|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Jayco X19 Considering

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
tbrown53

Kansas City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 05:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I have camped for 11 years with a Coleman PUP and are now considering an X19. I'd love to hear what the forum thinks of this trailer. We thought of the 17, but the tandem axle and the added storage of the 19 seemed a better bet to us. Also, we are wondering do you really need the larger AC? Is the full oven really a plus (all 4"), what about the larger fridge. What options should we consider? For the most part it will just be the two of us since our sons are in college now. We'll be towing with an 2001 F150 supercrew, which with this unit should be more than enough - do we really need an equalizer hitch with this unit? Please weigh in and give us your thoughts. PS we do often dry camp in the mountains.

mdcamping

Willington, CT

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 07:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just my opinion but with a half ton truck I would get a equalizer hitch.
As far as the oven for us we usually cook outside, never seen a need for one. Not sure what you mean by size options concerning the refridge & A/C but In the long run I think you wouldn't regret having the A/C & large refrigerator.

Mike

2007 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab 4x4 Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Control Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors

States we've camped in so far...

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the "19" floorplan is pretty much the same, no matter what brand it is.

Jayco definitely is one of the top hybrid manufacturers.
try pricing a Roo 19 and a Jayco 19 from RVDirect. they have pickup available close to you.
get prices on both and use those prices to shop locally.

you really can't go wrong with either brand.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

tbrown53

Kansas City

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 08:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was thinking the oven and larger fridge (2 door - 6 cuf) more for resale purposes. As far as the Roo - when I went to the RV show in KC only the Jayco dealer brought a HTT and PUPs. The Forest River dealer didn't bother and based on a Coleman repair at his shop I don't see him as a viable repair facility so I think that sorta rules out that brand in this location. I have thought of purchasing through one of the volume dealers, there's one in Cinn and one in Indiana - is that a good idea?

SooperDaddy

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 10:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The following options you should order...because they are reasonably priced, and you'll kick yourself in the asp if you don't...do not ask me how I know this!

7 Jayco's worth of experience until I finally learned I guess!

1) The 6 cu.ft. refrigerator (plenty of room for week or so when away from the grocery store.)

2) 6-gal. gas/electric water heater (you don't have to use your propane when you have electric hookups.)

3) Customer Value Package Customer Value Package with 15,000 BTU A/C (On hot days you'll thank me!)

We've rarely used the oven by the way. And the storage you get from deleating the oven helps!

4) And the Electric Tongue Jack. ( A back saving feature that pays for itself!)

Keep us posted...and Jayco is a terrific choice!

My posts shouldn't be taken for factual data, and are purely fictional, for entertainment purposes, should not be constituted as related to scientific, technical, engineering, legal, religious, spiritual, or practical advice. After all it's FREE! Amen.

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 11:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use our oven lots, so I wouldn't discount having one. For sure get a weight distribution system (I liked the equalizer). If you dry camp, then skip the batteries the dealer will throw in and go for good twin 12v deep cycle, or twin 6v golf cart style batt's. I am a pretty big fan of Jayco, and like their products.

Daryll

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
Prodigy BC Reese 16K slider
2009 Colorado 29BHS
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Chuck_S

Broadview Hts, OH, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 07:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We rarely use our oven. Handy the few times we do and our camper has plenty of other cabinet space so there's barely a trade off.

Go with the larger, two door refrigerator if possible. Separate freezer compartment works better than one large compartment in our experience and you're only dumping a portion rather than all the cold air when you open the main door.

You're gonna need a weight distribution hitch with just about any tow vehicle and certainly need sway control. Equalizer (brand) WDH does this all in a simple device.

Pretty sure gas/electric water heaters are universal these days. Electric water heat is "free" at most campsites but is slow recovery and sucks 40% of the AC power available so direct spark ignition (DSI) for the LP portion is very handy.

The brand a dealer sells doesn't limit his repair and service facilities. The local Jayco dealer services my Roo every spring and is happy to have the business. He even did the Dometic refrigerator recall a couple of springs ago without blinking. Unless you nitpick everything loose screw in the camper there is probably no real warranty service going to be needed with either Jayco or Forest River either.

The "large volume dealers" in Cincinnati OH and Richmond IN aren't noted for good prices or customer service. For Forest River products look at RVWholesalers in Lakeview OH. Won't hurt to check their prices on a Roo 19.

-- Chuck

'06 Roo 23SS behind '07 Expedition out of Cleveland
Our Photo pages

exp19h

Palmyra NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Jayco 19 and I've only used the stove once, but it's nice to know it there if you need on. The larger refrigerator is nice because you have a seperate freezer and not one built into the refrigerator. As far as towing, I tow with a Chevy Avalanhe without a weight distribution hitch with no promblem at all. Good luck.

HTT to be?

Southern Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 11:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Larger fridge is well worth it. Oven I would see as a plus since you dry camp often. We use ours all the time, uses very little propane and no battery, and is great when you get caught in nasty weather and don't want to cook outside. Equalizer would be a good idea. As for the AC, we rarely ( I think twice? ) use ours, but I guess that would depend on where you camp. I would GUESS the regular size unit would work, but maybe someone else can chime in on that.
As for Jayco, we love ours! There is an RVDirect in Iowa which would be your closest option. Get their price and see if your local guy will work a deal. Nice to buy local, but some of these guys prices are just way off.
Good idea from Daryll to get a better battery setup.

2007 Jayco 23B
2009 E350 Ford Club Wagon 5.4 w/ tow pkg
Equalizer hitch, Prodigy P3 brake controller
Buddy 125 Scooter-FUN!
1997 Coleman Sunridge- Served us well for 11 years!

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 12:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no need for a bigger a/c, the 13.5 is fine.
since we dry camp most of the time also, an oven is a good thing to have.
get the bigger fridge/freezer, especially for dry camping.
i also own a Avalanche and though my 23SS is bigger than the 19, there's no way i would tow a trailer of that size without a WDH.
check your Ford's owner's manual. should have a tongue weight that you have to use a WDH.
and don't believe the Jayco's "dry" tongue weight. actual hitch weight is usually at least another 33% or more above that.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Jayco X19 Considering
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS