RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Lifestyle: Background check?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Background check?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Free2Range

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you ever had an RV park require a background check for your monthly stay? I could understand a credit check I guess, but a background check?

* This post was edited 02/11/12 03:10pm by an administrator/moderator *

BroncosFan

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/12 03:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

what state? and to they want your SS number?

davelinde

Lake Nona, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/12 03:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

never had one do that (as far as I know).

Do you suppose they should know if they have a felon or a registered offender of some kind there? Seems prudent depending on who they've been attracting for long term stays.

Dave Lindemulder
Tammy, Mark & Kirsten
04 Dodge 2500 4x4 SLT QC/SB HO-CTD/48RE
01 Volvo VNL660 singled VED12
09 Heartland Cyclone 3210

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/12 03:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmdkm wrote:

Have you ever had an RV park require a background check for your monthly stay? I could understand a credit check I guess, but a background check?

a park in Texas wanted us to complete a 12-page application for an *overnight stay*!! sorry, it's their park, their rules but unless i was going to pay with a check a credit check much less a 12-page application form where i'm asked for personal and financial references is out of line. even personal checks can be instantly debited from a checking account these days. same with a credit card. the park will know instantly if the card is good or not. we walked. nice park but no thanks.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Every retired man needs three things....a good truck, a good dog and a working wife

'10 Jeep Liberty KK

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/12 04:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In most states, staying longterm changes the relationship from an Innkeeper status (where the owner can do pretty much anything they wish) to a landlord status (where it may take 6 months or more to evict a bad tennant and you will have to go to court to do it.). Much more risk than just a lost rent payment. A terrible tennant can inflict a lot of damage in 6 months, both physically to the property and to the reputation of the park. Watch the movie "Pacific Heights", it isn't too far from the truth.

Free2Range

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TX park. New owners. No riff raff that we've seen in living nearby the last four years. Owner seems a little high strung given that a city cop and county sheriff live there too.

retired4fun2002

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would welcome that, that way there are no felons, perverts, etc.. If anyone should object, then they have the right to go to another place. Safe travels.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/12 05:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How do you KNOW they want a background check? Just what information did they request? I've never heard of anything like that but if I did they probably wouldn't get the explanation out before I left their parking lot. Of course they can check anything they WANT to check as long as they don't start asking for personal information from me beyond my name address, phone number etc.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

MaverickBBD

Formerly of Bellingham, Wahington, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

She Who Must Be Obeyed worked seventeen years in Law Enforcement. Ten of which was on the Warrants and Fugitives desk. Like she says you may think it is the big bad patrol officer that arrests people but it is the little old white haired ladies with a computer that sends the cops out "to do their duty".

That being said she believes everyone should be "run" if they have nothing to hide. We have past several thousand miles arguing over right to privacy and personal liberty. Now with drone aircraft, face recognition technology, and cameras everywhere I do not think parks need or should require that. Not being law enforcement, they have to have your permission to do such a check. I do not give my permission by NOT staying at such a place.

There are also several systems in which to check all the way from Interpol, Federal (including FBI, DOD and DOS), State DOL and criminal systems and many include welfare and child support. Even after 9/11 a lot of these systems don't 'talk' to each other. So what system are they using to check?

BTW you don't ever want to run an FBI agent or the President of the U.S. I am sure there are others too.

Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/11/12 05:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

westernrvparkowner wrote:

In most states, staying longterm changes the relationship from an Innkeeper status (where the owner can do pretty much anything they wish) to a landlord status (where it may take 6 months or more to evict a bad tennant and you will have to go to court to do it.). Much more risk than just a lost rent payment. A terrible tennant can inflict a lot of damage in 6 months, both physically to the property and to the reputation of the park. Watch the movie "Pacific Heights", it isn't too far from the truth.

I think this has to do more with it than anything else......fine line between inn keeper and landlord.
That CG owner may just be overly anxious but covering his rear end.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Background check?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS