RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Revived Trailer Tire Thread (formerly on the 5th Wheel Forum

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Revived Trailer Tire Thread (formerly on the 5th Wheel Forum

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 95  
Next
Sponsored By:
CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, I'll try this again but with a different tack.

I am of the opinion that ST tires should have a 15% reserve capacity (85% of the load at a given pressure) in order to be reasonably sure they won't fail. There are a couple of ways of estimating what the actual load is on a given tire of a trailer, but the best way is to actually measure each tire. The RMA has a procedure to follow:

http://www.rma.org/publications/tire_service_professionals/index.cfm?PublicationID=11516

I am of the opinion that this 15% reserve capacity is likely to require higher load ranges and larger sized ST tires - or both. And maybe even a step into LT type tires - and here is where it gets tricky.

While I feel uncomfortable recommending that LT tires be loaded to their maximum load, that is in essence the result. I feel uncomfortable with that because I don't have enough experience to say it with confidence. However, I have no hesitation in recommending replacing ST tires with LT tires if it can be done with enough clearances around the tire.

A couple of other points:

ST tires can be inflated 10 psi over the maximum pressure listed in the sidewall of the tire - and I'd recommend that if you can't get to a 15% reserve capacity.

Recent bulletins from the tire industry indicate that tires degrade simply due to time. The age of a tire is important even if the tire is unused.

There is some disagreement over how to best express this age limitation,
but my take is:

If you live in a hot climate (AZ, CA, NV, TX, and FL) then the limit is six years. If you live in a cold climate (MN, ND, WI, MT, etc), then the limit is 10 years. States in between are ..... ah ........ in between.

A rule of thumb for estimating if you need more load carrying capacity:

Check the cold (ambient temperature) tire pressure before starting off. Measure the inflation pressure after an hour of driving.

If the tire pressure build up is less than 10%, it's OK. If the pressure build up is between 10% and 15%, then continue to monitor until you are sure it is not above 15%. If the pressure buildup is 15% or greater, add load carrying capacity (and one of the ways to do that is to add pressure). For ST and LT tires, NEVER use more than 10 psi over the sidewall pressure.

Any questions?

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

daamac

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 03:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a 15" LT tire that could replace a 15" Load Range D ST tire?

There's lots of advice and information in forums...
sometimes it is correct.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab; Duramax/Allison; Pullrite 14k Superglide Hitch

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 03:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would going over pressure require wheels rated for the extra pressure? Chris

My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX.

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

daamac wrote:

Is there a 15" LT tire that could replace a 15" Load Range D ST tire?

Great question as many of us fall into this category and would gladly go to an LT tire if a good one were available.

This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

Wayne Dohnal

Bend, OR.

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 04:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

ST tires can be inflated 10 psi over the maximum pressure listed in the sidewall of the tire -

Any questions?
With a nonsense statement like this (from at least some of the tire manufacturers), how can you take any of the specs seriously? I thought the definition of maximum was pretty clear cut. Must be my outdated dictionary.

2009 Fleetwood Icon 24A
Honda Fit dinghy with US Gear brake system
LinkPro battery monitor - EU2000i generator

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 04:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer
Thanks for coming back and giving it another try. I was following your previous thread (now closed) with interest.
Hopefully everyone will stay on topic and stay polite so that it will remain open..

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP

HTElectrical

Las Vegas

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 04:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CapriRacer wrote:

If you live in a hot climate (AZ, CA, NV, TX, and FL) then the limit is six years. If you live in a cold climate (MN, ND, WI, MT, etc), then the limit is 10 years. States in between are ..... ah ........ in between.

Do you recommend using any tire treatment chemicals if so what and why, if not why? The obvious would be to keep the tires covered, and not park on dirt or wet ground. Anything else to prolong tire life?
Thanks in advance!
Nathan

2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift, 35" Hankooks
2009 284SA Vortex

kedanie

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let me see if I understand correctly.

You say that an ST tire needs a 15% reserve and should not be loaded beyond 85% of sidewall capacity. Also, you indicate that the LT tire can be used at 100% of it's sidewall capacity.

If this is true, then a lot of manufacturers of RV's are doing their customers a disservice by putting underrated tires on their vehicles. One that comes to mind is JAYCO that still installs 16" load range "D" ST tires with a 3000# load capacity on rigs with 6K axles. Don't believe me? Go to your nearest dealer and take a look.

Keith

Keith, Gloria & Charlie(Spoiled Rotten Boston Terrier)
2010 Damon Astoria 3470
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Viet Nam Veteran

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kedanie wrote:

Let me see if I understand correctly.

You say that an ST tire needs a 15% reserve and should not be loaded beyond 85% of sidewall capacity. Also, you indicate that the LT tire can be used at 100% of it's sidewall capacity.

If this is true, then a lot of manufacturers of RV's are doing their customers a disservice by putting underrated tires on their vehicles. One that comes to mind is JAYCO that still installs 16" load range "D" ST tires with a 3000# load capacity on rigs with 6K axles. Don't believe me? Go to your nearest dealer and take a look.

Keith

Or most Montana's with GAWR OF 6750 and tires rated to 3420. Do the math 90 full pounds of extra capacity per axle. Chris

* This post was edited 02/07/12 04:39pm by Chris *

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mention monitoring the rise in air pressure. Based on my knowledge of the ideal gas law, what you are in effect measuring is the increase in temperature. For me, twisting the valve caps off an on that often is a real pain, plus, the guages available that will handle my 80 psi tires are not exactly high fidelity.

I know you have said you are not an RVer, so I will let you in on what some of us do. We carry these infrared non contact thermometers that are available from Home Depot, Lowes, Harbor Freight, or an auto parts store. Whenever we stop, we check the temperatures of our tires, our hubs, and our brakes. It is real quick and convenient. If we knew the air temperature outside the tires (i.e. have a wireless thermometer stashed somewhere where the sun doesn't shine underneath the trailer), shouldn't there be a maximum temperature above that for the tire?

ERS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 95  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Revived Trailer Tire Thread (formerly on the 5th Wheel Forum
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS