RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Revived Trailer Tire Thread (formerly on the 5th Wheel Forum

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Revived Trailer Tire Thread (formerly on the 5th Wheel Forum

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 95  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
FastEagle

Taylors, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=Chris]

Sorry, double post.

Quote:

FastEagle

* This post was edited 03/04/12 02:36pm by FastEagle *

FastEagle

Taylors, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FastEagle wrote:

Chris wrote:

FE, you should get a job with Keystone and solve the issues with most of their larger trailers with GAWR of 6750 and two Marathon's rated to 3420. Have you contacted them about this terrible tire choice? If trailers came OEM with tires better suited to weight and use, then we would see a lot less tire threads. Chris

I’ve been to a couple of large RV shows lately and took lots of pictures. Here is one depicting just the figures you are talking about. Keystone has learned nothing about their OE tires in more than 10 years. And their OE supplier here is GY with tires rated at 3420# that just barely meet the vehicle’s GAWR. BUYERS BEWARE!!!

Keystone Placarding

FastEagle

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 02:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hoo boy!

Here's a beaut of a chance to watch the DIY version of the RV Industry's "attention to suspension" process from the ground up!

The fellow that just started this thread here at RV.net might benefit from a few words of wisdom from those of you that understand such things as matching frame etc. to load.

DeadeyeLefty wrote:

I started with a tent trailer - $50 on craigslist. Once the body was off, the build could begin:

This is the completed but not yet glassed deck:

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FastEagle wrote:

FastEagle wrote:

Chris wrote:

FE, you should get a job with Keystone and solve the issues with most of their larger trailers with GAWR of 6750 and two Marathon's rated to 3420. Have you contacted them about this terrible tire choice? If trailers came OEM with tires better suited to weight and use, then we would see a lot less tire threads. Chris

I’ve been to a couple of large RV shows lately and took lots of pictures. Here is one depicting just the figures you are talking about. Keystone has learned nothing about their OE tires in more than 10 years. And their OE supplier here is GY with tires rated at 3420# that just barely meet the vehicle’s GAWR. BUYERS BEWARE!!!

Keystone Placarding

FastEagle

I believe Tireco or Tredit are in the middle between Goodyear and Keystone with both Goodyear and Keystone turning a bind eye to the issues. Carriage was not much better with rebranded Duro tires at 3520 on 7K axles.

60 Minutes should do a feature on it. Chris

My Rig
2001.5 2500 STD CAB AUTO SLT 4x4, CTD 4:10's, Bomb'd to Tow
2005 Cardinal 29WBLX.

sh410

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 05:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FastEagle wrote:

FastEagle wrote:

Chris wrote:

Keystone Placarding

FastEagle

FE
If this placard is off of a Keystone 5th wheel, And the GVWR of 15,500# then 20% (est) of the GVWR is on the hitch pin. That would leave 12400 of GVWR on the Tires. The tires total 13680, represent 10% margin over the expected GVWR that is carried by the tires.

Have I computed this correctly?

Chris

Shelter Bay, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 05:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sh410 wrote:

FastEagle wrote:

FastEagle wrote:

Chris wrote:

Keystone Placarding

FastEagle

FE
If this placard is off of a Keystone 5th wheel, And the GVWR of 15,500# then 20% (est) of the GVWR is on the hitch pin. That would leave 12400 of GVWR on the Tires. The tires total 13680, represent 10% margin over the expected GVWR that is carried by the tires.

Combined GAWR is 13500 and tires add up to 13680. Not much leway there. Chris

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 06:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

Sorry if this is redundant...Can/will you post a link to the regs you snip from above?

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_10/49cfr571_10.html

These are the 49 CFR 571 FMVSS regs that all vehicle manufacurers are required to follow. Click on 571.110 for tire and rim selection for vehicles under 10000 lbs and go to para S4.2.2.2 .

For vehicles over 10000 lbs click on 571.120 and go to para S5.1.2 which says the same thing.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Francesca Knowles wrote:

Sorry if this is redundant...Can/will you post a link to the regs you snip from above?

http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_10/49cfr571_10.html

These are the 49 CFR 571 FMVSS regs that all vehicle manufacurers are required to follow. Click on 571.110 for tire and rim selection for vehicles under 10000 lbs and go to para S4.2.2.2 .

For vehicles over 10000 lbs click on 571.120 and go to para S5.1.2 which says the same thing.

Bookmark added....

Thanks a lot- That's a great resource for the ol' toolbox!

FastEagle

Taylors, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 07:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sh410 wrote:

FastEagle wrote:

FastEagle wrote:

Chris wrote:

Keystone Placarding

FastEagle

FE

GTW is what a trailer is supposed to weigh when delivered to the new owner. The CCC placard will list the maximum amount of cargo that can be added to the GTW. When added together those two cannot be more than the vehicle’s GVWR. At that point the only way to find the pin weight is to weigh it. Once the pin weight is deducted from the GTW the remainder - GAW - is what’s being carried by the axles. That weight cannot be more than the GAWR. OE tires must have a total load capacity equal to or greater than GAWR.

Here is a reference with easy to use sheets to assist in weighing your trailer.

How to weigh your RV trailer

FastEagle

CapriRacer

Somewhere in the US

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 06:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the interest of rapping this thread up, I have put my thoughts on my web site.

ST Tires

It includes a spreadsheet to aid in upsizing ST tires.

Look it over and let me know what you think.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 95  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Revived Trailer Tire Thread (formerly on the 5th Wheel Forum
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: