RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Yosemite NP reservations..Need advice

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yosemite NP reservations..Need advice

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
EPenney

Galt, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/12 02:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are going to attempt to obtain a reservation for 7 days for camping this summer in Yosemite NP. From what I've read on the forum, most sites usually are snatched up within 30 seconds or so at 7:00 AM on the 15th of the month for all days within the 30 day period desired. We plan on trying for reservations for the period between July 15th & August 14th.

Would any fellow forum members who are experienced Yosemite campers care to share some strategy for getting reservations?

I am registered at recreation.gov, and am experienced making reservations at NFS campgrounds. I plan on having DW & DD each register, so they can also be on-line & logged-in at 7:00 AM on 15th of March, to improve our chance at getting a campsite. is there anything else we can do to improve our odds?

Thanks.

'07 Chevy 2500HD Silverado "Classic" CC D/A 4x4
'07 Komfort Trailblazer T252FS fifth wheel
Reese Signature 18K Slider and other stuff.....some useful.....some not

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/12 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well it was my first time, but I got the time and site we wanted. I checked out the sites the day before and found a couple that would work with our 35 foot 5ver. On the 15th, I logged into Recreation.gov and tried to reserve one of the sites on the list (before 7 PST). It refused to do the reservation but I had the site on the screen with the reserve now button ready to click. I opened a couple more windows and repeated the process with other acceptable sites. I think I had three tabs loaded on FF.

Then I watched the computer clock, which should be synced to the exact time, and the instant it turned 7:00 (10:00 in my case EST) I hit the reserve now button and got my site. I didn't need the other two but they were there just in case. You have a short window to complete the reservation, only a couple of minutes IIRC or you lose it. That's to prevent people from using multiple windows for multiple sites I assume.

Good Luck

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

klm

SIOUX FALLS, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/12 05:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excellent advice, and right on - you need a trigger finger on your mouse!!! the nps site has all the campsites, length, and a campground map for location of each site. Make a short list of acceptable sites, cc in hand - and good luck.

'02 KOUNTRY STAR DP
2012 HONDA FIT "PUMPKINMOBILE"
GILLIGAN- 1ST MATE CAT - 3 HR TOUR

RVUSA

Orlando, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/12 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

That's to prevent people from using multiple windows for multiple sites I assume.

Wasnt that what you were prepared to do?

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/12 05:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVUSA wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

That's to prevent people from using multiple windows for multiple sites I assume.

Wasnt that what you were prepared to do?

Well no I had them open in case someone beat me to the first site and then I could just click on the second tab and try that one. I have the impression that some people were reserving a number of blocks and then selling the reservations. That's why you have to show an ID when you show up now.

Just out of curiosity I did click reserve now after I completed the first reservation and it was already taken, probably at 7:02 or so. Have your Credit Card (and Access pass if you have one) ready by the way.

lmsteck

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think the advice can get any better than "agesilaus'." Good Luck!

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill - Sheila wrote:

We are planning a trip to Yosemite in May. I just made my reservations for High Sierra RV Park. It is only 16 miles from the NP. I wanted to stay for 3 nights and there is two tours one is free and the other is $20.

I don't know if this will help with your dilemma.

Sheila

i think you'll find out that you're not that close to the Valley floor.
that 16 miles is to the Entrance to the Park, not to the floor.

that will be a long drive from where you plan to stay.
about 90 minutes by car and if there's no traffic.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

creetch

Reno, NV

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/12 09:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would tell you, but then I would be competing with you. ;-)

Greg, Becky, Jack and Ella (kids), Ben and Sydney (dogs)
2007 Dodge 2500 Cummings 5.9
2008 Roo 19

Bill - Sheila

Grayson, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 08:42am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning a trip to Yosemite in May. I just made my reservations for High Sierra RV Park. It is only 16 miles from the NP. I wanted to stay for 3 nights and there is two tours one is free and the other is $20.

I don't know if this will help with your dilemma.

Sheila

LaunchnRetrieve

Sonoma County, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Well it was my first time, but I got the time and site we wanted. I checked out the sites the day before and found a couple that would work with our 35 foot 5ver. On the 15th, I logged into Recreation.gov and tried to reserve one of the sites on the list (before 7 PST). It refused to do the reservation but I had the site on the screen with the reserve now button ready to click. I opened a couple more windows and repeated the process with other acceptable sites. I think I had three tabs loaded on FF.

Then I watched the computer clock, which should be synced to the exact time, and the instant it turned 7:00 (10:00 in my case EST) I hit the reserve now button and got my site. I didn't need the other two but they were there just in case. You have a short window to complete the reservation, only a couple of minutes IIRC or you lose it. That's to prevent people from using multiple windows for multiple sites I assume.

Good Luck

This is a good an ethical strategy.
I never thought of the multiple tabs addition.
Will have to try that. I've been shut out for decades. Used to camp after Labor Day, but all of a sudden my wife decided the kids had to stay in school. Yeah yeah yeah, she's right I'm wrong ...

Good luck to the OP, it's a beautiful place to spend a few days if you can get a site. And don't let the bears get you. Oh my!

2001 F-150 SuperCrew (5.4L with tow package etc)
2003 Fleetwood Prowler 25J
2006 Sea Ray 185 Sport
Always at least 2 dogs in the family (currently chihuahua and chug; RIP Sam, Elvis and Marley)

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Yosemite NP reservations..Need advice
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS