RV.Net Open Roads Forum: The more I research, I-70 W of Denver scares the H out of me

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> The more I research, I-70 W of Denver scares the H out of me

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
deltamaster

Box Elder, SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RicJones wrote:

Don't be in a hurry, enjoy the scenery and you'll be fine. In my old '88 MH I was down to 45 mph for one hill about a mile or 2 long, the rest wasn't bad. A pretty drive through the mountains.

I80 across Wyoming is not bad. A little sparse but not bad. There is a grade between Cheyenne and Laramie that goes through the mountain but it is tolerable and relatively short.

I would not hesitate to go I70 though.

I ride it like I stole it!
.......and I just may have.......

I'm on "CB-13", are you?

2004 Fun Mover with a 1998 Road King and a 2002 Sportster tucked in the garage, Dragging a 2002 "RAM Tough" Dodge Dakota Crew Cab. Ohhh what a haul!

TSgt(Ret.) USAF

deltamaster

Box Elder, SD

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 08:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thing you need to remember is that the interstate system was designed to accommodate cumbersome military vehicles. Your rig is a nimble sports car compared to many of the military vehicles that these roads were designed for so just sit back, relax, enjoy the scenery and take the ride easy!

You can do it and you will be glad you did.

dbbls

Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 08:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drove through there last summer and was surprised when I got to the tunnel. I thought, "where is the steep grade I have always heard about?" Of course I was driving my new Ford diesel.

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

alliemac9

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 12:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as you take the "engine breaking" advise to heart and are not in a hurry, you shouldn't have any problems. I would recommend planning your trip so you'll travel in daylight. Enjoy the views and the wildlife (bighorn sheep, usually) rather than stressing at dusk or dark (lane lines are usually tough to see out here).

2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 people + 2 dogs

Here'n'There

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 10:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No sweat.. just use common sense and the braking technology and EDUCATION you have, or can get online easily.

My rig (see signature) is only a 6.7L Diesel and weighs 24K GCVW. DW and I have traveled coast to coast and back again and have NEVER had an issue on INTERSTATES. Sure... going up a 6 / 7% grade we slow to a ~35mph crawl with the tractor-trailers but so what! Those grades have truck lanes so let the world pass ya by. Besides....FANTASTIC VISTA can be enjoyed much more at those speeds.

Here'n'There
2009 Carri-Lite 36SBQ 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel Dually
On the road with Here'n'There
Role of the C133 in Viet Nam

JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/13/12 08:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having driven I-70 several times, it's not the road that scares me, but the mind-boggling quantity of idiot drivers on it!
Seriously, the OP shouldn't have any problem. Pack extra patience. Avoid the weekend if possible. Winter weekends are worse, especially Sundays.

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X 10 on that. During our skiing years we worked the madness by going up to the mountains on Sunday & coming back on Thursday morning.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

hotpepperkid

Chino Hills CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 08:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Get a copy of Mountain Directory West. I-70 isn't as bad as those roads marked `scenic' on the maps!

I bought that book because everyone I needed it. I looked at it had a few laughts and then tosted it in the trash. All that book does is scare the hell out of people. I-70 most likely the easyest mountain road in CO to trave on

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

crabbin cabin

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 08:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

Dick_B wrote:

Get a copy of Mountain Directory West. I-70 isn't as bad as those roads marked `scenic' on the maps!

I bought that book because everyone I needed it. I looked at it had a few laughts and then tosted it in the trash. All that book does is scare the hell out of people. I-70 most likely the easyest mountain road in CO to trave on

Same here - except I didn't laugh. Some people always recommend that book, seemingly, because they like to scare folks!!

As said many times above - if you use common sense, and do avoid the weekend traffic, I 70 is an easy road across the mountains!

Terrydactile

Bessemer, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/14/12 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This stretch of interstate is one of if not the prettiest stretches in the country. Just take your time and plan to do it in the day light hours and enjoy the views. You will never forget it.

Scott & Theresa Boyd
2 Daughters (Cassie & Brittany)
1 Furkid (Ella, a Basset Golden mix)
2008 Keystone Passport 280BH
2013 F 150 Supercrew EcoBoost XLT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> The more I research, I-70 W of Denver scares the H out of me
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing