|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Introduction and some ideas on extra water storage

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
dmaxpuller

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First time post. Have been reading this thread for awhile. A lot of great ideas and fixes. Thanks to all. Have had camper for quite awhile but am starting to upgrade it. Using quite a few of the suggestions on here.

Now for my idea. I have looked and not found anything on this. Carrying water (extra) is a pain in the 5 gallon containers. Was thinking on how to carry more. Talked with a company that makes external fuel tanks about making a tank that would go behind the front seats and sit on the floor in the back, ( the truck is an extended cab). It would be made out of stainless steel. Have a pump to transfer to camper. Putting tie downs on it to carry ice chests. Quoted around $700-800. Pricey for sure.

Not sure how many gallons it would be. Have not had the truck to the shop and got measurements, etc.

Anybody done this, good idea, bad? I like the idea that the weight is in the middle of the truck.
Thanks
Jerry

2013 AF 996
05 Chevy 2500HD Duramax (not really stock)
73 FJ40 Landcruiser
72 Honda Trail 70
05 Kawasaki 700 quad

heftyhauler

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your idea will work fine. I use the same idea for our 5th wheel but the tank is in the bed of the truck. Check out www.ronco-plastics.com for your tank. I used their marine grade tank. Many shapes, sizes, and capacities are available.

Good luck
John

sabconsulting

High Wycombe, UK

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using the space in the back of the cab sounds like a good idea - we use that for storage. On my camper the weight distribution is a bit too far back, so any weight I can put in the cab instead of the camper is a good thing.

I'm always reluctant to do things that are permanent, so I would probably have a tank I could easily unclip and lift out if I wanted to carry something else back there (like passengers).

Another thing to consider is the weight of the water - 1 litre = 1kg - so worth calculating how much it will weight full before spending all that money.

If it is going to be a big tank I wonder if it should have baffles inside to prevent the water sloshing around too much - the noise of the water sloshing around might get annoying and you'd have to be careful about the weight of that water sliding around causing the water tank to move unless it is very securely fastened down.

Steve.

'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'92 Suzuki Samurai 4x4 1.6
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2
'10 Citroen DS3 1.6 turbo

dmaxpuller

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 12:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks John. Are these strong enough to hold a ice cooler on top? If so, this might be the way to go. Trying to get the coolers out of the camper so we don't have to walk around them and keep moving them in and out of the camper. Getting old and lazy type of thing.

MIght give them a call and see what they have to say.

Thanks again
Jerry

bobndot

NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/23740886/print/true.cfm

Personally i would try to conserve what water i have, rather than spend 700.00 on a custom tank. I use bottled water for my drinking and cooking needs, i carry that in two or three 7 gal. jugs. The water in my tc tanks is for washing only. I fill it from springs using my empty cooler and a pre-wired marine bilge pump with hoses and alligator clamps for the battery hook up.
I can refil that water tank with collected rain water if need be. Most businesses,F.D. and P.D.'s that have an outside spigot will let you take some water. I also carry a water thief that screws onto any sink, like a bathroom sink in a service station. I have never been turned down when asking for some water.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 01:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's what I did:

Project #15 - 30gal Auxiliary Water Tank

(Click Image to view enlarged)

That's an old Food flavoring barrel, originally was used to store peach syrup.

Got it from a recycler that steam cleans them and then sells them for $25 apiece.

Holds 30 gallons of Fresh water, I use an inexpensive Livewell pump that I got at Walmart to transfer the water from the barrel to the camper.

No lugging of water required at all.

You could get two 50 gallon drums and plumb them together and build a cradle to mount them behind the front seats if there's room.

Personally, I haul it all outside cause there's no chance of overfill getting all over anything that would worry me.

For the record, water in US figures is 1 gal = 8.5lbs

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

dmaxpuller

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 02:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually only use the water in the TC for washing/showers/toilet. Usually bring a couple of 5 gallon containers for washing outside, that sort of stuff. Bottled water and adult beverages are the norm. Just looking for more water when we are off the grid. Showers always feel good after a long day on the trail, etc.

And I agree, if I go with behind the seat, it will be removable. And will have baffles. I checked out that link for the AguaTanks, that might also be a option.

Thanks for the replies.

Jerry

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used plastic tanks for lab that I worked at and you could stand on them. I think the company that we got them from made them for agricultural applications but had hundreds of designs and sizes and all were food grade. Walls were 1/4 inch thick and easy to drill through so you could do what you wanted with them.

Only thing that I would be careful of is more weight.

2002 GMC 2500HD 4x4 4 Door
1992 Northern Lite 9'- 6" Camper with cargo trailer for hauling supplies
Advanced Elements Kayaks
Border Collie Guard Dog

Paterson Photography Web Site

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dmaxpuller wrote:

We usually only use the water in the TC for washing/showers/toilet. Usually bring a couple of 5 gallon containers for washing outside, that sort of stuff. Bottled water and adult beverages are the norm. Just looking for more water when we are off the grid. Showers always feel good after a long day on the trail, etc.

And I agree, if I go with behind the seat, it will be removable. And will have baffles. I checked out that link for the AguaTanks, that might also be a option.

Thanks for the replies.

Jerry

Baffles are only really needed if you travel with the tanks partially full. If you travel with them either completely full or completely empty, water shift is not an issue.

dmaxpuller

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 05:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Photomike wrote:

Only thing that I would be careful of is more weight.

That part is alway on my mind, but with it sorta in the middle of the truck, I can live with it. Plus, it wont be full on the way home.

Jerry

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Introduction and some ideas on extra water storage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS