RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: SPAMalicious Recipes Wanted!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> SPAMalicious Recipes Wanted!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello!

If you've clicked on this thread, you're like me: SPAMLOVIN' !!!

I only treat myself to SPAM when camping, and I'm looking for other campers' TRIED AND TRUE favorite recipes.
NOTE:
I carry neither microwave nor regular oven, so please don't torment me with recipes involving their use...
Over the campfire or in the skillet is what I'm looking for.

I do have a dutch oven and Know How To Use It, so those recipes are A-O.K., too...

Thanks!

P.S.

No fair lecturing about presumed evils of this most delectable of Mystery Meats- That's my Mother's job, and she does it very well!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Acampingwewillgo

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 10:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you probably already know, Spam is a favorite staple in Hawaii! We're alot like you....camping/RV'ing seems to lend itself to be "spamaholics"....I certainly enjoy it mostly at breakfast with eggs/toast/hash browns..whatever. Ive been known to have Spam/cheese burritos.

96 Vogue Prima Vista 37' CAT 3176B
Our Babies: Mollie, Cassie and Maggie, all rescued King Charles Spaniels, Humphrie, the Mini Schnauzer
Rainbow Bridge: Laddie, Scoutie, Katie, Cooper, Kodie and our sweet Rubie RIP kids!

Rally's and get togethers.....Lots

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 11:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Friends saw the travel channel show on Hawaii and they had Spam sushi on it. So they made some. Got the nori sheets and everything. Actually it was damn good although the folks put way to much vinegar in the short grain rice.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 12:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I introduced my DW to Spam awhile ago but it wasn't until the DGKs were around that she really got to liking it, now we keep a couple of cans in the pantry for when the DGKs spend the night and for camping. We usually just fry or grill it but my favorite way requires an oven so I can't help you much. We like to get take away from L&L Hawaiian BBQ (the Mc Donalds of Hawaii) and often order Spam Saimin. I might add that one of the most popular destinations for RVers is as nuts about Spam as Hawaii. Hawaii and Alaska have the highest per capita consumtion of Spam of all 50 states.

I don't think there are any L&Ls in any states besides Hawaii and California so if your'e looking for one come visit.

I have been enjoying Spam since WWII when meat was expensive and we could get Spam often and without using our ration cards. When I was stationed in Pearl Harbor we ate very well but the cooks always had five pound cans on hand, it was good for two things, one, was when we were a little tired of rib steaks, it was either hot dogs and beans or Spam in a variety of ways and two, it was a good barter resource when we needed something from the yardbirds.

I will say that I have seen more varieties of Spam in Hawaii than any place in the world including Alaska. Just some usless information.

PS: You could try my Mom's best way even without a oven, slice the Spam and spoon some orange marmalade on top and cook it in your DO, My DW doesn't like orange marmalade so I don't make. Try one of the British marmlades with scotch or brandy or any other liquor in it, YUM!

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
1990 Bounder 27D
06 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
Stowmaster 5000
Blue Ox Apollo Brake Sys.(missing after break in, shopping for new one)

jtrent6415

Omaha

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 05:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love fried spam sandwich...mmmm...and spam hash, chopped up with potatoes and onions. As a kid Dad was too cheap to buy the name brands, so instead of spam we had "Treat" canned meat!

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH
2005 Ford F-250 King Ranch (yes, the dreaded 6.0)
2004 Suburban 1500

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 11:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SPAM & Mackie Cheese
SPAM Omelet with anything you want to put in omelet
SLT.....SPAM Lettuce Tomato Sandwich
SPAM--Pineapple Pizza (can be done in a dutch oven or on BBQ)

And then for your perusal & savory pleasure......SPAM Recipe Exchange

If ever in Austin, MN you really need to check out the SPAM Museum. Gift shop has every flavor of SPAM and restaurants in town have several SPAM items on .........yuuuuummmmmmm

ETex2

E. Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 07:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My favorite way to eat it is sliced about 1/4", fry it up (no extra oil needed!) then a minute or two before you take it out of the pan, put a little of my favorite BBQ sauce in there and brown them up more. Then just eat on a sandwich with sauteed onions or just by itself as an entree. MMMmmmmmmmm

1995brave

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 09:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sliced, fried SPAM and sliced, fried TOFU, with rice.

swtgran

Brimfield, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/12 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Stir up a little brown sugar and some mustard and spread on the top and put in the dutch oven and bake like a little ham.

Sweet and sour stir fry.

Chipped up with some cheese and a dribble of whatever condiment you like with it between bread slices in a pie iron.

Dutch oven quiche.

Kabobs.

Where ever ham can go, spam can go. Terry

Swtgran
2007 Casita 17ft SD
2005 Toyota Tundra

PGR_Skye

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Grandmother used to fry up some thin slices of spam, cook some bacon grease (not much) seasoned potatoes and green beans and have it ready for me when she knew I was coming over for lunch when I was working.

I've cubed it and added to mac & cheese, fried it for sandwiches or on its own and in much leaner, younger times, scored it, punched in some whole cloves then covered with brown sugar to fix like a mini ham. All so good!

Darrell & Madonna
Furkid, GSD Sigfried
2001 Patriot Thunder by Beaver
Jeep Grand Cherokee

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> SPAMalicious Recipes Wanted!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts