel trailer w/ 2 slides weighing 10,200lb. Bee running Goodyear Marathons 225/75/R15 Load range D since new, but have had around 14 blowouts. Sick of wasting money on Goodyear, always purchased from Goodyear Tire Stores, many of which were Truck Centers. Another Dealer recommended Maxis Load range E. Research verified Load range D rated @ 2450 @ 65psi means I have been overloaded since new. Any history on performance of Maxis?
Appreciate, Bus Driver Joe


Is the 10200 the weight on the axles or the GVWR. Are you accounting for the pin weight? Chris

azjeffh

Chandler, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 09/19/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/28/12 06:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bus driver Joe wrote:

2001 Komfort 30' Travel trailer w/ 2 slides weighing 10,200lb.... Research verified Load range D rated @ 2450 @ 65psi means I have been overloaded since new. Any history on performance of Maxis?

Joe,

Re: overloaded, remember the tires are not carrying the full 10,200 lbs. My trailer when fully loaded (propane and water included) weighed in at 10,170. However the weight on each tire (weighed individually) was between 1975 and 2025 lbs, the rest was pin weight. I had approx. 8000 lbs on my tires rated to carry 9800 lbs.

After experiencing tread separation on one tire (also a Marathon), I moved "up" to Maxxis 15" LRE's. They lasted 26 months before I experienced sidewall separation on 2 tires within miles of each other.

Most here have had good luck with Maxxis, I just had no luck with them or the other ST manufacturer I purchased from.

Good luck.


Jeff
Wonderful wife Robin
05 F250 Supercab PSD w/Tow Command
05 HR Savoy 29RKS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 95  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Revived Trailer Tire Thread (formerly on the 5th Wheel Forum
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS