|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Need help with route to Alaska

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
brinasmemaw

southern Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 09:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been to Alaska numerous times but are thinking about taking a different route this year. We always go up to Montana & cross the border at Coutts, but are considering going up via Saskatchewan, crossing at North Portal. There is no particular reason for the change in route other than seeing new scenery. Any pros or cons to this route would be appreciated. Thanks for your input.

Mac & Becky
Seeing North America one mile at a time
2006 42' Allegro Bus towing a 2011 Cadillac SRX
2011 F350 6.7L Crew Cab FX4 & 2005 Holiday Rambler Alumascape for Alaska trips

romore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 09:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just more bald prairie You could visit Cypress Hills Provincial Park, a real gem, then spend a few days around Drumheller, the Tyrell museum is something to see.

MARKW8

Akron OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/07/12 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 07 we went up into western Manitoba and took the Yellowhead Rt. 16 I think. Definnatly lots of prairie. We stopped at whatever looked interesting.

Mark

lonnie4801

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 11:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I highly recommend the trip through Saskatoon. If you do go that way I would recommend going through Moose Jaw and tour the tunnels that are under the streets in the center of town. There are 2 sets - one was used by Al Copone to bottle the booze he shipped to the US and the other was used to house the Chinese while the railroad was being built.

Then you could go through Edmonton, Alberta and stop off at the West Edmonton Mall. In 2005 it was billed as the largest mall in the world - don't know how it compares now. It is a vacation destination for people because of the amusement park, submarine, and swimming pool with multiple slides that are located inside the mall. Well worth the trip.

Our Travels Lonnie and Sue
2007 HR Ambassador 40'
2008 Colorado Z71 4x4 Crew Cab
West Texas, Retired

Fulltimers. No more grass to cut, no more leaves to rake, and can move if we don't like our neighbors.

States we spent time in, drive throughs not marked.

trigley

Central Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/12 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You would have the choice of Highway 1 to Calgary or going north to Saskatoon then 16 (Yellowhead) to Edmonton.
Highway 1 is definitely prairie but as stated does offer the choice of sidetrips to the Cypress Hills & or Drumheller with its Royal Tyrell Museum & badlands.
Highway 16 is still Prairie but with a little more relief. Saskatoon is a nice city and if you are into old equipment museums this one could be interesting.
Closer to Edmonton there is the Ukranian Cultural Village
Do you have any specific interests?

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 04:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you have been up through Coutts a couple of times, you may want to consider going on farther west to Missoula Montana and head north. This would have you crossing at Roosville, a nice small border crossing. Lots of great scenery on this way, puts you on the west side of the major mountains. Radium Hot Springs is a fun visit, as in Kootenay NP close to town. Last summer we stayed at the Red Streak Campground in the NP and were pleased with it. Then either go east toward Banff NP and on north up the Ice fields parkway. I prefer to go north, out of Radium HS to Golden and cut east through Yoho NP, spending a day or two at Kicking Horse CG just outside the town of Field BC.
Nothing wrong with the prairie provinces, but for an Okie, it would be a lot like driving to Hydro Oklahoma and looking at miles of wheat. It is fun to stop my car, in that country and get out, realizing I am the tallest thing in 40 miles, except for the grain silo in the far distance. LOL The Tyrell Dino museum gets another vote as a "must" stop. Our last half day stop there turned into a 3 day visit.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 06:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The prairies in the US look better than the ones in Canada when you factor in the price difference for fuel.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

Hjudge49

St. Augustine, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 01:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Joe, what's the road like from Missoula to roosville?

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 02:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bob, it was good the last time we went that way in 2009. Previous time, 2006, it was a construction mess. Hwy 93 is a two lane road and during the week, I have never seen much traffic on it, weekends can get a bit busy with folks heading up to the lakes for the weekend. We have stayed at the KOA up between Kalispell and Whitefish, real nice place. Last summer we stayed at the Spruce Campground on the River, in kalispell, then went on west into Idaho before crossing the border at Kingsgate. We wanted to run up the interior of BC which we had never done and ride as many of the BC ferry boats as we could find. Beautiful way to go as well. Normally I don't go that far west on the way up, but return by the way of Bellingham Washington but down the Fraser Valley.
We were trying to see how many of the hot springs as well in BC.

Sinterior

Kamloops BC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Once in Western Alberta (if you go that way) I highly recommend The Icefields Parkway Between Banff and Jasper, one of the most scenic drives in the world.
You get to walk or ride a modified bus on a real glacier at the interpretive centre. Do not refuel at Saskatchewan River Crossing!

Once in Jasper you have the choice of going East on Hwy 16, aka The Yellowhead, to Hwy 43 and North through Grande Prairie to Dawson Creek, or West on Hwy 16 to Prince George to Hwy 97 North to Dawson Creek.

Pete
Terry

2011 Chev 3500HD 4X4 C/C S/B D/A SRW
2011 Montana 3665RE
150 watt solar, 4 6v golf cart batteries, 1750 watt inverter
Hijacker 21k Ultra slide double pivot hitch
Pressure Pro TPMS
Garmin dezl 560LMT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska