|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel hitch installation

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
vietvet66-67

southeast penna.

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had mine done in a shop. My arthritis does not want me on my back with arms in the air to do a self install. To me it was worth the $300.00 to have them do it. If your in good physical shape, and handy, do it your self. Just be ready to spend more time than the manufacture say's it will take, (you will need time for a few adult beverages) if you know what I mean

2006 Chevy 3500 DRW LBZ/ALLY LT2 The "DREAM CATCHER"
1999 Newmar American Star Newmar Kountry Klub #19708
Curt Q20 P-2 Controller
LIFE MEMBER OF THE VFW MEMBER 335 "DUALLY CLUB"
"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS KEEP AMERICA FREE"

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 06:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phillyg wrote:

I think ease of installation varies between mfgrs. For example, I notice that on my dealer-installed SuperGlide hitch, one of the removable mounting pins is probably 1/16" out of spec relational to the other three pins, so that installing and removing the hitch from the truck bed is a bit more difficult than it should be. I can imagine I would have had a very difficult time determining how to drill the access holes in the bed accurately, and then properly locating the frame mounting plates in very tight areas. It took the dealer all day to do the work.

Not good!
The above is "why" some of us prefer doing our own work!
No guarantee the dealer (or his employees) know what they are doing!.

A poster a couple of years ago had "dealer installation" - the
dealer drilled holes in the *frame* of his *new* truck in the wrong location!
He had posted a "what do you recommend I do now??" - question.

Fortunately "they" were able to find a different hitch brand that utilized the holes the dealer drilled.

I installed my PR SuperGlide in about 3 hours with a helper.
he had done a hitch before (but not a SG), first one for me.

IMO - could do one in 2 hours now - working at a moderate pace.
BTW - no frame drilling req'd - just the four holes in the bed.

You will get some frame flex and minor bed movement causing the rails and/or the pins to sometimes be a bit "tight" to remove.
A sixteenth of an inch shouldn't be any problem - the pins certainly aren't exactly "precision" pieces, LOL.

A bit of file work on the holes and heavy emery cloth on the pins, then some lubricant will facilitate removal.

For the OP - if you can follow directions - it's no big deal, especially since *no* frame drilling necessary for most hitches.

Hint = put rear of truck on jack stands, remove both *rear* wheels for
easy access to underside of truck.

If you have a question or a problem - call the mfgr tech line.
I did - found PR tech to be very helpful - good quick answer.

~

Dr Quick

M'boro, Tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/12 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have installed two of them. Rather the money in my pocket then someone else. Just make sure that everything lines up and there is no interference with other items under box of truck. I used two drills, one for the pilot hole and the other for the large hole, which helped to speed things up. Also once you have one of the box rails installed, set hitch base into second rail before drilling holes in it. Just in case a measurement is off a bit.

Dr Quick

azandy70

Green Bay WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

John Bridge wrote:

The OP is inquiring about a fifth wheel hitch, not a goose neck hitch.

I had mine installed where I bought it. It was worth it.

The b+w goose neck is required to use their companion fifth wheel hitch.
We have that and I had the dealer install it in my last truck.
I just ordered a Reese slider for our new truck. I'm going to install this myself.

2011 F350 SRW 4x4 Crew cab short box

2012 KZ Stone Ridge. 36UL

jims1

tx

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed my superglide myself. About 6 hrs total, and I was managing my shop at the same time.

'06 Ram with a Cummins
'09 36MAX1 Carrilite
Me, Alie, and Salie
Fulltiming

07PSDCREW

Berlin Ma

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/12 08:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought my 16k round tube slider off craigslist which was practically brand new for 315.00. (lady was asking 450.00) I went on etrailer .com and bought the custom install kit for the f350. Comes with rails and custom truck specific mounting brackets and was a piece of cake to install. 3 hrs total. It helped to watch etrailer's online vids of the install too. The hardest part for me was torqing the main bolts to 212ftlbs when I only weigh 165lbs. Trying to push or pull the torque wrench was pushing or pulling me around on the creeper. (my buddy was laughing at me). I also installed the rv extension plug inside the bed.

As long as you can measure and use basic hand tools, you can do it!!!
Leon

2007 Ford F350 6.0 CC SB
Fully bulletproofed/EGR/ARP Studs
Reese 16k round tube slider hitch.
2000 Damon Hornet 2850BH 5er
Days camped 2011= 34 2012= 46

rusty_poth

Airdrie Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 09:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The last two hitch installs were free so no need to go through the pain of doing it myself, as was said am not getting any younger and if it cost $300 would gladly allow someone else to go through that pain.

Retired 22 years Regular Force (Army/Air Force), 3 years Army Reserves.

2004 Dodge 1 Ton 5.9 Cummins, 2004 Thor Jazz 3100XL 5th Wheel.

glazier

Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 10:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tkarvelis wrote:

I installed a Reese signature series slider in my truck and it was easy. I removed the bolts on the bed to allow room for the brackets to slide between the bed and frame. The brackets bolt together so there was no worry about being out of square. Reese includes a pointed bolt that when you thread up through the brackets towards the bed it puts a dimple on the bed where you need to drill holes in the bed. Take a center punch and knock the dimples back down and drill them. Install the pucks and you are done.

It took me about 4 hours to complete by myself. I needed to purchase a 5/8" bit as I had the 2" (I think) holesaw.

Measure, Measure, Measure.
X2

Happy camping

2014 Grand Design Reflection 337 RLS XPS Ribs
2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax CC/SB/4X4
B&W Companion Slider

tkarvelis

Pittsburgh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a Reese signature series slider in my truck and it was easy. I removed the bolts on the bed to allow room for the brackets to slide between the bed and frame. The brackets bolt together so there was no worry about being out of square. Reese includes a pointed bolt that when you thread up through the brackets towards the bed it puts a dimple on the bed where you need to drill holes in the bed. Take a center punch and knock the dimples back down and drill them. Install the pucks and you are done.

It took me about 4 hours to complete by myself. I needed to purchase a 5/8" bit as I had the 2" (I think) holesaw.

Measure, Measure, Measure.

Happy camping

maryvillept

Jackson, MO

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 08:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DO IT YOURSELF unless you trust some kid installing it. I much rather do my own work if able. It's not hard just a pain. If you have a reese or other that uses universal brackets, do yourself a favor and get the vehicle specific brackets from etrailer.com. They use the holes already in your frame. I personally wouldn't drill my frame plus the universal brackets hit on my 2012 where there was already another bracket. Took me about 3 hours total

2012 Chevy 3500hd crew cab short bed. 6.0 L, 4x4
16k Reese slider hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 38' toy hauler

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel hitch installation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts