RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Towing: Tag trailering: anyone use a safety pin/clevis?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tag trailering: anyone use a safety pin/clevis?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/13/12 10:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guarantee you that most of the people you see running without the pin don't know there's supposed to be a pin there. They didn't have anyone to show them. They didn't read the instructions.

Most of the rest are rebels and pioneers who rail against anyone telling them they have to do something "for safety." They've never had a problem, so they don't feel the need for more "safety."

A few surely forgot.

2002 Chevy 3500 DRW/8.1/Allison & 2000 Palomino B1500 popup TC

-Yes, I haul a popup with a dually. No, I don't think I need a dually to haul a popup.

anaro

Mebane, NC

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always use a padlock in my coupler and a locking pin in my hitch along w/ cotter pins to hold the clips closed on my WDH. One time I hauled a uhaul car hauler that closed around the ball w/ a screw/nut type set up and no way to lock it. It drove me nuts worrying the entire trip. I agree the internet and more specifically this site is a wonderful source of info on safe towing. I have learned so much here and still continue to learn every day. I greatly appreciate those that have helped me along the way and I try to help others where I can.

2014 Silverado 3500 Duramax, SRW, Crew Cab, 4WD
2011 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BL
Reese Dual Cam

2 nights camped in 2014!
21 nights camped in 2013!
21 nights camped in 2012!
27 nights camped in 2011!

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoCalDesertRider wrote:

I always use a pin in the coupler latch, and a pin in the hitch receiver. Why would anyone NOT use a pin in both those locations???? That's just stupid, as well as unsafe.

I too use a pin in both locations. When I was younger I was stupid and didn't use a pin on a boat trailer latch. Was in a hurry to get the boat back to the lake. You guessed it, came unlatched and bounced off the ball. Thank goodness for the safety chains. Got a few dents and scratches in the tail gate of the truck. Lesson learned, always use a pin in the coupler latch! LOL

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 151,000 miles
2004 Coachmen 278 RKS Fifth-Wheel
Reese 15K slider hitch

roundown8366

california

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used locking type devices in both the coupler and the hitch.

I, also, lock the pins that connect the toad to my tow bar.

I don't have to be concerned about somebody who lost their pins, borrowing mine.

Raften

Northern Calfornia

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't use a lock on my hitch, just a safety pin type. I used to lock the trailer on but then I watched two people try to get a bass boat off the hitch and pushed away from a burning truck. The key was on the key ring still in the ignition switch inside the burning cab. Truck and the front of the boat burned. I do lock the hitch when not moving.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 02/19/12 08:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

I guarantee you that most of the people you see running without the pin don't know there's supposed to be a pin there. They didn't have anyone to show them. They didn't read the instructions.

Most of the rest are rebels and pioneers who rail against anyone telling them they have to do something "for safety." They've never had a problem, so they don't feel the need for more "safety."

A few surely forgot.

If there is "supposed to be a pin there", why wasn't it furnished with the hitch?
I have one trailer (flatbed), which I purchased a couple years ago, that came with a pin.
The hitch on my boat trailer came with a pin, but I just recently purchased it (the hitch), as well. The hitch that was put on the trailer in 1970 had no pin.
The hitch on my horse trailer has no pin, and no place to put a pin. It is probably 30 years old. Maybe more. It is the sliding lock clamp type forged iron "Bulldog" type hitch, very similar to the one on the flatbed trailer.
Most of the trailers I had long ago had the hand wheel type hitches that had a "safety latch" to keep the wheel from turning and coming loose. No pin, and no place to put a pin. I still see one of those things now and then.
There was also a sliding latch type that had no pin. I still see them occasionally, too.
Some older hitches just don't have any provision for a "safety pin"!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (may become a toad): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

MPond

Thousand Oaks, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/19/12 10:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Raften wrote:

...I used to lock the trailer on but then I watched two people try to get a bass boat off the hitch and pushed away from a burning truck...

I've heard this one many times, and it always makes me wonder how I'd react in this type of situation. I've personally seen how quickly an RV can burn to the ground (but that's another story), and I'm not sure I want to be standing near the engine of a DP that's on fire, trying to unhitch a trailer or a toad.

But I remember a time many years back that I was riding down the highway with my parents in their RV (a front engine gas coach) and the transmission blew. As we were coasting off the highway my brother came over the CB radio (he was behind us) to tell us we were on fire. Apparently the trans fluid hit the hot exhaust manifold and burst into flames. My dad quickly got us over to the shoulder of the interstate, and as my mother and I bailed out and ran for cover my dad grabbed a fire extinguisher and put the fire out.

I remember my mom yelling at him - "Get away from it - it's insured - it's not worth you getting hurt". And of course, my dad's response "But my toys are attached!"

In that case, he was able to get the fire put out safely. But I've wondered if things had gone differently - like a in a rear engine DP - would I want to be standing right next to the enigine bay trying to detach whatever I was towing?

2003 Country Coach Intrigue, Cummins ISL 400
Toad: 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ) toad, with just a few mods...

Other rig: 2005 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax Dually / Next Level 38CK Fifth-wheel Toy Hauler w/ quads, sand rail, etc...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Tag trailering: anyone use a safety pin/clevis?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS