|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Food Planning for a month

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
eddeeeee

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we took a 3 week trip we did the same thing we do at home. We make large batches of chili, spaghetti, chicken durango, chop suey, beef and mushrooms, lasagne, and pulled pork. We put it in ziplock bags and freeze. On the trip, we took about 15 bags, we also took several pre-seasoned burgers, chicken thighs, steak, lamb and hotdogs in a marinade and froze them. Along the way, we bought pasta, bread, veggies, salads, fruits so supplement the sauce or meat dish. The biggest problem to cooking from scratch in the trailer is you don't carry nearly the amount of spices and utensils that are available at home. By pre-making the main course, you don't have to worry about that. We never had a problem putting that amount of frozen food in the freezer. Now, some people eat more than our family and some people have all the same spices and utensils as their home, so cooking from scratch daily with fresh food might be just as easy as at home. Pre-made like we do keeps the cooking time and mess to a minimum so we can eat and enjoy the sights. We also planned that we would eat out a couple of times because there is always a neat place you want to stop and now you 'have to' because you are a couple meals short.

awoodwaring

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 01:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow...lots of good advice! I was thinking fruits would be a every couple of days thing, but I wasn't sure if we would pass many fruit stands or if we would have to go into a store. In California, we have all sorts of fresh fruit stands with outstanding fruit and veggies in the summer.

What is the south like (Az, Tx, Missippi, LA)? How about the middle-ish states? We will be going through S Carolina, Georgia (they have to have peaches, right??), Tenn, Miss, NE, and I have seen Utah...not a lot whole lot past Salt Lake City!!

We do have a microwave and we will bring a cooler for drinks. I had hoped to pre-make a bunch of stuff for simplicity's sake. We are going to be at Disney World for 9 days and I don't want to spend every morning/night cooking. Some easy grilling (ribs, steaks, hamburgers, chicken, etc...), some cold cereal, and pre-made meals that can either be stuck in the oven, microwave or crockpot will greatly simplify our vacation and make it more like a vacation.

Has anyone ever tried to rig up a second freezer? I guess it wouldn't kill us to buy meat at the local markets. I just get used to Costco pricing.

wrenchbender

Phx

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 03:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For long trips I only carry 3days worth of pericibles.No matter where I have gone there has always been a grocery store.Only store what you can afford to loose.

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 01:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

awoodwaring wrote:

Has anyone ever tried to rig up a second freezer? I guess it wouldn't kill us to buy meat at the local markets. I just get used to Costco pricing.

Nope, but there are Costcos almost everywhere. WalMart has similar pricing and look in the markdown sections of the meat chillers at the grocery stores. We've gotten some real bargains at large grocery stores like Kroger and Publix. We buy the markdown meat and either cook it that day or freeze it. We've never been disappointed.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

traydon

West Winfield NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 02:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those of you that are curious and not from NY here is a great recipe for Chicken Riggies
1 PKG of Parma Rosa Sauce by knorr
8 oz. Mancini peppers in tangy sauce
1 lb. chicken cubed
1/2 chopped onion
1 pt. heavy cream
1 15 oz. can of tomatoe sauce
1 ib. rigatoni
hot cherry peppers to taste
heat olive oil in a pan cook chicken and onions until done
add jar of peppers,tomatoe sauce and hot peppers and the parma rosa sauce mix. add heavy cream and stir good and then add cooked pasta
sauce will thicken as it sits and flavor will also get better as it sits

2008 Ford F-250 CC V-10
2007 Chevy Tahoe
2011 Keystone Cougar 31 SQB
2013 Polaris Ranger CC

ROBERTSUNRUS

Lakewood, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 09:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, as to the second freezer, which I have never done, maybe you could use an ice chest and Dry Ice.

Bob
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you are posting this in the Travel Trailer area, I am assuming you have a travel trailer...how are you on your weight of the trailer loaded compared to the capacity of your tow vehicle? A months worth of food can add some additional weight. Especially if you are buying bottled and canned stuff for a month for 4 people. Of course it will lighten up as you as go.

If we go somewhere close just for the weekend, we normally buy everything we need. But if we go for a week, then we may purchase a few things ahead, but normally wait till we get to our destination and contribute to their economy. A lot of places depend on tourists. We try to buy most of the groceries for up to two weeks at home, but of course have to revisit a grocery store a few times in between to pick up something we ran out of or forgot. We make up a menu for each day, but there are times that we don't want something that day or there is something different we are wanting that we don't have and we either go to the grocery store or out to eat to get it. I couldn't imagine trying to do it for an entire month.

Also, you said you are going from California to Florida. Are you planning going up the east coast to SC? I can see you hitting Georgia possibly, but SC wouldn't be a direct route. As far as peaches go, it depends on when you are going. The season is normally June - early September.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

facory

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Staple items like milk, bread, water, canned goods, etc. are usually bought on the road as needed. Items you plan ahead for are the main meal items that can be refrigerated or frozen. We usually make a couple trips a week to the local market. Also good for the local business community.

2008 Cruiser RV Fun FinderXtra
Ford F150 Lariat 4x4 SuperCrew 5.4L 6.5' Bed 150" WB 3.73
Schwinn Mountain Bike

facory

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We make our major meals at home and pack them up for travel. We've been using a Food Saver vacuum machine for years. Actually, we've had meals that were prepared and frozen up to a year ago and it tasted fresh. As stated before, it's amazing how much the refrig/freezer will hold. Of course, we always leave a shelf open for the beer. ;-)

awoodwaring

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

Since you are posting this in the Travel Trailer area, I am assuming you have a travel trailer...how are you on your weight of the trailer loaded compared to the capacity of your tow vehicle? A months worth of food can add some additional weight. Especially if you are buying bottled and canned stuff for a month for 4 people. Of course it will lighten up as you as go.

If we go somewhere close just for the weekend, we normally buy everything we need. But if we go for a week, then we may purchase a few things ahead, but normally wait till we get to our destination and contribute to their economy. A lot of places depend on tourists. We try to buy most of the groceries for up to two weeks at home, but of course have to revisit a grocery store a few times in between to pick up something we ran out of or forgot. We make up a menu for each day, but there are times that we don't want something that day or there is something different we are wanting that we don't have and we either go to the grocery store or out to eat to get it. I couldn't imagine trying to do it for an entire month.

Also, you said you are going from California to Florida. Are you planning going up the east coast to SC? I can see you hitting Georgia possibly, but SC wouldn't be a direct route. As far as peaches go, it depends on when you are going. The season is normally June - early September.

We are taking a little bit of an indirect route heading home; we are heading east before going west. We plan on driving up the Atlantic Coast to Hunting Island, South Carolina and then going west to Georgia and homeward bound.

We do have a light travel trailer, but we also have a lighter tow capacity vehicle. I will make sure to confer with hubby our exact capacities before loading down the trailer. It is sounding more and more like we'll be shopping on the go. I did not want to do that originally, but I am beginning to see the positives. I asked on the food forum for good, local food stuff that we might not get in CA to make the shopping aspect more appealing.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Food Planning for a month
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS