RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Junk under rubber roof membrane Update

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Junk under rubber roof membrane Update

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
USA in a Chevrolet

Manahawkin, New Jersey

Senior Member

Joined: 02/25/2007

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/17/12 10:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wandering1 wrote:

I doubt the Amish built the Jayco, Jayco is a low end product.


I can only comment on the 2005 Designer I owned & traveled almost 50,000 miles with. It was definitely not a low end product & their factory support was great. I don't know about the new ones. When I was ready to buy a new fiver the Designer had been replaced by the Pinnacle & my wife & I did not care for the design. We bought a Select Suites by DRV & have been very happy. It is truly designed for full timers.





57 Panhead

Foothills of the Sierra Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/19/12 11:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As I wait for a response from the servicing dealer I have been looking at the roofs of different trailers of other brands and Jayco as well. I have not seen another roof that has the kind of problems that I have, Jayco included. I have also had conversations with independent RV shops and dealers of other brands and showed them the photos, they all seem to agree that the work is sloppy at best and that it should be fixed.

Steve


Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B


Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

Senior Member

Joined: 12/13/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 02/20/12 01:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I sympathize with the OP having roof problems with his Jayco however these are isolated and not the 'norm'.

People seem to jump off the cliff and forget that all manufactures, unless you want to spend $100,000+, build similarly. You pay for what you get!!

With that, and I was in the RV business for 19+ years (did not sell Jayco but was very familiar and very good competion), and the Jayco product was/is is well respected and to single out is just some people venting without a clue.

We could have bought others but Jayco, and the Pinnacle 36kpts in particular, fits our needs and wants.

Want to bash? I have plenty of examples of other manufactures that have their problems, although isolated as Jayco's are, as well.

* This post was edited 02/20/12 02:19am by Us out West *


Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

cruz-in

Southern Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Online
Posted: 02/20/12 04:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Us out West wrote:

I sympathize with the OP having roof problems with his Jayco however these are isolated and not the 'norm'.

People seem to jump off the cliff and forget that all manufactures, unless you want to spend $100,000+, build similarly. You pay for what you get!!

With that, and I was in the RV business for 19+ years (did not sell Jayco but was very familiar and very good competion), and the Jayco product was/is is well respected and to single out is just some people venting without a clue.

We could have bought others but Jayco, and the Pinnacle 36kpts in particular, fits our needs and wants.

Want to bash? I have plenty of examples of other manufactures that have their problems, although isolated as Jayco's are, as well.



Cocnur that one problem does not make a bad manufacturer or they all would be bad. As they all mae mistakes from timt to time. I had similar roof problems(although not quite as bad) and I still think very highly of our manufacturer. I thought my situation was resolved in a reasonable manner. However I do think the critism of Jayco's initial response to the OPs inquiry is reasonable. Although even there everyone has a bad day and makes mistakes. That applies to Warranty Reps also. In the end I think we should judge Jayco on how they handle the problems.

Resolving mine took dialoge, compromise, and listening by both parties. In the end I am happy. The roof is not perfect but I think the actions taken by the manufacturer we reasonable and I do not expect to have any problems. If I do the item has been documented by the manufacturer.

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 11/11/2010

View Profile



Posted: 02/20/12 06:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a frame failure on my 2003 Jayco. After figuring out what happened, I came to the conclusion it was a fluke, and not a systemic quality problem. That said, I will not buy another Jayco. The reason being the response of Jayco. I didn't ask them to repair it, I just asked for some information so I could deal with it properly. They would not answer my simple questions. Given the response that the OP has from them, despite the research they have done since that indicates this unit is another rare fluke, I would expect that they would never buy another Jayco product -- not because of what happened, but because of how it was handled.

If there are any manufacturers reading this, there is a lesson to be learned here -- customer service is just as important as quality. In the case at hand, while it may not be necessary to fix every roof with some debris under it, it may be necessary to take care of the worst of the worst -- which appears to be the OP's roof.


ERS

57 Panhead

Foothills of the Sierra Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/12 07:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Us out West wrote:

I sympathize with the OP having roof problems with his Jayco however these are isolated and not the 'norm'.

People seem to jump off the cliff and forget that all manufactures, unless you want to spend $100,000+, build similarly. You pay for what you get!!

With that, and I was in the RV business for 19+ years (did not sell Jayco but was very familiar and very good competion), and the Jayco product was/is is well respected and to single out is just some people venting without a clue.

We could have bought others but Jayco, and the Pinnacle 36kpts in particular, fits our needs and wants.

Want to bash? I have plenty of examples of other manufactures that have their problems, although isolated as Jayco's are, as well.


I think you are missing my point here, Among the reasons we purchased Jayco high on the list was their reputation for quality workmanship and the high marks they got for customer service. I too believe that you get what you pay for, I didn't expect a Pinnacle at a Super Lite price, but it is fair to expect that if there is an anomaly in the manufacture of a product that a company has a responsibility under the terms of their own written warranty. This roof, in my opinion, falls well within the term "defects in workmanship".

This isn't over yet, and I will continue my efforts to have my roof issues corrected under Jayco's warranty.

Again, We like our Eagle Super Lite and look forward to many years of "happy camping" in our little house on wheels. I just want to feel better that if and when other issues arise, that the company to whom I gave my trust and hard earned money will step up and take care of it and right now I have my doubts about that.

Steve

bad99ram

home

Senior Member

Joined: 06/11/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/12 07:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't give up. I went thru the same process on several issues with my 2010 Eagle. They were resolved by the factory after a long and stressfull process. Keep us informed please on your progress

Gale Hawkins

Murray, KY

Senior Member

Joined: 07/22/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/20/12 07:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExRocketScientist wrote:

I had a frame failure on my 2003 Jayco. After figuring out what happened, I came to the conclusion it was a fluke, and not a systemic quality problem. That said, I will not buy another Jayco. The reason being the response of Jayco. I didn't ask them to repair it, I just asked for some information so I could deal with it properly. They would not answer my simple questions. Given the response that the OP has from them, despite the research they have done since that indicates this unit is another rare fluke, I would expect that they would never buy another Jayco product -- not because of what happened, but because of how it was handled.

If there are any manufacturers reading this, there is a lesson to be learned here -- customer service is just as important as quality. In the case at hand, while it may not be necessary to fix every roof with some debris under it, it may be necessary to take care of the worst of the worst -- which appears to be the OP's roof.


This is the post I have been waiting to read. It deals with the real "issue" in this and all other quality issues.

BMW and MB build quality cars I think 95% of us will agree. They have put out bad cars. They have had large quality issues (thinking of BMW engine block issues of the about 15 years ago) and small quality issues. They have even done some "buy backs".

While this is not actually apples to apples some may claim it does make one point clear I think.

As a company or a sigle person in life we are not judged long term over our mistakes only BUT over how we handle our mistakes and recover from them.

Making mistakes is "human" and the norm.

Making mistakes and refusing to "own" those mistakes shows a lack of being honest with one's self and with others.

Long term dishonest people/companies fail.

57 Panhead

Foothills of the Sierra Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/20/12 07:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bad99ram wrote:

Don't give up. I went thru the same process on several issues with my 2010 Eagle. They were resolved by the factory after a long and stressfull process. Keep us informed please on your progress


But there shouldn't be a long and stressful process. It should be dealt with with as little inconvience to the customer as possible. This seems to be a growing and troubling trend in American business.

Steve

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

Senior Member

Joined: 11/11/2010

View Profile



Posted: 02/20/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

57 Panhead wrote:

bad99ram wrote:

Don't give up. I went thru the same process on several issues with my 2010 Eagle. They were resolved by the factory after a long and stressfull process. Keep us informed please on your progress


But there shouldn't be a long and stressful process. It should be dealt with with as little inconvience to the customer as possible. This seems to be a growing and troubling trend in American business.

Steve

I see your point here. It is the make it such a pain to make a claim on the warrantee that they don't bother. That is why I ended up buying two new batteries for my wifes truck after just replacing them both 13 months prior. Under the terms of the warrantee, I would have had to called emergency roadside service and had them change the batteries, then submit a claim to the battery company. They would have covered the cost of the batteries, but not the roadside service. So I went and spent a metric wallet load of money on a pair of Motorcraft batteries. I can get warrantee replacement by taking them to any Ford dealer.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Junk under rubber roof membrane Update
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS