|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Junk under rubber roof membrane Update

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cruz-in wrote:

Not what I would want to do, but placing a small piece of Eternabond on top of any "junk" under the roof would IMHO virutally gaurentee it willl never leak.

I wouldn't go that far. The original construction of my slideout used the tape over the joint between the outer flange (where the bulb seals are to seal things off with the slide retracted) and the roof. This was placed over top of 16 pan head square drive screws. Well one of the screws had the square hole a little boogered up. It eventually punched through the tape.

ERS

cruz-in

Southern Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 06:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExRocketScientist wrote:

cruz-in wrote:

Not what I would want to do, but placing a small piece of Eternabond on top of any "junk" under the roof would IMHO virutally gaurentee it willl never leak.

I wouldn't go that far. The original construction of my slideout used the tape over the joint between the outer flange (where the bulb seals are to seal things off with the slide retracted) and the roof. This was placed over top of 16 pan head square drive screws. Well one of the screws had the square hole a little boogered up. It eventually punched through the tape.

Not all tape used one roofs is eternabond. Are you sure yours was eternabond? The tape used Forest River 5th wheel slide was definately not eternabond...much thinner and lesser quality....

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 06:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cruz-in wrote:

ExRocketScientist wrote:

cruz-in wrote:

Not all tape used one roofs is eternabond. Are you sure yours was eternabond? The tape used Forest River 5th wheel slide was definately not eternabond...much thinner and lesser quality....

It was Eternabond alright. I decided to replace all of it, and the screws (countersunk some flat head stainless screws). It took 11 hours and two blisters to remove 13 feet of tape. Since then, I learned I should have used a heat gun and could probably have gotten it off in about 3 hours.

cruz-in

Southern Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 04:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP any word from Jayco, dealership, or roof manufacturer?

57 Panhead

Foothills of the Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cruz-in wrote:

OP any word from Jayco, dealership, or roof manufacturer?

All I can say at this time is that one of the techs at the local dealer thinks the roof is "normal" and I am waiting for a second opinion from another tech. My research tells me that the edge where the material is not adhered to the plywood is not normal.

I have sent photos to the manufacturer of the roofing material and spoke with them.

I have nothing other than that to report at this time but, "things" are happening in the background that I hope will help, time will tell.

Something tells me however that I drew the short straw with this trailer.

Steve

Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B

cruz-in

Southern Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 06:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"My research tells me that the edge where the material is not adhered to the plywood is not normal. "

Are you referring to edge of the roof along the road and curbside? Many manufacturers leave an inch or two of the roofing material unglued there. I do not like it but have seen it on several coaches...

mwebber78

New England

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think he's speaking of the alum. flashing being higher at the end wall then the roof line - that is NOT normal.... My Cruiser had a perfect radius transition from the side wall to the roof - but that's Cruiser.

2013 Jayco Eagle 334RBTS
Disclaimer for the daft: Don't confuse my opinion with facts.

chesterb

Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 07:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mwebber78 wrote:

I think he's speaking of the alum. flashing being higher at the end wall then the roof line - that is NOT normal.... My Cruiser had a perfect radius transition from the side wall to the roof - but that's Cruiser.

I had the same problem with my 2011 Starcraft TT and it was covered under warranty by Jayco (Starcraft is owned by Jayco.) Unfortunately, Jayco isn't standing behind this unit for whatever reason. Makes you wonder why they won't take care of their customer now. It was the exact same issue. The pictures are identical.

2011 Dodge 2500 Hemi, Crewcab, 4x4, 4.10
2013 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2306

57 Panhead

Foothills of the Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cruz-in wrote:

"My research tells me that the edge where the material is not adhered to the plywood is not normal. "

Are you referring to edge of the roof along the road and curbside? Many manufacturers leave an inch or two of the roofing material unglued there. I do not like it but have seen it on several coaches...

I tried to reply from my iPhone a while ago and for whatever reason it didn't work.

Yes I am referring to the edge along the door side of the trailer. The problem runs almost the whole length of the door side. You can check out the pictures on page 4 of this thread. These are just some of the areas. There are actually a few pix that show even worse than what you see here. The road side of the roof edge is not nearly as bad as the door side.

I don't give a hang what Jayco tells me, it is not normal for the plastic corner trim to be that high above the roof plywood.

Steve

cruz-in

Southern Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 05:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just looked at the pictures...now I see what you mean...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Junk under rubber roof membrane Update
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS