|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Charging Car Battery with Honda eu1000i

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 04:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mitch5252 wrote:

Now here's a dumb question for you - I shouldn't run the "real" battery charger with the generator to charge the trailer battery, right?
Yes you should. How else are going to charge the battery?

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

mitch5252

NW Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mena661 wrote:

mitch5252 wrote:

Now here's a dumb question for you - I shouldn't run the "real" battery charger with the generator to charge the trailer battery, right?
Yes you should. How else are going to charge the battery?

By plugging the trailer electric cord directly into the generator? That's what I was thinking anyway...

2015 Fun Finder 189FDS
2013 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab SV 4x4

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 05:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I read the post, the OP wants to charge the CAR battery, not the trailer battery. Start the Genny and after it runs a minute or so, plug your battery charger directly into the genny and hook the charger up to the car charge away.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 04:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Plug the generator into the trailer. You already have a great battery charger there.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
The Other Dallas

mitch5252

NW Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

othertonka wrote:

As I read the post, the OP wants to charge the CAR battery, not the trailer battery. Start the Genny and after it runs a minute or so, plug your battery charger directly into the genny and hook the charger up to the car charge away.

Would I have to run the generator for 18 hours as a previous poster said?

Using the eu1000i, would I be able to charge THE CAR BATTERY with the "real" battery charger on 12A for a while and them ramp it up to the 75A setting to start the car?

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 05:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like stated above by a couple of users here go buy a B&D VEC1093DBD 40AMP Battery charger. This being a "SMART MODE" portable charger it will re-charge the truck battery back in as few as 2-3 hours of run time. It should re-charge it enough to get your truck started in 30 minutes or so.

You need to carry one of these with you anyway as part of your PLAN B to get always get you back home when you need to... i.e. if your converter in your trailer konks out on you the trailer batteries can get re-charged with one these B&D portable chargers as well by running it from the generator...

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

dclark1946

Richardson,TX,USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 08:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jauguston wrote:

A Honda EU 1000i will power a 40a RV converter. It will not power a 45a converter. I have one and know. If you are going to use the Honda 12v charge wires you will get about 8 amps. The Econo mode has to be off for the charge cables to work.

Jim

Sure you can run a 45A converter with an EU1000i. I do it every year dry camping in the Smokies. You just don't run your battery down so low that the converter has to put out max current. I run our generator every morning for a few hours and peak current for a single Gr 27 Trojan SCS 200 battery rarely exceeds 10A on initial power up. You could have two 12V batteries and that would only be 20A max on initial power up. I let it run until the charging current drops to 3A or less.

I have a couple of EU2000s also but they stay at home when we are dry camping in favor of the easy on the back EU1000.

Dick

Dick & Karen
Richardson,TX
2007 KZ Spree 240RBS
03 Tahoe/09 F250 V10

jauguston

Bellingham, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Honda EU 1000i will power a 40a RV converter. It will not power a 45a converter. I have one and know. If you are going to use the Honda 12v charge wires you will get about 8 amps. The Econo mode has to be off for the charge cables to work.

Jim

2005 Coachman Sportscoach Elite 402 40'
350hp Cat C-7 w/MP-8
7500w Onan quiet diesel generator
6-Kyocera 130w solar panels SB3024i MPPT controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
1987 Suzuki Samurai tintop Toad w/VW 1.6 turbo diesel power

mitch5252

NW Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think 75 amps on the "real" charger would ride the upper running limit of the generator...? ? (75A x 12V = 900W?)

But I know nothing for certain; certainly not a lot of math.

nitrohorse

pa

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mitch5252 wrote:

othertonka wrote:

Would I have to run the generator for 18 hours as a previous poster said?

Using the eu1000i, would I be able to charge THE CAR BATTERY with the "real" battery charger on 12A for a while and them ramp it up to the 75A setting to start the car?

Mitch,
You have two options as I see it. You can start the genny, let it warm up, plug the real battery charger into the genny, and then hook up the charger cables to the battery (+ to +) and (- to -). Start the charger, switch it to the 75a mode (start boost) and start the car. The car's charging system will charge the battery much quicker than the 12a from the charger.

Or you can hook up the battery charger as listed above and charge the battery using the 12a function. The only issue I see with the 75a boost option is that your 1000 w gennie may not handle the 75a boost amp draw.

Maybe someone on here can answer the question if the 1000w Honda can power the 75a boost function.

Hope this helps....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Charging Car Battery with Honda eu1000i
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS