|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Fiberglass or stick & tin New camper

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 12:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at two small TTs one fiberglass the other stick and tin for boon-docking. The fiberglass does not have the best floor plan but would work fine. The stick & tin has the floor plan I like but I would think it would be more prone to damage and leaks. Both are 16' TTs 3200# Tin and 3800# fiberglass. What Trailer would you choose. Price is about the same on both and I can easily tow either one.

* This post was edited 02/12/12 01:29am by colliehauler *

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 12:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

your right in my choice ,less leaks the better

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 12:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

You mentioned boondocking. This means that you want something with a larger water tank, and hopefully tanks enclosed in the basement storage, that will not drag on the ground when on a dirt road.

I like the looks of a fiberglass siding, and that style RV looks less than 10 years old. Many family run campgrounds frown on units that look really old, though I was in a campground with both over 55 restrictions and 10 year rule, I passed on both accounts because I had no kids with me, and fixed the owners A/C unit. My fiberglass sided RV does not look 10 years old and is a 1996 model.

In federal campgrounds, there should not be a age restriction, so no problems there. Yet it is nice to have a huge fresh water, grey water and moderate black water tank that are not dragging on the ground when going up to the campground.

I would also be looking at the battery, hitch strength, and possibility to install a second battery.

Fred.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 12:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both are small TH and have stout frames, They are rated to carry as much weight as what they weigh. They also have decent water tanks for there size. Either one I will use two 6 volt batteries. Neither has carpet and both have decent ground clearance.

bioman

Pullman

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 12:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know much about the fiberglass siding but heard it can be a PITA and expensive to repair if you do develop any issues.

Not sure if its any more durable than aluminum siding either.

2012 Shockwave 23FSMX
2010 Dodge 3500 SRW, G56, full deletes
2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 01:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I presume when you say fiberglass you mean the laminated-type construction and not the molded (like on boats) kind.
Given all the delamination horror stories out there, I would definitely choose the aluminum sided rig, especially on an older trailer.

The fiberglass-sided rig is just as prone to seam leakage as the aluminum, but MUCH more difficult to repair.

A leak in an aluminum sided trailer will have no affect on the siding itself, whereas water-damaged laminated "fiberglass" sides will require whole-panel replacement.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 01:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Knowles you are correct in the fiberglass is laminated type construction. Both TTs are new. My main concern is damage from rocks and trees from boondocking.

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 05:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both will have about the same leak problems. The aluminum will dent and show rock ect damage easier. I have redone an old aluminum/stick trailer. Do able and not hard work, just time and money. Had an Airstream for 20 years so understand dents. But you can cover the front of both to stop gravel damage.

If the glass trailer has the steel frame that whips the stick rot problem. Unless its a real big limb the glass would be best. I wonder if perhaps both are not covered material roofs. Having worked on covered material roofs I think they are not so bad to repair limb damage ect. Fiberglass roofs tend to crack from age but can be painted with roof coatings same as the material ones. One piece aluminum is nice but seldom seen.

As long as you take the time to keep the roof, vents ect from leaking on both I would go with the glass as I have had several aluminum and put lots dents in them, a problem I do not have with my glass covered rig.

Other than that go with the one you like. Just haul a pick, axe, chain saw, shovel,Ect and take the time to do what you can to take care of it. Like we have done for years..

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

ata3001

Niagara Falls, NY

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 05:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just went to an RV show. Looks to me like aluminum siding is making somewhat of a come back. I think there were more aluminum sided TT's there than laminated ones this year. I wonder if the trend is reversing & if so, could it be due to the delaminating issues we see so often. Just look at the used section at an RV dealer to see what I mean. Lots of used "issues" for sale.

Ron & BJ
2008 Dutchmen Freedom Spirit FS180 (24 FT) w/full factory dark tinted glass & front window
2007 Dodge Ram 4 WD, Quad Cab, Big Horn Edition, 5.7L Hemi w/tow pkg, 3.92 LSD, Prodigy

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 12:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, if you look at my signature, you can tell my choice!

Jon Vermilye Travel & Photo Web Pages ... My Collection of RV Blogs & Journals
My Travel Journal - Jon's Journeys
Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park, MT

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping

> Fiberglass or stick & tin New camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS