RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Permanently wired shore power line?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Permanently wired shore power line?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 06:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're about to pull the trigger on a new Georgetown 351DS MH. The shore power cord on it is connected directly to the auto transfer box in the back, inside the rear storage.

There is no power inlet to attach the cord to on the outside, like I'm used to having on our present unit. You just have to run the cord out the storage bin door, and plug it up to shore power. I really, really do NOT like this, as it means you have to leave storage door open all the time when connected to shore power (which would be 90% of the time for us).

Is this common on Class A units? Seems like a really, really dumb way to do it, because I wouldn't think anybody would want to have to leave a storage bin door open and run a shore power line out through it. Seems thats just asking to let rain water as well as who knows what else into your storage bin.

I'm guessing the only good way to solve this is to install a (50 amp) power inlet, wire it to the transfer switch, then attach the appropriate connector onto the end of the shore power line? I'm thinking this is something I'm going to try and convince the RV dealer to do as part of the deal, as it seems it really should have been that way from the factory (right?)

I've seen a 50 amp power inlet that Marinco makes, but the ones I've seen are all white. That'd look awful tacky on a MH with full body paint, so I'm hoping a power inlet can be found thats black, or we can convince RV dealer to paint the outside of the inlet so it won't stick out so bad.

Has anyone solved this problem another way? Like maybe, punching a hole in bottom of storage bin, and drop the power line down through that when hooked up? You'd then have to have some way of closing up that hole, though, obviously, when on the road...

Anyway, any/all suggestions, experience, etc. on this subject would be welcome and appreciated.

Will & Angela
2 children that love camping, Stephen & Allison
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
Our Rig

rgatijnet1

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My power cord is hooked up this same way but I have a small cover(like the sewer cut out with a screw on cover) in the bottom of the compartment that can be removed to run the cord out the bottom. This allows me to lock the storage door. Have you looked to see if there is some other way to route the cord?

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a little "trap door" that opens up on the bottom of the utility bay. Electric cord and Water line run through that door. Close the door when not in use. But it is not a Georgetown!

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

bluwtr49

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While having the power cord attached is pretty common, not having an outlet hole may not be. Any chance there is room for a power retractor???

Persoanlly, I think I would make it an issue with the dealer to provide an access port at least. At best make them wire in a plug/recepticle plus an access port.

Dick

2000 40" DP Beaver Patriot Thunder Cat C-12 425 HP, 1550 Tq
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland ---toad

cpmath

New York

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should have a circular port on the floor of the electric bin. Mine does.

RRTom

California USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sometimes there is a cut-out on the bottom frame of the bin. You put the power cord in there and close the door. I had a friend who put one in himself. Not difficult.

Show me your Flamingo
Floyd's Mom and Dad
Tom and Lerinda
2005 Fleetwood Providence 39L
FMCA F340565
Rallies: 9 (so far)

Mike and Trish

Southern Delaware

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a 2008 Georgetown for 2 years, and I know I didn't have this problem. Can't recall the exact setup, but I believe there was either a screw-in port in the floor of the bay where the cord was, or a notch in the door frame as someone else suggested. Look carefully, and/or call your dealer or Forest River for more info.

FWIW, the Georgetown gave us great service. We only traded it in to take a great deal on a DP.

Good luck!

Mike and Trish
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2014 Honda CR-V on Blue Ox towbar
Yorkiepoos - Janis and Jimi

tderonne

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a fan of Winnebago's QuickPort setup.

They are in my sewer and electrical bays. Hard to really see in that image, it's a hinged door that opens up a U shaped slot for the hoses and cords.

Tim

2004 Winnebago Adventurer 31Y
Ford chassis

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 08:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, lots of replies, almost immediately. Thanks.

Very good point several made, about an access hole at the bottom of storage bin that power cord would go through. I honestly don't remember seeing one, but it is quite possible I overlooked it. I'll have to look a lot closer at the storage bin next time we're at the dealer.

..Anyone that owns a Georgetown model with the large, rear storage area, that might know for certain if there is an access hole or not?

If there is an access hole, that'd work, although I think I'd prefer the power inlet approach. Seems like for folks like us where unit would stay hooked up to shore power almost year round (we plan to keep it hooked up to shore power even when at home and its not in use), the access hole would be prone to leave too large a 'gap' around the cord, where creatures and other stuff could get into your storage.

Will

OnaQuest

Old enough to be a

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 08:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

willald wrote:

If there is an access hole, that'd work, although I think I'd prefer the power inlet approach. Seems like for folks like us where unit would stay hooked up to shore power almost year round (we plan to keep it hooked up to shore power even when at home and its not in use), the access hole would be prone to leave too large a 'gap' around the cord, where creatures and other stuff could get into your storage.

Will

Surely you could devise something to fill the space around the power cord once you've fed it through the hole in the floor.

Some advantages of this arrangement is that you only have to feed out as much cord as you need. The entire cord may not be needed, but will lay on the ground if attached outside.

A detachable cord can easily get stolen.

These 50amp cords are very heavy also. Why have a setup that requires the cord to be lifted out/in each time it's needed?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Permanently wired shore power line?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS