RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: What are States known for?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> What are States known for?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
awoodwaring

California

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 05:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I posted a question about bulk shopping for a month and the consensus was to shop locally every 3-4 days. So, I figured I would make the best of it and buy the best local foods there are to offer.

So, who has great food and what is it???

Specs:
*1 month trip in the heat of the summer (gotta love teacher schedules!)
*going through the south (Texas, Az, Miss, LA, FL) from CA to FL
*coming back through the middle (S Ca, Ga, Tn, Ne, Mo, Ut)

Georgia - peaches, right?
Texas - steak (I am totally going on stereotypes here...)

Input?? Thanks!!!

TheAmRheins

Elizabethtown IN USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 05:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Indiana - breaded pork tenderloin sandwich - where the tenderloin is the size of a dinner plate!

Ken & Kathy
Ruben(the cat)& Tiadora (nother cat)
2003 Chev 3500 D/A Dually
2009 Landmark Augusta

rv2go

Fulltime (Knoxville, TN).... or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't forget to have some grits with your sausage and eggs for breakfast as you travel thru the south.
As you travel thru southwest Louisiana be sure to have some boudin sausage.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
www.rv2go.us
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

sh410

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 06:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You find the same kinds of things that you buy in CA. In fact some of what you will buy will be from CA. You will find regional favorites from other states that you have in the stores in CA.

For example, the brand of flour you buy in CA may not be available in other part of the country. But they will have flour with a different label/producer.

Resturants can be different.

SKIPCAROL

COSBY,TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 06:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We tried this...got the list of Diners, Drives & Drive Ins off the internet and was gonna try these places but that didn't work out cause we are always off the beaten path and found very few and several had gone outta business by now. Now, whenever we go somewhere we Yahoo the local restaurants and try the ones voted the best...and living near Pigeon Forge, TN there are too many to choose from.

Carol, Skip & Buddy the Mutt

2005 Four Winds Hurricane 32R
2008 Chevy HHR Toad

DesertHawk

Las Cruces, New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 06:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you plan on going to TX by way of AZ, you will be crossing New Mexico as well. New Mexico would be noted for two foodstuffs, I would believe: Red/Green Chile & Pecans.

Yes, Texas also has pecans as do some of the southern states, but none are as tasty as those from New Mexico. AZ may be as good as well.

Taste of Red/Green Chile in Southern NM: Southern NM style Mexican Food is the best you will find anywhere. IMHO. Because of the use of red/green chile.
Las Cruces area NM Mexican Food plus camping and attractions in the area. At least try a Green Chile Cheese Burger. Video

Taste of NM Pecans: Stahmanns or Salopek

After reading a recent post of facebook from a cousin, I just found out that Bakersfield, CA is home to the largest collection of Basque restaurants in the United States. Never knew this. Wow. Might try one of them if passing by that area. Basque in Bakersfield

Most states will have steaks. Texas might also be know for Texas Chili or CHILI CON CARNE. Also Texas should be know for Bar B Que. Might try a few of them as you pass through Texas. Research to Find some good Texas Barbeque something like this place maybe Texas Pride Barbecue, which was featured on the Food Network. TX Pride ?? I can not recommend a place. We had some just off I-10 in Kerrville, but it was years ago. Not sure if it still good. The barbeque sauce is the key.

In 1895 Lyman T. Davis of Corsicana developed the original recipe for Wolf Brand Chili, which he sold for five cents a bowl from the back of a wagon parked on the streets in downtown Corsicana, Texas. He later opened a meat market in Corsicana where he sold his chili in brick form, using the brand name of Lyman's Famous Home Made Chili. In 1921, using the simplest machinery, he began canning his chili and marketing it in the immediate area. It was about that time that he adopted the brand name "Wolf Brand," in honor of his pet wolf, Kaiser Bill. By 1923, with improved equipment, Davis had increased production to 2,000 cans of chili per day. Because of the discovery of oil on his farm, he had neither the time nor the interest to devote to his chili business, and in 1924 he sold his operations to J. C. West and Fred Slauson, two Corsicana businessmen.

Better than Texas Chili, I would think Fajitas were 'invented' in Texas as well. You can try them in New Mexico of course as well as AZ & perhaps in CA. But for really good ones in El Paso (as well as San Antonio) try Taco Cabana just off I-10 on Mesa (west). (We eat at one in El Paso whenever we have to go there, see Mexican Nationals eating at it, must be good) Great Salsa, try some of each, very good eating.

Being a Native South Texan, Texas citrus is the best in the world, but a little out of the way on your trip. Texas Sea Food, shrimp & such, is so good if you happen to be by the Gulf Coast.

My wife & I are retired teachers, always enjoyed & looked forward to traveling in the summers, mainly in the west camping, but a couple of car trips to DC area.

Texas Buffalo Ranches

Getting local foods, we have at times lucked out by finding Farmer's Markets when traveling. NM Farmer's Markets --- TX FM

* This post was last edited 02/08/12 10:56pm by DesertHawk *   View edit history

DesertHawk - Las Cruces, NM USA
2005 16' Scamp Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailer
Side Dinette, Front Shower & Head
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart. -Confucius

tktplz

Lake Bistineau, Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 06:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in Louisiana I think of Fishing & Hunting, Collage Football, Craw-fish, Gumbo and Mardi Gras. "These are the things I think of as a native Louisianian.

"Confidence is the feeling you have before
you fully understand the situation"

1999 Toyota Tacoma Pre-Runner
TorkLift Tie Downs
2010 Travel Lite 690FD
1996 ZX11 Ninja
2000 ZRX1100
2008 Yamaha Zuma 50 Scooter
2010 "Blue" Bulldog, "Luna"

fla-gypsy

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In Florida be sure to get some genuine Gulf shrimp and/or some blackened Mahi, Oysters or any other local seafood for that matter. Seafood joints abound down here.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

rjf7g

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 07:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahhhh....another teacher! Welcome to the forum and thank you for your service!

2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

terrytrailertrash

Columbia, South Cackallacky

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/12 07:48pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually, SC peaches are as good if not better than Georgia's. We have quite a few roadside peach stands that have been featured in Southern Living Magazine. We also have good BBQ (the sauces vary greatly by the regions of the state) and good seafood. If you know your route, post it or pm me and I can be more specific. Happy and safe travels!

'06 Keystone Cougar Fiver
'03 Ford F250
DH, DD-11, DS-8, Chesapeake Bay Retriever, and Me (Mom)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> What are States known for?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS