RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: SPAMalicious Recipes Wanted!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> SPAMalicious Recipes Wanted!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/22/12 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MPI_Mallard wrote:

"Frau Blucher" is the on-line knickname of my DW who has already said there's no way she's eating anything "Spam",i tried to tell her that 1,244,898 Hawaiians
can't be wrong!!!

Here's what's funny: when I was growing up, Spam was considered a "processed" food...a "mystery meat", if you will. But what's in it? Pork, salt, a bit of potato starch to hold it all together, and a little nitrate to preserve the color.

You'll get more chemicals, handling and processing if you buy what LOOKS like bacon at Walmart- or any other store, for that matter.

Like other former nutritional "ills" such as coffee and real butter, Spam is enjoying a renaissance...an honest food, conveniently preserved and packaged, and wholly without pretense.

Enjoy!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

mike4947

N. Syracuse, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/23/12 12:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A stop in a grocery store will show you a couple of types of spam.
I've seen Spam Light, which I expected to be an empty can LOL, and Turkey Spam. Also IIRC there were several other types/flavors that I can't remember the names of. All where labeled Spam.

blog.rv.net Your daily guide to the Open Road

Subscribe to the daily digest

They say you learn by your mistakes, in that case I must be a genius.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 12:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turkey Spam? Spam LIGHT????

Now, that's just wrong.
I hope no dedicated Spamlover among us will stoop to eating such....I don't even know what to call it!

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

danly wrote:

I haven't found this....still looking. My Mother used to cube a can of spam add cannjed peas, chow mein noodles and bake. I haven't tried it yet, because they don't give spam away anymore. I'm wondering if it was mushroom soup added to it. Recipe or any suggestions?

My mother liked to use chow mein noodles, too- the dry ones, right? I remember them in/on more than one casserole.

I've never heard of your Mother's "Spam" combination, but it sent me looking around for a recipe...

I didn't find a hot dish, but did come across this one for a salad...

I think the thing I like best about it is the NAME: "GARBAGE SALAD". How great is that?
Here's the recipe:

cooks.com wrote:

GARBAGE SALAD
1 can Spam, cut in small cubes
1 sm. jar green olives, sliced
1 can ripe olives, sliced
1 sm. onion, chopped
1/4 c. chopped celery
1 sm. carrot, grated
1/2 green pepper, chopped fine
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped coarse
Chow mein noodles
Put all ingredients together, except noodles, with enough mayonnaise to moisten well. Just before serving, add 1 small bag chow mein noodles, slightly crushed. Mix well.

Spam appetit!

danly

Coon Rapids, MN

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't found this....still looking. My Mother used to cube a can of spam add cannjed peas, chow mein noodles and bake. I haven't tried it yet, because they don't give spam away anymore. I'm wondering if it was mushroom soup added to it. Recipe or any suggestions?

Dan & Twi
99 Cardinal 28rklx
2003 Silverado 2500HD

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

MPI_Mallard wrote:

"Frau Blucher" is the on-line knickname of my DW who has already said there's no way she's eating anything "Spam",i tried to tell her that 1,244,898 Hawaiians
can't be wrong!!!

Here's what's funny: when I was growing up, Spam was considered a "processed" food...a "mystery meat", if you will. But what's in it? Pork, salt, a bit of potato starch to hold it all together, and a little nitrate to preserve the color.

You'll get more chemicals, handling and processing if you buy what LOOKS like bacon at Walmart- or any other store, for that matter.

Like other former nutritional "ills" such as coffee and real butter, Spam is enjoying a renaissance...an honest food, conveniently preserved and packaged, and wholly without pretense.

Enjoy!

Agreed. The main ingredient in traditional Spam is pork shoulder. I find the traditional Spam very salty so I like the low salt version. The wife recently bought Spam "lite" which also contains chicken I believe. Tasted very similar.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> SPAMalicious Recipes Wanted!
Search:   Advanced Search