RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How many miles would you travel in 1 day?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> How many miles would you travel in 1 day?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
shenandoahvalley

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 05:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 50 miles covered per hour is a pretty good rule of thumb. As I am 64 and don't have the driving stamina I had thirty years ago I find that less is better when driving. I did 950 miles in two days last spring and it was pretty tiring and I was alone. With kids and the wife along you will need more stops. The best advice is to take four or five days each way and every one will have a better trip.

2chiefsRus

USA Somewhere

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 06:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AC09 wrote:

I need to go to a class in Alabama which is about 1700 miles from where I live. Thinking about towing the 5r and taking the wife and kids. My wife won't drive the truck with the trailer in tow so that would leave all the driving to me...I know this is probably a bad idea being the Newbie I am but I am just wondering what a conservative estimate of expected mileage would be to project how many days it would take us to get there? Also suggestions for overnight stays? Walmart??

Thanks in advance for any info

For me it would depend upon how long the class is, how much time travel time you have available to you. What I mean by that is say your class is only three days and you have a week to get there, you would have the time to enjoy the trip. If the class is 2 weeks, then you would have some time to enjoy the destination.

We typically enjoy our travel days more if we limit it to 300-350 miles. IF we are going to travel 400-450 miles in a day, then we either stay at a WalMart or a some other type of quick on/off site.

Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2003 Odyssey
Fulltime since October 2007
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog

PattieAM

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 06:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I've read in various forums, 300 miles a day is about the limit that most are comfortable driving. I go solo, so distance is not an issue for me, but I will say I prefer no more than 5 hours drive time so I have set up time unless I'm moteling it during the trip.

JRS & B

Florida/Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do not say how long the class is, how many children you have or what their ages are.

But with a fiver, and the children (must be more than one)in the backseat most of the day, I would say it is a bad idea.

I agree with the those that say 400 to 450 miles per day is plenty. So you are looking at 4 days on the road each way, for a total of 8 days. If the class is only a week long seminar type class this really is a bad idea from the get go.

When your employer is paying your travel expenses, taking your spouse along, or in this case your whole family, is tempting because the trip is being partially subsidized.

But my experience is that it isn't worth the bother, especially since it is a "class" and not a conference or convention where you are not expected to do much but show up.

Don't do it.

ricklord2001

Green Cove Spr, Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 06:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive from Atlanta to Las Vegas once a year with two dogs, lots of stops and rest times. On the last trip I did a trip plan based on 350 mi per day. I found that was to short for me. I am an early riser so I'd be on the road by 7:30am and couldn't see stopping when I still felt good and what would I do during my stop except set there. I did stay stay at Walmarts and Cracker Barrels. Even would go in to Cracker Barrel to eat when I stayed there. I averaged about 500 mi a day comfortably without driving when it was dark and making quite a few rest stops. Never really traveled that distance with children but I'm sure that's a big factor in the equation.

PhilR.

Central Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 07:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seattle Steve wrote:

I also disagree with the state parks suggestion. They are normally located a lot further off the Interstate and will add wasted time. Look for private CGs as close to the freeway as possible.

Evidently you have never been to Texas, where there are state parks less than five miles off the interstates. Balmorrhea, Travis, and Tyler S.P.'s are some examples of state parks in TX that are but minutes off of an interstate highway.

Also, if someone wants to have fun during the journey, then looking at parks that are a bit aways from the interstate might be just fine for them. They will be the ones to decide how much time to devote to their daily fun/sightsee activities. Or to put it another way that might make more sense to you -- they don't have to use parks that are far from the path that you estimate they will take.......

AC09

Yuma

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. Just to give everyone a little more info the class I need to take is 5 days long and because of the way me leave is scheduled we would have 6-8 days to get ther and about 7 1/2 to get back. I have a 1 year old daughter and an 11 year old son that would be along for the ride. We have DVD players for them in the truck to keep them entertained and of course we would stop frequently.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 7 and 4 year old, and do 7 and 800 mile trips each summer. We will usually do one LONG (8 hrs) day of travel, then a short (3-4 hrs) one. The short one is always at a nice park with a pool, playground, and other kid-friendly activities and where I can cook our meals since we don't really like fast food. The short drive day in between allows us to see the sights, gives the kids time to relax and have a good time.

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think only you can answer the question on how far you feel comfortable driving in a day. Some days I get up and after a couple of hundred miles I am tired and stop for the day. Other days I don't feel tired or enjoy the drive and drive for 10 hours before stopping.

I think the most important thing is don't push it. If you are tired stop. When you are trying to drive a certain number of miles or hours each day and you are tired that is when accidents occur. Don't risk it.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 08:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

No way! That's a 12 hour day driving a car, about 16 or more
towing a 5er.
Since you have about a week on either side of your class I would suggest maybe 300 or so a day. If you push too many miles you will be beat by the time you get to the class. If you can work it, it would be nice if you could drive for a couple of days, then take a day off and do some sightseeing, a little R&R. 4-5 days of straight driving gets old for everyone.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> How many miles would you travel in 1 day?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS