|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Dinghy Towing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel cost for a towing setup should NOT be a primary factor. Ease of use & convenience along with over-all safety should be the focus.

Some people feel it is a major stumbling block if their current vehicle cannot be towed 4-wheel-down, seeking resolution with a tow dolly. I advise to simply sell that vehicle and buy one that works well for home and also for towing on trips. We did just that, selling our car to a private party, and buying a lightly used Liberty at a discount so the cost was negligable. It could even be profitable for you pending your vehicle choice. People are not married to vehicles so they can be replaced as life needs change.

If towing a vehicle 4-wheel-down, here is what you will need, assuming your motor home is already equipped with a 5000 pound hitch, and is pre-wired for towing having that big black connector in-back.

Our 2006 Liberty is the example given. Click on each to see what the components look like.

- $590 Tow Bar used for any vehicle
- $399 Tow Bar Brackets For Liberty specific for the 2002-2007 Liberty
- $76 Wiring Kit used for any vehicle
- $73 8'/6-Wire Coily Harness used for any vehicle
- $1095 Braking Kit TV-1000K

Prices are off their websites, but I found the same new parts much cheaper being sold on eBay and clearence sale sites.

Prices are cost of components alone. Installation requires moderate skill. If you don't know which end of a screw driver to hold, then hire someone to install everything. I consider the the installation of the tow bar bracket on the Liberty to be easy, our MR2 to be moderate. Wiring of tail lights and the tow brake I selected requires some skill/knowledge in such matters. I installed eveything myself. So for me it was cost of parts alone. With the discounts I found, total cost was around $1600 for our 2007 pre-wired E350 with 5000 pound hitch. Price included tax and shipping.

* This post was last edited 02/18/12 10:53am by ron.dittmer *   View edit history

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

Coach-man

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 03:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ASPENMAN wrote:

The big problem with a tow dolly is where do you put it when you arrive at your destination - not all RV parks have space for them - would a $950 tow dolly have BRAKES????? Very important - or at least the OTHER persons lawyer will think so. Be careful of towing cheaply.

Real easy, you put the dolly in back under the Class C, it will stick out about 4 feet from the back, takes about 30 seconds to set up and no problem! Yes a $950 tow dolly would have surge brakes perfectly legal for what you are towing, it also is equipped with brake lights and turn signals ! Any other questions??

ASPENMAN

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/12 07:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not use a tow dolly - I have demco Commander tow bars - demco base plate and RVi aux brakes and as happy as can be.

Our motto is "keep it simple - make it easy" Tow dollies do not fall into that concept IMHO - to each their own.

BLOGS:
http://rvpainter.blogspot.com
http://art4rvs.blogspot.com
31' Class C NEXUS Phantom 4/4/12
Pressure Pro TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS/Surge

WiFi Ranger Mobile
Cab over entertainment center

Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 05:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2 Wheel Tow Dolly & 4 Wheel Down Towing have one thing in common. You can't back up more than 1 - 2 feet before you start having problems with not being able to control the direction the Towed vehicle goes.

After seeing first hand a family member using a Tow Dolly and how long it took to load & unload the towed vehicle (plus other negative aspects) I decided that was not for me. The Family member also switched over to flat 4 towing.

What works for me may not be the best choice for others, Glad there are options out there.

2006 Winnebago Outlook WF324V
2009 Honda CR-V 2wd TOAD ......Campgrounds in the Smoky Mountains NP
Last Camping trip ->2011 SUMMER SMOKY MOUNTAINS NATIONAL PARK

ASPENMAN

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/12 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amen Kamphiker - well said!

HEMIDAZE

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/12 11:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

travisc wrote:

Some jeep vehicles tow very easily-- I have done the wrangler & cherokees.
Working on a chevrolet cruze next.

STOP!!! GM is in the process of sending out owners manual updates that say you CAN NOT tow a cruze. Check with your dealer and read THIS

2002 Jayco Greyhawk 31RB
2011 HHR (picture coming)

McZippie

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/12 03:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FWIW: Jeep JK or JKU no base plate needed, tow bar folds on RV bumper, so no extra parts to stow away or deal with. Can detach in under a minute, reattach in 2 minutes. The JK has a manual transfer case with neutral position that disconnects both axles.

2009 Ford E350 Diesel Cutaway Limo Bus
2010 Jeep JKU Rubicon (Toad)
1942 Bantam T3 Trailer

travisc

Pacific NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/26/12 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HEMIDAZE wrote:

travisc wrote:

Some jeep vehicles tow very easily-- I have done the wrangler & cherokees.
Working on a chevrolet cruze next.

STOP!!! GM is in the process of sending out owners manual updates that say you CAN NOT tow a cruze. Check with your dealer and read THIS

I have a manual Cruze- they are flat towable-

Winnebago Access 24V

HEMIDAZE

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 05:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are correct. You did not say it was manual in your post and I paniced. Sorry.

Stennis

Starkville, Mississippi

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am way too far out of date. However, some years ago I towed a Jeep Cherokee. Several have mentioned just put transfer case in neutral. It may not matter now but as I recall, the transmission had to be in park. That may not matter now. Whatever one gets, just be sure to read owner's manual very closely and follow.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Dinghy Towing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS