RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Public Lands, Boondocking and Dry Camping: The Ranger said...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Off Pavement

The Silver State - Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 06:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're pretty sure we'll be visiting several national parks and monuments this coming year, so on our recent trip to AZ we decided to buy one of those $80 annual federal access passes. When asked what pass we wanted to purchase by the ranger, I said "the annual pass". The ranger said "you can have the senior pass for $10" (shucks... I'm reminded that the mileage on this old body has been tough now and then), but I reply "I'm not 62 'till next year".

The ranger said "you could lie, nobody here will likely check".

It almost felt like I was being setup. I pulled 4 $20s from my wallet, got my pass, and was on my way.

Still, it bothers me some that with all the talk of federal budget cuts, I was offered a deal of sorts. On the other hand, maybe the ranger was just trying to make me feel better about assuming I was an old geezer.

The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian & Margie
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 06:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you live near some nationl parks like we do you will see few people there unlike a few years back. Perhaps they are just trying to drum up more business. Can not sell things to and charge for things if there are no people.. Just a thought.

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

docj

Fulltime--Home is where we park it

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/12/12 07:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regardless of what you were told, more times than not we have been asked for driver's licenses when we presented our federal senior passes. At Yellowstone we were told they were being required to verify that the person using the pass was, in fact, 62 or older. The same was true at a COE campground we were at recently.

I think the Ranger was trying to be nice to save you a few dollars but you did the right thing.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next year when you turn 62, buy the $10 pass and send me the remaining $70. Maybe that will make you feel better.
I think you did the right thing. The Ranger said 'nobody HERE will likely check'. Maybe he was right, for that park.
No point having a trip ruined or semi-ruined because you knowingly got the wrong pass.

tonyandkaren

pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 07:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been asked for our driver's license too so that the information on our pass could be verified. Signs at the ranger's booth stated that additional identification was required along with the pass. Most smaller parks and monuments haven't required anything but the pass.

I think that you did the right thing too and I also think that the ranger was just trying to save you money because many people don't know about the senior passes.

Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

1mtnman

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 07:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rocky Mountain Nat'l park requires you to show your Golden Age Pass and your drivers license when entering the park.

CREATO

Beautiful Harvey N.D.

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 07:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off It was Wrong of the Ranger to suggest you lie, Second a 75% discount for senior's is a crock. I have nothing against Senoirs as in 10 years from today I will be one, I can see a discount but not 75%. I can see a discount of 75% to a Vet or active duty military. It seems everyone gives a Senoir discount, With no reguard for a young struggeling family. Off Pavement you did the right thing, by your actions I would guess you have tried to do that all your life and would not have a problem paying say $50 for a senior pass.

I dont rent out space in my brain

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 08:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

all vets should get the 75% and not just on camping passes fishing, hunting lic would be nice also.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Creato,
As a senior that has had his life saving destroyed by recent actions and policies, I don't have any problem with this. I am now only collecting social security as my most of my major investments were appropriated and awarded to groups of people that made more than I did during five decades of hard work. Next year we may be forced to become full time in free ONPs as the house will have to go. That will happen when I will be forced to give most most of my social security back to pay for a medical plan that will in a few years only tell me to go home and die with the limited pain management that they will allow.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

docj wrote:

Regardless of what you were told, more times than not we have been asked for driver's licenses when we presented our federal senior passes. At Yellowstone we were told they were being required to verify that the person using the pass was, in fact, 62 or older. The same was true at a COE campground we were at recently.

I think the Ranger was trying to be nice to save you a few dollars but you did the right thing.

Yep, they do check when you enter, at any National Park. We've never been checked at a Forest Service campground. But the place where we bought one checked, too.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Public Lands, Boondocking and ...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS